SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Feb 14, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #361 of 544
Did Apple finally cut support to the third party cables?

I have the FiiO L19 cables which were working with my iDea and iPhone X just last month but after a string of new updates, doesn't appear to work anymore.

Will check with my iPad as well

However the camera kit cable does work with th iDea
Just checked mine and the L19 is normally working with the iOS 11.2.5. Try restarting your iPhone. I had some issues with the Airplay after the latest update, couldn't find any devices in the network.. After switching off and on, everything was OK.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #362 of 544
Just checked mine and the L19 is normally working with the iOS 11.2.5. Try restarting your iPhone. I had some issues with the Airplay after the latest update, couldn't find any devices in the network.. After switching off and on, everything was OK.

Really? I'm using 11.2.5 too and restarted the phone twice, and still not working
I also tried on my iPad and it did not work either
When plugging the lightning end into my iOS devices with the FiiO cable, I see that the SMSL turns blue and than starts flickering red. I can hear an audible pop as well.
I than try the same exercise with my camera kit cable, and no issues working (just a few occasional pops)

I am sharing these videos so you can see what I mean
Sorry for being all over the place with the camera, I was one handing the recording

Not Working
(FiiO Cable)
https://streamable.com/vnf1h

Working (Apple Camera Kit Cable)
https://streamable.com/jtq2r

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #363 of 544
Really? I'm using 11.2.5 too and restarted the phone twice, and still not working
I also tried on my iPad and it did not work either
When plugging the lightning end into my iOS devices with the FiiO cable, I see that the SMSL turns blue and than starts flickering red. I can hear an audible pop as well.
I than try the same exercise with my camera kit cable, and no issues working (just a few occasional pops)

I am sharing these videos so you can see what I mean
Sorry for being all over the place with the camera, I was one handing the recording

Not Working
(FiiO Cable)
https://streamable.com/vnf1h

Working (Apple Camera Kit Cable)
https://streamable.com/jtq2r
Strange...just checked with the iPad Air2 and the iPad Pro, works fine. Are you sure that it is not a faulty FiiO cable?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #364 of 544
I have two of them, and both are producing the same results. I really don't think they are faulty but its definitely not the iDea so not sure.
Will try on some other phones as well but no go on my iPad either.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #366 of 544
I think that should be a good match, those ESS DAC lean towards a somewhat bright wide open sound...and those Meze headphones are very easy to drive, should sound nice...

I just ordered a unit that will now accompany my Meze 99 Classics.
Does anyone know how they match together?
On paper I think may be good, because the Meze are a bit dark and sure to feel good a little brightness.

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #367 of 544
I just ordered a unit that will now accompany my Meze 99 Classics.
Does anyone know how they match together?
On paper I think may be good, because the Meze are a bit dark and sure to feel good a little brightness.
I'm not good at reviewing but to my ears they work just fine together. Of course there are better devices but at this price range you really can't go wrong.
My perfectly portable couple:
10045148.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #370 of 544
Does the DA3 work straight out of a phone? How much power does it draw? Which calbes are included? Is is (and dthe DA2) more on the warmer or brighter side?

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #372 of 544
guys I want to buy sabaj da2 or sabaj da3 ... I need more volume from android lollipop android system... can I get more volume boost from these sabaj da2/da3 ... what to do you think guys... I suffer from very low volume at some iems... I want to boost the volume to some serious levels

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #374 of 544

(Click the above Image to view larger size)

The Sabaj DA3 is a really good sounding piece of equipment, in both desktop (as a standalone DAC feeding a more powerful amp) and portable (like above or with a laptop) settings. It doesn't have a ton of output power, even if you opt to use the 2.5mm balanced port but for low impedance, high sensitivity loads like the Massdrop Plus IEM I have pictured there, it's a satisfyingly powerful setup that sounds great. I've had the DA3 for a while and it's a great performer, no matter what I've thrown at it so I'm very pleased with it for the $96 or so I spent on Amazon.

Hi TheGame21x,

Thank you for this information. I have Sabaj DA3 which works on my laptop without any issues. But this doesn't work on any of my mobile device. I have tried it on Lenovo Z2 Plus, Lenovo K5 Plus, Oneplus 5T, but it doesn't work with any of them. It doesn't get powered on.

Your setup looks promising. Can you help me with the "hub" that you are using so that I can also try the same setup?

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #375 of 544
Hi TheGame21x,

Thank you for this information. I have Sabaj DA3 which works on my laptop without any issues. But this doesn't work on any of my mobile device. I have tried it on Lenovo Z2 Plus, Lenovo K5 Plus, Oneplus 5T, but it doesn't work with any of them. It doesn't get powered on.

Your setup looks promising. Can you help me with the "hub" that you are using so that I can also try the same setup?

The hub I'm using isn't really a "hub", it's Apple's proprietary Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit, which has a lightning port built in for powering devices that need more power than an iPhone/iPad can provide, which is the only way I can use the Sabaj DA3 with my phone. The DA3 requires too much power to run from a phone alone, so it needs to be connected to a hub of some sort with external power. There are a number of USB OTG hubs for android devices that should allow you to connect a battery pack/external charger to power the DA3. I hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back