Sleek SA6
Apr 26, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #676 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already widen my B+ with a needle, and frankly it doesn't show much difference before it was widen (I have two pair of B+ ports to compare so I know).

Actually, I currently prefer my own B> port to all the stock ports.

Fair enough like but I'm glad you clarified that the hole will widen with that action. I'll deliberate over that for a bit as I am happy enough with the = port. But a lil bit more injection in the bass department would be nice, not much but an extrapolation and enhancement of the = port bass. In your review you describe the bass+ to be more like this and not like me or danosaurus found it to be. Can I just ask you to confirm this and maybe expand upon how you find the bass + port a bit more and/or now, after more time with it?

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #677 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough like but I'm glad you clarified that the hole will widen with that action. I'll deliberate over that for a bit as I am happy enough with the = port. But a lil bit more injection in the bass department would be nice, not much but an extrapolation and enhancement of the = port bass. In your review you describe the bass+ to be more like this and not like me or danosaurus found it to be. Can I just ask you to confirm this and maybe expand upon how you find the bass + port a bit more and/or now, after more time with it?

I think we are describing the same thing, but with different opinion on how thing should sound. The B= port has a full body to it, but I find the bass to be slow thus mud things up a bit. B+ port doesn't have this problem, but it also takes the full body away. If you compare it to ER6i (as my review did), you will find the mid is still full, just not as full as how B= port will sound - this is all talking in a comparative way. Also, I also suspect you are interpreting fuller body (B=) vs. less fuller body (B+) as more bass vs. less bass. I don't hear it that way. To me the body has more to do with mid than to bass.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #678 of 1,423
Hmm, I am kinda liking the bass= port. Does seem a bit muddier, though. It certainly isn't weak, just different than bass+

And the mids seem stronger, a bit. I am cheating, though, as I used EQ on the Sansa e270 to perk the bass up a bit.

I need more back and forth (wish I had two pair of SA6s for the comparison, one with each port). Taking them in and out can cause me to lose of train of thought, so to speak. But I will try a few times they are easy to replace.

Edit:

Maybe just a crazy moment, but I do favor the bass= treble+ combo, over the bass+treble+ (not really into the treb++ tip, for whatever reason). Don't really have any audiophile explanation, just favor the sound.

I hear the fuller bass= sound, richer. I went back and forth on a couple of cuts, and I definitely seem to favor the bass= ports. And I agree about the mids. They now seem cleaner, crisper on vocals.

Funny, but I never even tried the bass= before. To me, this is part of the SA6 fun/experience. Flexibility to suite your tastes. I am going to stick with the bass= port for the time being. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #679 of 1,423
It's been awhile since I listened with the = bass port but from my recollection the upper bass wasn't all that different from the + bass port in the upper bass, where the difference really showed through was in the lower bass. Using the = bass port some aspects of the mids may also be just a touch more forward if I remember correctly.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #680 of 1,423
Quote:

I think we are describing the same thing, but with different opinion on how thing should sound. The B= port has a full body to it, but I find the bass to be slow thus mud things up a bit. B+ port doesn't have this problem, but it also takes the full body away. If you compare it to ER6i (as my review did), you will find the mid is still full, just not as full as how B= port will sound - this is all talking in a comparative way. Also, I also suspect you are interpreting fuller body (B=) vs. less fuller body (B+) as more bass vs. less bass. I don't hear it that way. To me the body has more to do with mid than to bass.

I realise bass into mids into treble is a continuim but hadnt defined my listenin exp the way you do before. Maybe I am gettin confused I dunno now. I like bein able to soundstage and appreciate instrument differentiation/separation and clarity and so I have assumed that bass guitar should be completely within the bass frequencies/that the bass output is completely responsible for bass guitar clarity when I dunno if this is case. Is it? I have read and, if so, it makes logical sense, that the lower end frequencies are the hardest for our (human) brains to process and define naturally anyway, hence why it why it feels more loose, spread out, unconfined and diffuse. Does bass guitar filter into mids then when it gains body and clarity and extension? Is that where the percieved higher bass clarity comes from with the bass = port, the 'fuller body', from more accentuation on the (lower) mids/less taken off them/less bass- ie as not with the bass + port- masking them?

