Sleek SA6
May 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #721 of 1,423
LOL! I preferred the SA6 with the Zune by a long shot. They still sounded great with the Sony, but I found the bass was much spongier with the Sony/SA6 combo. I noticed exactly the same thing with the Sony/Image combo too. Whether it's something to do with the SA6 and Image both being rated at 50ohms, I don't know. But I found both those phones to present bass much better with the Zune. I guess the bigger soundstage helps too.

May 2, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #722 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! I preferred the SA6 with the Zune by a long shot. They still sounded great with the Sony, but I found the bass was much spongier with the Sony/SA6 combo. I noticed exactly the same thing with the Sony/Image combo too. Whether it's something to do with the SA6 and Image both being rated at 50ohms, I don't know. But I found both those phones to present bass much better with the Zune. I guess the bigger soundstage helps too.

Okay, you changed my mind. I prefer the Zune also. Just kidding. I like them both, and your post sent me scurrying to do an AB test, Zune v. Sony, with the Sony at my preferred settings and the Zune set at, well, Zune settings. Isn't this fun?

May 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #723 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, you changed my mind. I prefer the Zune also. Just kidding. I like them both, and your post sent me scurrying to do an AB test, Zune v. Sony, with the Sony at my preferred settings and the Zune set at, well, Zune settings. Isn't this fun?

Choose a bassy song. I had a big problem with the lack of bass from the SA6 combined with the lack of EQ on the Zune. It's not that there's 'more' bass with the Zune combo, it's just that it sounds 'clearer' and more controlled than on the Sony. The Sony is already quite bassy even without EQ. I haven't tried many higher-impedance earphones, most of them have been rated between 16 and 32ohms, (which pair up really nicely with the Sony). It might just be a coincidence that the 50ohms earphones seem to output better bass with the Zune - to my ears only??

May 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #724 of 1,423
I listened to the Theme from Taxi Driver (jazz) and some hip-hop (This is How We Do it, by Montell Jordan), and guess what? You are right. Shifting from machine to machine, the Zune80 bass is fine, punchy. And overall, the sound seems fuller (remember, I am using no EQ on the Sony aside from +2 on Clear Bass). Interesting. Anyway, I like them both, so no problems. But the ZVM, with the line out and amp, sounds even better, which was my original post a few spots up. If someone would make LODs for the Sony and the Zune, all the better.

May 4, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #725 of 1,423
Just demo'ed these today at CamJam '08. I like them, the bass and treble tuning options really do work. They are an improvement in overall sound quality from my ER-6i's. Insertion is easy and they are comfortable in my ear. I am seriously considering a purchase.

May 5, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #726 of 1,423
I actually got a pair from Sleek at can jam...i basically traded them up from the raffle.

First off impressions are good. Its a nice full sound. The bass has a slight punch to it. Im using the stock bass tube and the +1 treble, which is the clear/gray insert. It does seem like the highs are a tad recessed, which is pretty uncommon to IEMs..at least to me. The SA6 is a fun IEM, its not really great at anything, but more really good all around. The inserts for sure work, its subtle difference however its noticeable.

I love the design, which uses a removable cable so you can easily replace it if something goes wrong. Best thing of all, all the items for it are CHEAP.

Im going to let them burn in all night with some pink noise, give them a listen tomorrow and give some more impressions.

May 5, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #727 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually got a pair from Sleek at can jam...i basically traded them up from the raffle.

First off impressions are good. Its a nice full sound. The bass has a slight punch to it. Im using the stock bass tube and the +1 treble, which is the clear/gray insert. It does seem like the highs are a tad recessed, which is pretty uncommon to IEMs..at least to me. The SA6 is a fun IEM, its not really great at anything, but more really good all around. The inserts for sure work, its subtle difference however its noticeable.

I love the design, which uses a removable cable so you can easily replace it if something goes wrong. Best thing of all, all the items for it are CHEAP.

Im going to let them burn in all night with some pink noise, give them a listen tomorrow and give some more impressions.

Congrats! In many ways I feel the same about the SA6's, it's not that the excel in one area or reach out and grab you with one particular aspect of the sound but instead as you say they're good all round. One aspect that can stand out a little more in certain combinations is PRaT, although I consider this a good thing.
wink.gif

My impression was they do get a bit better with a few hours on them as well, nothing dramatic but I do seem to recall the bass getting a better and in general they opened up a bit.

May 5, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #728 of 1,423
i just got to listening to them after a night of pink noise.

I have to admit there is already a slight difference in the bass and the separation of instruments. You can tell for sure its starting to sound alittle cleaner and the bass is starting to extend.

Im really enjoying the sleeks. I have to admit, i first i thought they were not really special in anyway. However, they are pretty well rounded, sound great, design in my opinion is awesome.

If these open up and clear up just a tad, i think im going to sell off my E4s.

More thoughts to come...just running out for errands.

May 5, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #730 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternality.pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought armatures don't burn-in...

I dont believe they do, however after sitting in a box for a few months and not having any play time, i would say it couldnt really hurt. There certainly is a difference to my ears. Its subtle, but the difference is there.

May 5, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #731 of 1,423
Quote:

I always thought armatures don't burn-in...

I asked Jason about it and I got the impression from him that some changes would occur within first couple of days of usage.

May 5, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #733 of 1,423
Quote:

You're probably getting accustomed to them, that's all
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, that's it, how could I have not thought of that?!?!
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #734 of 1,423
Quote:

You're probably getting accustomed to them, that's all
smily_headphones1.gif

i wouldnt really say thats true...since i havent really give them a long listen. Most of the time i put them on for a song, switch source, switch music etc etc.

I get the same seal i do with my e4s also. Its snug, can somewhat hear my own heart beat at times =)

I mean its not completely impossible, but for me it would be more of a comfort thing.

If it really is a placebo, then its got me fooled.

May 5, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #735 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked Jason about it and I got the impression from him that some changes would occur within first couple of days of usage.

i was told they didn't require burn-in either, but I'm hearing more soundstage depth the longer I use them. OK, so maybe I'm getting used to them and it's all psychological.

SO???

As long as it works, I'm OK with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back