Sleek SA6
Apr 29, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #691 of 1,423
i see...hopefully the sleek wont travel down the same path =D

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #692 of 1,423
Personally, I think what tends to happen is if a new product happens to catch fire - which the SA6 has - more people are going to give them a try. In turn, you've got a wider variety of subjective ears giving them a listen. Some of them will like them, some of them will love them, some of them will go "eh" and some of them will hate them. Its what makes this hobby so darn interesting IMO. So far, most of the people here that have been posting really like the SA6. I happen to be one of them. If those who tried them and find they are not their cup of tea and post as such, I wouldn't consider that "bashing" them. It is just a differing opinion.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #693 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think what tends to happen is if a new product happens to catch fire - which the SA6 has - more people are going to give them a try. In turn, you've got a wider variety of subjective ears giving them a listen. Some of them will like them, some of them will love them, some of them will go "eh" and some of them will hate them. Its what makes this hobby so darn interesting IMO. So far, most of the people here that have been posting really like the SA6. I happen to be one of them. If those who tried them and find they are not their cup of tea and post as such, I wouldn't consider that "bashing" them. It is just a differing opinion.

X2

Good post warrior05!

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #694 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

Good post warrior05!

X3

Excellent insight! Glad some ppl use their brains
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #696 of 1,423
True dat. As for Sleeks being FOTM, I just don't see it. I was one of those early Vibe buyers (first gen, when they sounded okay). But my quest for a better phone led me to sell them before I had any build problems. Then, the bottom fell out with Gen2.

I seriously doubt that Sleek is going to let their QA go to hell, and certainly they won't be monkeying with the basic sound sig of the SA6s. So far, anyone who has had build issues got great customer service. Can they compete with Shure, UE and Senn on marketing dollars. Not a chance. But they provide high quality at medium prices (compared to the price leaders).

Warrior's post says it all.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #697 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2

Very nice insight warrior05
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #698 of 1,423
I know SA6 sound really good, I had them for almost a month!
rolleyes.gif

They were very musical and involving, but only problem that I had was they don't go with my main preference of music (only fast paced electronica).

I am sure that SA6 will not be the FOTM.
wink.gif

Long live SA6! long live Head-Fi!
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True dat. As for Sleeks being FOTM, I just don't see it. I was one of those early Vibe buyers (first gen, when they sounded okay). But my quest for a better phone led me to sell them before I had any build problems. Then, the bottom fell out with Gen2.

I seriously doubt that Sleek is going to let their QA go to hell, and certainly they won't be monkeying with the basic sound sig of the SA6s. So far, anyone who has had build issues got great customer service. Can they compete with Shure, UE and Senn on marketing dollars. Not a chance. But they provide high quality at medium prices (compared to the price leaders).

Warrior's post says it all.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #699 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know SA6 sound really good, I had them for almost a month!
rolleyes.gif

They were very musical and involving, but only problem that I had was they don't go with my main preference of music (only fast paced electronica).

I am sure that SA6 will not be the FOTM.
wink.gif

Long live SA6! long live Head-Fi!
icon10.gif

I wondering if the sluggishness with electronica is because of the depth you had the SA6 in your ear. To me, the sound suffers greatly when you push them in too far. The best sound is when they are worn UE style (entrance to canal). They do tend to sound a little muddy and congested when I push them in too far.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #700 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wondering if the sluggishness with electronica is because of the depth you had the SA6 in your ear. To me, the sound suffers greatly when you push them in too far. The best sound is when they are worn UE style (entrance to canal). They do tend to sound a little muddy and congested when I push them in too far.

I find that also, pretty much as you describe; I find the whole sound(stage) compressed, jumbled and muffled when I had them too far in, but, though I may be wrong- I havnt worn the sa6 deep since i found the quality in the shallow fit and would have to try it again/compare the sound these fit alternatives give again to confirm it-, I found the bass response a bit clearer and more obvious and emphasised this way. Much shallower is the way for me too and now that i've grown accustomed to the sound of these phones i really enjoy the bass with this fit!

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #701 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did everything i could with them. I inserted them very deep with q-Jays foamies, and also tried with large bi-flange tips so they were seating outside canal but with perfect seal.

I prefer Triple for so much better SQ. They are specially much better at handling electronica genre, period.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #702 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did everything i could with them. I inserted them very deep with q-Jays foamies, and also tried with large bi-flange tips so they were seating outside canal but with perfect seal.

I prefer Triple for so much better SQ. They are specially much better at handling electronica genre, period.
biggrin.gif

Fair enough. Being a former TripleFi owner I understand the appeal.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #703 of 1,423
From me, fair enough also. Not that I can speak from experience as I havnt tried the triples but surely you would expect them to perform better and be capable of somewhat more sonically anyway cos they employ 3 drivers over the single armature employed by sleek? I'm not saying one would be expected to synergise with their sound signature more by this, that I would still expect to be as subjective as ever, however that the sound quality they produce should be to a higher standard, if you see what I mean. Would that be fair comment?

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #704 of 1,423
One thing I have learned fitting hearing aids for the last 10 years, is that even if two people have the exact same hearing loss and nearly identical ear canals they will want their hearing aids to be set completely different. Often we are astonished at some patients think is a perfect hearing aid.

That is why companies such as Siemens, Resound, Knowles, Sonion, Starkey, Oticon the list goes on; all have a different views and ideas on fitting the perfect components and perfect settings so we can sell their $6000 hearing aids.

The same goes for earphones. If someone does not like the SA6 but finds something they love in another product than I could not be happier. The Sleek team has another person to build a product for and that is how innovation is spawned.

Our sound signature is really not an "in your face" feel. We preferred giving all the detail we could without creating audio fatigue. For some people that is not enough i.e. (having a snare drum overpower the rest of the music) and I am glad they have found their "audio fingerprint" as we call it. I have seen many people that say iPod earphones or Bose in-ears are the best. Music should be enjoyed anyway and anytime we the individual desires.

All I can ever ask is to give it more than one day or an hours listen when deciding on any product. I have had people that wanted to return from this site only to change their minds after playing with the treble and bass (more is not always better for everyone) and become our biggest advocates.

All of us manufacturers offer trial periods for just these reasons and of course when the next products are released we always hope customer service brings you back.

Jason

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #705 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that also, pretty much as you describe; I find the whole sound(stage) compressed, jumbled and muffled when I had them too far in, but, though I may be wrong- I havnt worn the sa6 deep since i found the quality in the shallow fit and would have to try it again/compare the sound these fit alternatives give again to confirm it-, I found the bass response a bit clearer and more obvious and emphasised this way. Much shallower is the way for me too and now that i've grown accustomed to the sound of these phones i really enjoy the bass with this fit!

Not to mention of course that they are a bit more comfortable worn shallow, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back