Sleek SA6
Apr 25, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #661 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm now using small Shure black olives. They insert a bit deeper than the mediums did but the back of the foam is still pretty much flush with my ear canal opening. I believe this is still a bit shallower insert than if I was using the bi-flanges though.

I've experimented with various tips and varying depths. I used the black olives briefly and thought it made the SA6 a bit too dark and closed in, so I switched to the Shure grey rubber tips. The small tips I could get into the canal deeper than the olives and the Sleek medium double flanges, but it lost some of the top end and again closed the sound in a bit. Went to the medium greys that seal at the canal entrance for me, and the soundstage is better, but it still seemed a bit dark.

Went back to using the Sleek double flange, first using the small, which goes in way deep. Most comfortable option of them all, but I like the wider soundstage I get with the mediums at the entrance of the canal, so I am back on them. Gives me the best soundstage and overall balance. Treble sparkle is best with these. Downside is I have to take them out every now and again because they make my ears itch after a while.

All this with the bass+, treble ++ ports, btw.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #662 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've experimented with various tips and varying depths. I used the black olives briefly and thought it made the SA6 a bit too dark and closed in, so I switched to the Shure grey rubber tips. The small tips I could get into the canal deeper than the olives and the Sleek medium double flanges, but it lost some of the top end and again closed the sound in a bit. Went to the medium greys that seal at the canal entrance for me, and the soundstage is better, but it still seemed a bit dark.

Went back to using the Sleek double flange, first using the small, which goes in way deep. Most comfortable option of them all, but I like the wider soundstage I get with the mediums at the entrance of the canal, so I am back on them. Gives me the best soundstage and overall balance. Treble sparkle is best with these. Downside is I have to take them out every now and again because they make my ears itch after a while.

All this with the bass+, treble ++ ports, btw.

I can't use the flanges for more than a couple of minutes before they drive my ears crazy with itching. Luckily I find the black olives to be have the best sonics for me. I find they have more open stage and fuller mids and bass. I do like the treble with the bi-flanges but the black olives aren't that far off for me. The small black olives are so comfortable that I barely even notice they're there.

What's kind of funny though is the first time I tried black olives when I had the E500's they caused a burning sensation in my ears so I experimented with tips until I decided on modified tri-flanges which I used comfortably for probably close to a year before they started giving me itching problems which only got worse as time went on. Now I can barely tolerate any tip of that type of material for more than about 5 minutes. I didn't try olives again until I got a replacement pair of E500's which had the olives on them so I thought I'd give them a try and this time round I had no problems whatsoever with them.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #663 of 1,423
Quote:

I can't use the flanges for more than a couple of minutes before they drive my ears crazy with itching. Luckily I find the black olives to be have the best sonics for me. I find they have more open stage and fuller mids and bass. I do like the treble with the bi-flanges but the black olives aren't that far off for me. The small black olives are so comfortable that I barely even notice they're there.

What's kind of funny though is the first time I tried black olives when I had the E500's they caused a burning sensation in my ears so I experimented with tips until I decided on modified tri-flanges which I used comfortably for probably close to a year before they started giving me itching problems which only got worse as time went on. Now I can barely tolerate any tip of that type of material for more than about 5 minutes. I didn't try olives again until I got a replacement pair of E500's which had the olives on them so I thought I'd give them a try and this time round I had no problems whatsoever with them.

Haven't tried a pair of small olives, have to see if I have any floating around. The experimenting is never truly over.
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #664 of 1,423
Quote:

I have the itching problem too with Sleek's flanges so also use Shure Olives Use the triflanges from my Ety4p as well, which work wonderfully. Wonder what the deal is with those Sleek tips??? Itchy itchy itchy

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #665 of 1,423
Yo fellow sa6 owners,

I have had my sa6 for a week now and, being my first iems, now that I have an understanding of and good idea of how to wear them and fit em well and all that involves (ie learning and trying techniques for proper insertion and achievin a good seal, actually then achievin and becomin familiar with gettin a good seal/knowin what that feels like, experimentin with tip sizes and depths etc) I have now started to focus more on explorin how the different bass and treble component combinations affect the sound signature and of gainin a feel for the different combinations and how that affects the sound of the headphones and obviously to see what I like.

I like the =/=, tho I found it a bit thin and cold. I really like the =/+! Thought that was more lush, with the treble and mids (high mids maybe to be more accurate) more forward and washing over you but the bass was still felt and was punchy and extensive and clear and if the balance had become more mid-upper end weighted the bass was in no way neutered or drowned out, it still penetrated and made an impact and retained its growl. Could be my imagination but I also percieved the soundstage to be more obvious and wider than the =/= combo. I really liked this sound sig!!

