Slimdevices Transporter Review
Jan 31, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Transporter be used as a pre-amp?

Yes, the Transporter works quite nicely as a preamp (so does the SB3) but it's important to properly match input sensitivity between poweramp and the Transporter.

Regards,
Michael

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mglaudiolabs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the Transporter works quite nicely as a preamp (so does the SB3) but it's important to properly match input sensitivity between poweramp and the Transporter.

Important qualification: The Squeezebox can only be used as a preamp for networked streaming audio. The Transporter has digital inputs, but not analog inputs, so it can be used as a preamp for other transports, but you can't use it as a preamp for something like a tuner or turntable that has only analog output, nor can you use it as a preamp for high-rez digital players (SACD, DVD-A) that only output signal via analog.

So, to say that these devices are preamps is true so some extent, but your source choices are limited.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Important qualification: The Squeezebox can only be used as a preamp for networked streaming audio. The Transporter has digital inputs, but not analog inputs, so it can be used as a preamp for other transports, but you can't use it as a preamp for something like a tuner or turntable that has only analog output, nor can you use it as a preamp for high-rez digital players (SACD, DVD-A) that only output signal via analog.

So, to say that these devices are preamps is true so some extent, but your source choices are limited.

you are truncating the resolution when you do digital attenuation.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #64 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are truncating the resolution when you do digital attenuation.

Correction: You MAY BE truncating the resolution when you do digital attenuation, but it depends upon the available headroom. A correctly done digital attenuation system can be quite good. I think some company named Wadia has done a little in this arena.
wink.gif

If you really wanted to use the transporter as a preamp with an analog source you would first have to run that source into an ADC and then into a digital input on the transporter.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #65 of 83
And of course, most analog attenuation introduces noise and reduces dynamics, both of which effectively truncate resolution...

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And of course, most analog attenuation introduces noise and reduces dynamics, both of which effectively truncate resolution...

?? huh maybe the $5 pots do that, but most decent stuff are pretty linear, and if you move on to DACT or switched resistor network stuff the noise is an nonissue.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #67 of 83
found this on '' trustedreviews.com

"It is clearly a country mile better than the Squeezebox 3 and Sonos' wireless music system. But it isn't, alas, as good as a traditional CD or SACD player of similar price. In back-to-back listening sessions against a Unison Research Unico CD player, which incidentally sells for £100 less than the Transporter, it lacked the punch, presence and sheer excitement on offer from the humble disc spinner. Where the Transporter was clinically accurate, and revealed as much detail, it simply didn't project the music into the room as much as the CD player did. The imaging wasn't quite as holographic; the presentation much more laid back. And although these sorts of listening tests are, inevitably, subjective, the difference was large enough that I'd find it hard to believe that, in a panel listening test, that the majority would do anything but plump for the CD player over the Transporter... every time."

certainly another perspective.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also surprising Zanden measures the abs worst amongst them and much worse than 'average' CDP in general. Are we just measuring the wrong things?

it must have the right combination of distortions to make it sound good.

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #70 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, Please help me out; would any of you say the transporter could challenge a VDA-2?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221401

X2 - I'd be extremely grateful if someone would answer this question (preferably from ownership experience)

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #72 of 83
Quote:

Honestly, Please help me out; would any of you say the transporter could challenge a VDA-2?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221401

Matt,

I have no experience with the VDA-2 but I have plenty of experience with my exceptional Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 (I think it's exceptional anyway). I received my Transporter two weeks ago. The sound is fantastic! Enough that I sold my Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp and use the Transporter to drive my Bryston 7B-SST directly.

I have to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with the Transporter! Although it sounds fantastic, I have to say that the convenience is by far its major attribute (again not diminishing the sound quality). I work from home and don't have time to get off my rear end and change CD every 3 tracks. I now listen to music ten times more then I use to -- and I'm not exaggerating!