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #681 of 1,423
Yeah, human don't actually hear as much on the lower bass spectrum as we feel the air vibration. I don't really know how bass guitar should sound so I can't really comment on that.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #682 of 1,423
Quote:

Yeah, human don't actually hear as much on the lower bass spectrum as we feel the air vibration. I don't really know how bass guitar should sound so I can't really comment on that.

Alrite no worries. I think i am definately becomin an audiophile now anyways! Bloody interesting!
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #683 of 1,423
Hello SA6 lovers!

I have sad news for you guys.
frown.gif

I returned my SA6 last weekend because after I got my Triple-Fi, SA6 sounded very veiled to me and I couldn't stand their SQ. they sounded like stock IPOD earphone compared to Triples...
frown.gif

What I really liked about SA6 is very spatial sound of them, not fatiguing High, Very foward and sweetest mid like ER4-P and Nice reverbing bass.

What made me let them go? When I listened to fast paced Rock, Trance, house music, every instruments get mixed up and I couldn't seperate instruments. Everything seems muddy and boomy so I couldn't enjoy the music. (I guess I enjoy more detail sounding than musical, warm sounds)

Even though q-Jays aren't that much musical compared to SA6, for the seperations and detail, my q-Jays were much more accurate and precise.

Comparing 3of them, my new Triples were better in every department, treble, mid, Bass, resolution, soundstage, seperation and SQ... They were just totally in different league and Triples trashed SA6
cool.gif

SA6 were just musical phone but that was all for me. I didn't have the feeling that made me think "This is it!"

For MSRP $240? I'll just keep my Triples and be happy. And I know it's very subjective opinion but SA6 were useless to me since they didn't do well at the genre that I prefer like fast paced electronica. They were great for only Jazz, classical and hip-hop thang.

q-Jays are sold to one of head-fi member and I returned SA6, my friend borrowed my ER-4p and worst of all, Triples are broken while i was doing Flip-Flop mode!!!
eek.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif

But since I know Triple is the end of IEM journey for me(never say never though), I'll just wait and live with them until Westone 3 comes out! good luck with your journey head-fiers! Thank you for leading me to Triples and destroying my wallet at the same time!
cool.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #684 of 1,423
Not sad news for you. Enjoy. Interesting that there are some who favor the SA6s over the Triple-Fi. Just not you, since your musical tastes mesh better with Triple-Fi. I might look into them one day, but fact is, they look too big for my style tastes. And some folks report comfort issues, which is never a problem with the Sleeks for me.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #685 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sad news for you. Enjoy. Interesting that there are some who favor the SA6s over the Triple-Fi. Just not you, since your musical tastes mesh better with Triple-Fi. I might look into them one day, but fact is, they look too big for my style tastes. And some folks report comfort issues, which is never a problem with the Sleeks for me.

Yeah I thought Triples were cumbersome to wear but they are veru comfy after you get a seal. getting seal wasn't hard since they sit outside of earcanal not deep in the ear like SA6.

You sohould really try them, I thoguht SA6 was comfortable, but except the actual size, they are very comfy and sounds way better!
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #688 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats with some of the recent sa6 bashings ?!?

Did you ever see when the V-MODA Vibes came out?
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #690 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no i did not what happened?

Well, of course the SA6 differs a lot from this path, but:

V-MODA was a fresh company (one...two years ago?), and they showed up on the scene with a glitz and shiny IEMs called the Vibes. First reviews were very positive, and for ~$100, lots of people bought them. People said how good they sounded, and the Sponsor Rep for the company hung around all the time, talking and answering questions.

Then after a few months, the negative reviews came in, talking about how bloated and how they just sounded bad overall. Turns out V-MODA had redone their design somewhere along the product line, ironically making the sound WORSE. Now these days the Sponsor Rep doesn't seem to hang around here, and many of the V-MODA earpieces short out within a few months, if not a few weeks. Yes I have heard the V-MODA Vibes myself extensively, and I witnessed my friend be disappointed when the earpiece shorted out. He went back to his Koss KSC75 and couldn't be happier.

Again, I know the SA6 doesn't really follow this path; remotely, in fact, but I'm just saying these days I should know better than to be attracted to shiny metallic 'phones that look nice, and the whole "cool" factor. Now I have this burned-in phobia of seeing products packaged in a trendy style (some packages are an exception
wink.gif
). Also, the fact that I have played instruments most of my life may have made me more picky with how the music sounds, so this may play a crucial factor in my decision compared to others here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back