Small battery headphone amp to use with phone
Jun 18, 2023 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rthorntn

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Looking for a small battery powered headphone amp to use with my phone, preferably long and slim to go in a phone "sandwich", is there such a thing?

Bonus points for finding a small low power USB DAC to go in-between the phone and the amp, Android and Roon ARC compatible?

Thanks.
Richard

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, I was thinking separate DAC and amp, I've had trouble with USB devices with batteries charging themselves from my phone. I'm assuming the DAC function uses very little battery, that the amp uses all the power and having batteries in the amp would be good, the fact that the amp isn't connected to the phone USB port means no charging issues?

Jun 18, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 10
The market in general has moved away from making pure portable headphone amp for the past few years now. It is much easier in this age and time to find really good sounding self-powered DAC+amp than to find separated pure USB DAC and headphone amp, especially on reasonable price and size. For example, the Khadas Tea mentioned above actually won't draw power from the smartphone as an DAC+amp unless you pressed a certain key combo. Another example is FiiO BTR7, which can be used as DAC+amp and has an external switch to disable charging from the smartphone. There are other examples but they are usually more of a full sized DAC+amp opinion.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 10
FiiO Q3 or Topping NX7...

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 10
MASS-Kobo's 475 is the current FOTM, but it's not exactly long, nor slim. Personally, I've long been a fan of @justin w.'s Pico Slim. Perhaps that will work?

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Perhaps the Periodic Audio Rhodium USB DAC Amp to the Periodic Audio Nickel amplifier might be a workable option for you. Workps great with my cellphones, draws minimal power, sounds super and can easily power my most demanding IEMs. Both components are tiny and easily carried anywhere. Only SE however, no balanced capability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back