Sleek SA6
Apr 30, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #706 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danosaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention of course that they are a bit more comfortable worn shallow, too!

Of course!

I find the flanges satisfactory but I am tempted to try the shure olives, even already
biggrin.gif
. Man, I love the amount of variability and different options there are to try in this game!

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #707 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course!

I find the flanges satisfactory but I am tempted to try the shure olives, even already
biggrin.gif
. Man, I love the amount of variability and different options there are to try in this game!

When I ordered my SA6s from Soundearphones I also ordered some of the Jays foamies. They fit the Sleeks nozzle perfectly and are even more comfortable, and still sound great.

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #708 of 1,423
Quote:

When I ordered my SA6s from Soundearphones I also ordered some of the Jays foamies. They fit the Sleeks nozzle perfectly and are even more comfortable, and still sound great.

Sound dude
cool.gif
. Added comforts one factor but the extra appeal to me of the olives has been, apart from their massive backing and popularity here, is that they are cleanable and longer lasting than regular foamies and also that they do have an affect on the sound of your phones (I've heard reports of it boosting the bass of the sa6's, at least). Have you found the Jays foamies to have any altering/enhancing effect on the sound of your phones and are they cleanable?

Apr 30, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #709 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound dude
cool.gif
. Added comforts one factor but the extra appeal to me of the olives has been, apart from their massive backing and popularity here, is that they are cleanable and longer lasting than regular foamies and also that they do have an affect on the sound of your phones (I've heard reports of it boosting the bass of the sa6's, at least). Have you found the Jays foamies to have any altering/enhancing effect on the sound of your phones and are they cleanable?

I would say maybe a little more bass, overall I think I prefer the sound with the foamies. I don't think they are cleanable, but then I have pretty clean ears so it's not much of an isue for me.

By the way, I have settled on the bass= port with treble+. Still plenty of bass but tighter and more controlled. Great combo!

May 1, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #710 of 1,423
Quote:

I would say maybe a little more bass, overall I think I prefer the sound with the foamies. I don't think they are cleanable, but then I have pretty clean ears so it's not much of an isue for me.

By the way, I have settled on the bass= port with treble+. Still plenty of bass but tighter and more controlled. Great combo!

Sounds good. More food for thought anyway!

I havnt settled yet on my ''audioprint''. I like both the bass =/treble+ and bass+/treble+ now, I think, though I havn't really been doin any critical comparative listening with regards to assessing the VQ system, more just a reflection after using the headphones with those setups when I've just been listening to the music. I've been listening to my music critically of late as opposed to the sound critically of late I think i'm trying to say. I've also been experimenting and analysing how the compression bitrate affects sound quality. So yer I aint studied and experimented with the vq system enough yet to have settled on any definite preferences!

May 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #711 of 1,423
Got my hands of some Shure small black olive tips. Great seal and comfort. Does add some bass, so I had to swap the bass+ for the bass=. With the change in port, the sound is almost identical to the sound I had with the bass+ and bi-flanges, but with the added comfort and perfect seal.

Thanks for the putting the idea in my head, elnero, it's the perfect solution.

May 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #712 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my hands of some Shure small black olive tips. Great seal and comfort. Does add some bass, so I had to swap the bass+ for the bass=. With the change in port, the sound is almost identical to the sound I had with the bass+ and bi-flanges, but with the added comfort and perfect seal.

Thanks for the putting the idea in my head, elnero, it's the perfect solution.

I'm glad to hear they seem to be working as well for you as they do for me. They're so comfortable that I often forget they're even in my ears. I'm curious, how do you find the soundstage with them?

May 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #714 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to hear they seem to be working as well for you as they do for me. They're so comfortable that I often forget they're even in my ears. I'm curious, how do you find the soundstage with them?

I wasn't doing a side by side with the bi-flanges, but never needed to with any other tips to notice the difference in soundstage. That said, I didn't notice a difference between the small olives and the bi-flanges, so if there is a difference, it is minor, and I can certainly live with it.

May 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #715 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't doing a side by side with the bi-flanges, but never needed to with any other tips to notice the difference in soundstage. That said, I didn't notice a difference between the small olives and the bi-flanges, so if there is a difference, it is minor, and I can certainly live with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was worse, I actually find the black olives a bit more spacious but the difference isn't huge.

May 1, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #716 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was worse, I actually find the black olives a bit more spacious but the difference isn't huge.

I didn't think you did imply that, and it might be a bit wider, not sure unless I do a very careful side by side, but regardless, the difference is fairly small one way or the other, and the added comfort of the olives make it an easy choice over the bi-flanges. No more itchy ears
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #717 of 1,423
I'm fascinated by how the change in tips means a change in the bass/treble configuration. Using Shure Olives, I prefer treble++/bass- but using Ety triple flanges I go to the treble ++/Bass ++. I never really inserted the Ety flanges too deeply into the ear so maybe that's why i prefer the additional bass boost if tey're resting just inside the ear opening where the olives get pushed in further

Soundstage is magnificent with any of the tips BUT I'm also using a prtable v-cap/amplifier which may open things up more than right out of the DAP

May 2, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #718 of 1,423
Did something odd tonight. I hooked up the SA6s to the MiniboxE+ and hauled out my older HD DAP, the Creative Zen Vision M 30GB (use the Zune usually, no amp). Wow, that setup really brings out the best in the SA6s, using bass=, treble+

I guess I had written off the ZVM, but why, I'm not sure. I just needed more space, so I got the Zune, which I still like alot. But the line out option into the Minibox, rather than the HP out in the Zune, really seems to make a difference, really opening up the SA6 sound, which I already find fantastic. Seem to never run out of things to try with the SA6s, so I might experiment with different bass/treble tube combos. Might be my new at-home listening rig, the ZVM.

Need to get a Zune lineout, I guess, but no one is selling/making them yet.

May 2, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #719 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did something odd tonight. I hooked up the SA6s to the MiniboxE+ and hauled out my older HD DAP, the Creative Zen Vision M 30GB (use the Zune usually, no amp). Wow, that setup really brings out the best in the SA6s, using bass=, treble+

I guess I had written off the ZVM, but why, I'm not sure. I just needed more space, so I got the Zune, which I still like alot. But the line out option into the Minibox, rather than the HP out in the Zune, really seems to make a difference, really opening up the SA6 sound, which I already find fantastic. Seem to never run out of things to try with the SA6s, so I might experiment with different bass/treble tube combos. Might be my new at-home listening rig, the ZVM.

Need to get a Zune lineout, I guess, but no one is selling/making them yet.

How do you like it with the Sony A816? I find the SA6 with the A818 is much better than with my Zune80. Better soundstage, cleaner and more detail. Zune sounds colder and less lively.

May 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #720 of 1,423
Oh, the SA6/A816 combo is fantastic, better than the Zune80, as you point out. I have to say, even though the Zune sound is nice, good soundstage, etc., I wish it had an EQ now and again. I only tweak the SA6s a little via Clear bass, and that does the trick. As you note, no chance to do that with the Zune. A shame, because a small feature could make a major difference. No, the Sony is the best sounding DAP I own, but I like the Zune as well.

If I hook the Zune up to the Minibox, even with the HP out, and turn on the amp's bass boost, it equals the Sony, but that means having to lug around an amp. It's fine for home listening. But with the LO on the ZVM, that may supplant the Zune for home listening, and reduce it to use for long trips (plane, etc.). I also use the Zune via line out (av stand) as a source for music in my office to a T-Amp/vintage KLH speaker setup, and it sounds fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back