slightly scared i'm going to burn down my office - would a $300 solid state be a big step down from my 336se?
Sep 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

francoamerican

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 336se that I love with dt880 / 600 - i've posted a few things about it over the past weeks as I've been using a ton.

I am thinking about a used audio gd c2c or something like that though because I am having OCD about accidentally leaving the 336se on and ruining my livelihood.

FA

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 12
Have you thought about using a timer?  You could buy one that allows the amp to be on from, say, 9AM-5PM, then it automatically turns off.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 12
I appreciate your reply "Uncle Erik" your posts were sort of what scared me about the issue in the first place!

The problem is I am on the road a lot and am fortunate enough to have a private office so it would be hard to have the timer give me a lot of assurance.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 12
How about just remembering to turn it off when it's not being used?  It's ridiculous you're thinking of selling an amp you like just because you're afraid of forgetting to turn it off. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 12
Its an office. I go to my office to work. I have headphonegear in my cube, but I cant remember the last time I reallllllllly critically listened to it.

If you would be more comfy with a SS amp, go for it. 

As an aside, I am freaked out by the idea of "exposed tubes" in an office. Breaking a tube is bad news in ooh so many ways.

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 12
From you post I can't discern if you are more concerned about sound quality or loosing your livelihood? Just get a good insurance and stop worrying...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 12
There are all sorts of nifty digital timers out there. You could probably find one where you could punch in a few hours of time when you get there as a prerequisite to turning on the amp. If you're still there when time runs out, put a few more on. Then if you run out and forget to turn it off, the timer will take care of it in an hour or two.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I appreciate your reply "Uncle Erik" your posts were sort of what scared me about the issue in the first place!

The problem is I am on the road a lot and am fortunate enough to have a private office so it would be hard to have the timer give me a lot of assurance.

I think that he means one of those timers that operates continuously and 'turns off' the AC outlet at a certain time everyday, and then turns it back on. My grandma (and grandmas around the world) uses it when they go on vacation. It's like this http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SA130-Digital-Lamp-Timer/dp/B000F5MUQC, except that her's is from the 1970s or something...

EDIT: I'll love someone forever if they could tell me how to rename links in the new system. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
EDIT: I'll love someone forever if they could tell me how to rename links in the new system. 

Easiest way is to type what you want the "name" to be, highlight, and then insert link using the link button

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 12
+1 for the timer.

Franco, the timer everybody is talking about is connected to your amp and turns the amp off automatically, it's not a timer you carry on you.

It would be set up something like this:

wall outlet -> timer -> (surge protector if you use one) -> amp -> ...

This way the timer can turn off not just your amp, but everything else that's connected to the surge protector, such as your music source, DAC, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back