Compared to my Line 2, the mids may not be as voluptuous... then again, the Line 2 cost twice the Transporter 8 years ago... Did it sound better with the preamp in between the Transporter and the Brystons? Of course since the Line 2 a tube preamp and rounds the edges of SS devices. However, not enough to keep it around.

After two weeks, the Transporter has "mellowed out" and the edges are rounder and less sharp (as in less SS and less fatiguing). It packs PLENTY of punch and dynamics with great clarity and sparkle.

Rating: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

What do I wish the Transporter did differently? I'm really nit picking here... but I the interface is web-based which means that the controls are in "steps" rather than continuous. For example, the volume is increased in steps of 5dB on the interface. I would prefer the "continuous" interface of iTunes for example. It's really a minor point since the remove offers 0.5dB increment on the volume for example.

Here is my system for reference purposes: [size=x-small][size=xx-small]Slim Devices Transporter > Black Sand Cable Violet Oyaide 079 2m to Hydra 4 and Virtual Dynamics Master 8' from Hydra 4 to wall with WattGate 381 > Virtual Dynamics Master XLR 1m > Bryston 7B-SST > Nordost Red Dawn Bi-Wire 3m > Tannoy S10 | [/size][size=xx-small]Singlepower Concerto ES (review coming)
[/size]
[/size]

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #73 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrgeoffrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matt,

I have no experience with the VDA-2 but I have plenty of experience with my exceptional Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 (I think it's exceptional anyway). I received my Transporter two weeks ago. The sound is fantastic! Enough that I sold my Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp and use the Transporter to drive my Bryston 7B-SST directly.

I have to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with the Transporter! Although it sounds fantastic, I have to say that the convenience is by far its major attribute (again not diminishing the sound quality). I work from home and don't have time to get off my rear end and change CD every 3 tracks. I now listen to music ten times more then I use to -- and I'm not exaggerating!

Compared to my Line 2, the mids may not be as voluptuous... then again, the Line 2 cost twice the Transporter 8 years ago... Did it sound better with the preamp in between the Transporter and the Brystons? Of course since the Line 2 a tube preamp and rounds the edges of SS devices. However, not enough to keep it around.

After two weeks, the Transporter has "mellowed out" and the edges are rounder and less sharp (as in less SS and less fatiguing). It packs PLENTY of punch and dynamics with great clarity and sparkle.

Rating: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

What do I wish the Transporter did differently? I'm really nit picking here... but I the interface is web-based which means that the controls are in "steps" rather than continuous. For example, the volume is increased in steps of 5dB on the interface. I would prefer the "continuous" interface of iTunes for example. It's really a minor point since the remove offers 0.5dB increment on the volume for example.

Here is my system for reference purposes: [size=x-small][size=xx-small]Slim Devices Transporter > Black Sand Cable Violet Oyaide 079 2m to Hydra 4 and Virtual Dynamics Master 8' from Hydra 4 to wall with WattGate 381 > Virtual Dynamics Master XLR 1m > Bryston 7B-SST > Nordost Red Dawn Bi-Wire 3m > Tannoy S10 | [/size][size=xx-small]Singlepower Concerto ES (review coming)
[/size]
[/size]

singlepower concerto es?? how much did u pay for it?

And can u get a dac with word clock in and try slaving the transporter to see if there is improvement. Some1 reported a realism injection with emm lab.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #75 of 83
Quote:

[size=large]jrgeoffrion,[/size]
Can you stream through directsound in realtime via RJ45?

BTW that's some serious straight though system you got there. What's the final THD?

Matt,

You can stream via wireless or the standard LAN cable. I personally prefer the wired option. Another great feature is that you can listen to Internet radio directly from the Transporter without having your computer turned on.

If you'd like, you can download the software from http://www.slimdevices.com/download/ and tryout the various features and access the manual.

The bottleneck in my system is currently my speakers that could benefit from better definition in the upper frequencies. I'm looking at some interesting alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back