Sleek SA1 upgrade, help me choose (q-jays, PFE, ety ER4)
Oct 29, 2010 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Arkham00

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm quite new to this world, and I'm reading around this forum since some months. 
I've learned a lot of things and I think I made up a clear idea of what I need.
I came from sleek sa1 and sound magic PL30.
I liked very much the sleek that opened a new world to me, but the more my ears get used with it the more I feel that I need smtg better ... weird.
PL30 didn't impressed me very much and now I use it as a backup iem.

So I want to go toward high end monitors and try out an armature phone as well.

I narrowed my choice based on what I could read and what I need :

a detailed and clear sound, without losing naturality

I listen to a great variety of genres, mostly heavy metal, jazz, folk/celtic, electronic/techno and classical, so I also need something versatile.
Anyway atm I'm more in a classical/symphonic period and moreover I'm learning how to mix audio recordings, so I need to really listen to the original sound of a piece of music to understand the mixing differencies.

I came up with these 3 IEM :

- q-jays
- etymotic ER4S
- Audeo PFE 112

But it's very hard to choose.

My gear is a rockboxed 5 gen Ipod, and a FIIO E5 amp.

I'm very attracted by the ER4S since it seems it has the most analytic sound, but sometimes it seems that is too much, and I fear to loose the pleasure to listen my music, moreover it seems it isn't  a very comfortable iem and the cable is quite microphonic and very hard to manage. Is it really difficoult to wear it over the ear ?
I red that with a good setup (amp, lod etc...) we can have a more natural sound from it, in this case what can you suggest me ? 

Q-jays seems to be the good compromise, quite versatile but very detailed (men! 2 armatures! :p), and very comfortable but I never red about its isolation quality, and this is important to me, I take every day a very noisy train to go to work.

Also, I see they are shipped with normal silicon tips and foam tips, I like very much the 2/3 flanged tips, and I don't know if the foam could be good for me, I only experienced the soundmagic foams and are very very bad to me, but maybe is because soundmagic is cheap... can I expect smtg better from different foams?

PFE also seems to be quite detailed and confortable, and I can't find any big pro and con for it, so maybe could it be the right choice ?
biggrin.gif

thank you guys 

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 7
I would go with ER4 + a decent amp with bass boost, or I would save up a bit for the Hifiman RE252 or the upcoming RE262, or buy used from the forum if you can find one. RE-ZERO should also be considered as it is the cheapest of the bunch (only $99), but will perfectly competent with ER4 and q-jays. The RE252 and 262 should be a step above the others, but their sound is not for everyone - they may sound a bit too neutral and revealing for some people and apparently are very sensitive to source quality.

I do not recommend Phonak PFE - I think it seriously lacks micro detail/texture.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I think SA6 is also an excellent choice indeed, although I would personally get RE-ZERO or ER4 instead because I think that they are more technically capable IEMs. For best fit and best sound without requiring an amp/a good source, I would get the RE-ZERO. For the most detailed and accurate sound, but with a deeper, less comfortable fit and a need for a good source, I might choose the ER4 instead.

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 7

[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Thank you for your replies.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
So in order, RE252 are not [size=medium]convincing[/size][size=medium] me, I red some not completely positive [/size][size=medium]review[/size][size=medium], and also I really want to try an armature  [/size]IEM
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Sleek SA6: although I like the SA1 I had problems with the build quality, in few than  6 months I have had to replace twice the left earphone..[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]For [/size]westone[size=medium], I never red a review/description that really captured my interest, and after having read this ([/size][size=medium]http://www.headfonia.com/dual-drivers-q-jays-dba-02-ue700-westone-2-sf5pro-and-jh5pro/4/[/size][size=medium]) I [/size][size=medium]definitely[/size][size=medium] convinced myself to discard w2[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]Then, I red more impressions about the [/size]PFE[size=medium] and actually it seems that is not very detailed and also quite [/size][size=medium]sibilant[/size][size=medium] ...[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] So atm I have to choose between q-jays and etymotics ER4S[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back