Smoothest sounding but spacious closed headphones.
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Synthax

500+ Head-Fier
Dear Headphone Lovers,
After a period of use my HD650 and T70 I've noticed a need of closed headphones (due to my environment) similar in sound to HD650. Of course I did dig many threads but it is hard to find right recomendations. To me Denon D7000, D2000.. D7100 are not enough smooth. Thay got solid bass base but are far from smoothness. 
If there exist even smoother headphones than HD650...The better.

Which models do you can propose. I'd like to make this thread a place to share experience in this metter as it is common problem for quite a few users.

Budget is secondary problem. I'd rather like to find a solution and later on safe money for it.

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 28
Aren't the Beyerdynamic T70 headphones closed headphones?
(My T70 headphones are closed)

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 28
I do like T70 very much. They are spacious, detailed, balanced. But sometimes the female vocals sound smoother with HD650. And some bad recordings do not sound as forgiving as with HD650. That's why I look for a third pair. 

Which more expensive models do you mean Maximum Sandvich ?

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 28
AT A900X, smooth mids and treble. Really good soundstage

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 28
  Dear Headphone Lovers,
After a period of use my HD650 and T70 I've noticed a need of closed headphones (due to my environment) similar in sound to HD650. Of course I did dig many threads but it is hard to find right recomendations. To me Denon D7000, D2000.. D7100 are not enough smooth. Thay got solid bass base but are far from smoothness. 
If there exist even smoother headphones than HD650...The better.

Which models do you can propose. I'd like to make this thread a place to share experience in this metter as it is common problem for quite a few users.

Budget is secondary problem. I'd rather like to find a solution and later on safe money for it.

Heya,

No need to spend a single dollar, friend.

Equalize.

Simply drop the treble in an equalizer while using your T70. Drop 12khz, 10khz, 7khz, 5khz by about 3db. Keep tweaking from there to taste. Retain everything, while removing the spikes of treble and you'll have fatigue free (read again: free) listening.

Very best,

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 28

Equalize.

Isn't that the same as doing your child's homework for them so they will get good grades?

OP, I'm not sure what is smoother than the HD650 in closed that is also spacious sounding. Smoother than 650 would head into dullsville.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 28
Thank you very much for all recommendations till now. I will think about equalizer. If it is good quality unit - why not. Any dedicated brands, types?

Today I did borrow HE-500. They are open cans. But, wow, even smoother than HD650. How sweet are cellos and violins. These cans are fresh out of the box but I have few days to test them and burn in slightly. Seems to be very nice ones. But why not closed... What a pity... :frowning2: 

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 28
My good friend, the audio technica esw9 is that which you seek.

I agree, they may be cheap but they're the closest you can get closed headphone with HD650 signature (but technically inferior). Spacious is a tall order though, HD650 is an open headphone but they're not exactly spacious sounding either IMO.

Oh and you asked for TH900, I've only heard TH600 but people said they're very similar or at least share the same sound signature and I can tell you that they're among the farthest sounding cans from HD650.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 28
Mad Dogs are very smooth

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 28
  I agree, they may be cheap but they're the closest you can get closed headphone with HD650 signature (but technically inferior). Spacious is a tall order though, HD650 is an open headphone but they're not exactly spacious sounding either IMO.

Oh and you asked for TH900, I've only heard TH600 but people said they're very similar or at least share the same sound signature and I can tell you that they're among the farthest sounding cans from HD650.

Thank you for an information about TH900..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back