Then I decided to go with the =/++ combo, only briefly however, sampling a few songs I had listened to with the previous combos. I found this, as one may logically expect, very similar to the =/+ combo jst with a noticeably but not massively (in magnitude) weaker, thinner bass and the high mids and trble louder and clearer again, an extrapolation of the =/+ sound.

Then I tried the +/++ cobination. Ok, maybe I still need to get acustomed to this and/or my seal isnt good enough to trap the bass proprly, but although I definately feel the bass more, the vibrations of it and the sensation of it as a whole, it feels less extensive and far more diffuse and undefined, like a sheet of bass. You're given like a shallow backdrop of thick, muddy, heavy bass. I like being able to determine bass guitar runs and notes when I listen. I cant with this vq setting. The bass just doesnt feel extensive or as though its being channeled or propelled out from itself. Is this right? Anyone encountered similar with this combo? Any insights or ideas would be appreciated. I've suspected that maybe the bass is moved within the soundstage?

Cheers in advance,

Steve

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #666 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yo fellow sa6 owners,

Then I tried the +/++ cobination. Ok, maybe I still need to get acustomed to this and/or my seal isnt good enough to trap the bass proprly, but although I definately feel the bass more, the vibrations of it and the sensation of it as a whole, it feels less extensive and far more diffuse and undefined, like a sheet of bass. I like being able to determine bass guitar runs and notes when I listen. I cant with this vq setting. The bass just doesnt feel extensive or as though its being channeled. Is this right? Anyone encountered similar with this combo? Any insights or ideas would be appreciated? I've suspected that maybe the bass is moved wihin the soundstage, maybe?

Cheers in advance,

Steve

I just got mine a couple of days ago, and I agree with you...I really like the =/+ combo and even the =/++ but when I use the bass+ port it almost seems like less bass to me. I even had to double check that I put the right ports in. When I read your comments I realized you were describing exactly what I experience with the bass+, that it is sort of diffuse, all over and not as punchy. Maybe that gives me the impression of less bass? Weird.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #667 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the itching problem too with Sleek's flanges so also use Shure Olives Use the triflanges from my Ety4p as well, which work wonderfully. Wonder what the deal is with those Sleek tips??? Itchy itchy itchy

Actually I don't find the Sleek tips quite as bad as the Shure and Ety tri-flanges I have on hand. Still, both have unfortunately become pretty much unusable for me.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #668 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danosaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine a couple of days ago, and I agree with you...I really like the =/+ combo and even the =/++ but when I use the bass+ port it almost seems like less bass to me. I even had to double check that I put the right ports in. When I read your comments I realized you were describing exactly what I experience with the bass+, that it is sort of diffuse, all over and not as punchy. Maybe that gives me the impression of less bass? Weird.

Yeah!!! It bleedin well does give the 'illusion' of less bass! Hmmm....I'm just gona be patient and give the bass+ port some more time and see how it goes but initial to going past initial impressions are somewhat disappointing. Ah well, I could just be gettin greedy! This is still a great and innovative product and a fantastic achievment by sleek, all things considered, and I do love the =/+ combo! Rock on
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #669 of 1,423
Now you guys got me running upstairs to pull out the bass= module, and give it a try. I was happy with bass+ but never even tried the bass=

Ah, the possibilities. Just never even thought to give the bass= a try.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #670 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you guys got me running upstairs to pull out the bass= module, and give it a try. I was happy with bass+ but never even tried the bass=

Haha! Go for it! I'll happily give a penny for your thoughts once you've tried it
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #671 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please do, and let us know what you think. I think the bass+ also screws up the mids a little to my ears. I am a little confused by the design of the bass plugs because the - and + look almost identical, with external ports while the = has an internal port or chamber. I know the diference between the - and + is a tiny opening in the plug part, but still doesn't make sense to me.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #673 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danosaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do, and let us know what you think. I think the bass+ also screws up the mids a little to my ears. I am a little confused by the design of the bass plugs because the - and + look almost identical, with external ports while the = has an internal port or chamber. I know the diference between the - and + is a tiny opening in the plug part, but still doesn't make sense to me.

I explained the port design in my SA6 review, link in my signature.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #674 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I explained the port design in my SA6 review, link in my signature.

Yeah but the hole in the bass+ port is so miniscule its barely visible. I think I now see it but I'd be scared to go near it with a pin iin case i widened it or anything! Also, the background to the hole being black is a pain but wot can u do
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #675 of 1,423
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but the hole in the bass+ port is so miniscule its barely visible. I think I now see it but I'd be scared to go near it with a pin iin case i widened it or anything! Also, the background to the hole being black is a pain but wot can u do
rolleyes.gif

I already widen my B+ with a needle, and frankly it doesn't show much difference before it was widen (I have two pair of B+ ports to compare so I know).

Actually, I currently prefer my own B> port to all the stock ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back