Sleek by 50 Cent, 2011 CES coverage
Jan 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #47 of 133
Quote:
Quote:
And here's the next rap artist taking his shot at headphones:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/signeo-reveals-soul-by-ludacris-headphone-series-at-ces/

At least "Luda was tightly involved in the construction of them" according to the article, not just a name stamp.

Are we sure that's a good thing? I mean, this guy's greatest hit is "Move, Bitch, Get Out The Way". I don't want that on my headphones...

pfff, gtfo, ludacris is one of the sickest rappers of our generation. His lyrics are sooo clean compared to some garbage that comes out these days.

and on 50 cent, the dude is not as dumb as everyone thinks he is. He is constantly in the now with what's hot and not and because of that he knows what it will take to make decent headphones. They probably won't replace any of phone's anyone's rockin right now, but i bet they will be a decent starter headset and better than the Beats.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #48 of 133

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/signeo-reveals-soul-by-ludacris-headphone-series-at-ces/

At least "Luda was tightly involved in the construction of them" according to the article, not just a name stamp.

Are we sure that's a good thing? I mean, this guy's greatest hit is "Move, Bitch, Get Out The Way". I don't want that on my headphones...

pfff, gtfo, ludacris is one of the sickest rappers of our generation. His lyrics are sooo clean compared to some garbage that comes out these days.

and on 50 cent, the dude is not as dumb as everyone thinks he is. He is constantly in the now with what's hot and not and because of that he knows what it will take to make decent headphones. They probably won't replace any of phone's anyone's rockin right now, but i bet they will be a decent starter headset and better than the Beats.

really should have unveiled them before christmas

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #49 of 133

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

really should have unveiled them before christmas

true, but then again CES is the big "it" convention for gadget lovers. can't really see a better place for him to showcase them if not in time for christmas.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #50 of 133

Quote:

Yep, I miswrote "pronounciate". Sue me =P the thing is, English is not my first language, and I still typed correctly "schizophrenia" without wordchecking on google.

And 50 has no merit for the VitaminWater! Stupid people buying that crap because it has his image on the label have the merit! The guy is an idiot. I'm sorry, I should be politer, I should respect other people's likes, but he just is. I mean, did he use any complex marketing strategy in the Water? Did he studied the market, and made tough decisions? No. All he did was sing about hoes and crack, then a guy in a suit comes to him, explains very slowly how he can make millions by just putting his rapper name on the water and *shabam* the stuff sells. Right, give him props.

You know, I can understand all the negativity towards hip hop, the culture, and the artists. It's already instilled in your objective brains that anyone from hip hop (and probably black) will fall under weak critical analysis such as yours. It just baffles me how people lieky ou can hate with so much confidence when you are so off base from the truth.

50 was thirsty after a workout and went to the market to buy a drink. He wanted water with vitamins. Looked around to see if anyone had thought of a product like this, then he ran into Vitamin Water. After that he bought 10% of the company (obviously after research, advice from his team, financial managers, etc). Shortly after that they were bought for 4 billion by Coca Cola.

So in short, he found vitamin water before they found him. Your little made up story of a guy in a suit coming up to him as a potential investor is incorrect, but it's already instilled in your mind that he's a rapper so he couldn't have had any creative part in it.

It's ignorance such as yours that is a shame. Doesn't matter though, those writing checks knows that these hip hop artists are better brand images than the artists your interested in.

Socrates was told by an oracle that he was the wisest man in the world. He didn't believe him so he went on a mission to find someone wiser than him. He couldn't and realize he was. All the people he talked to had such strong opinions and certainty about things they knew absolutely nothing about. Socrates realize that his edge over everyone was that he knew that he knew nothing.

Unfortunately, the head-fi community (earphone, headphone, sound enthusiasts) is filled with people like this.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #53 of 133
You know, I can understand all the negativity towards hip hop, the culture, and the artists. It's already instilled in your objective brains that anyone from hip hop (and probably black) will fall under weak critical analysis such as yours. It just baffles me how people lieky ou can hate with so much confidence when you are so off base from the truth.

50 was thirsty after a workout and went to the market to buy a drink. He wanted water with vitamins. Looked around to see if anyone had thought of a product like this, then he ran into Vitamin Water. After that he bought 10% of the company (obviously after research, advice from his team, financial managers, etc). Shortly after that they were bought for 4 billion by Coca Cola.

So in short, he found vitamin water before they found him. Your little made up story of a guy in a suit coming up to him as a potential investor is incorrect, but it's already instilled in your mind that he's a rapper so he couldn't have had any creative part in it.

It's ignorance such as yours that is a shame. Doesn't matter though, those writing checks knows that these hip hop artists are better brand images than the artists your interested in.

Socrates was told by an oracle that he was the wisest man in the world. He didn't believe him so he went on a mission to find someone wiser than him. He couldn't and realize he was. All the people he talked to had such strong opinions and certainty about things they knew absolutely nothing about. Socrates realize that his edge over everyone was that he knew that he knew nothing.

Unfortunately, the head-fi community (earphone, headphone, sound enthusiasts) is filled with people like this.

Right, because I don't think 50 Cent is a marketing genius I am somehow racist and hate everyone who listens to Hip Hop. What I think Head-fi is filled with are self-made victims like you, who love to believe everyone is against them.

I have nothing against Hip Hop, since I have been listening to it since I was about 10 years old. It's a very common genre here.
I have nothing against black people (seriously where did that come from?). My best friend is black.
I do have something against 50 Cent. He didn't do any research, get over it. If you think the guy can understand a market study, you're way overrating him. And I don't see why your story on how he found VitaminWater is any better than mine, since it completely sounds like something 50's managers or public relationhips made up so people could admire him.
However, you went on insulting me, implying that I had something against black people, rapper and Hip-Hop fans inside my brain (genius, I tell you), while I didn't even say a word in this direction.

There are plenty of black rappers out there who aren't complete tools like 50. Ever heard of NAS? Or on the more commercial side, Jay-Z. Missy Elliot has barely changed since her Hip-Hop roots. See, it's not something against Hip Hop or a certain race. It's against stupid people who get stupider people to buy stuff from them that isn't worth the money.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #54 of 133
*le sigh*

I like to keep my lectures for college, thank you very much. I'm not singling anybody out, but let's please not divert into another one of these "haters vs apologists" tangents. It's not that I find them offensive. I just really don't care, and I don't think anybody else here does, either. If anyone feels the need to cry "ignorance!" or "prejudice" every other moment, I feel sorry for that person because (s)he must lead a miserable and cynical existence indeed.

Let's stick to the headphones, please. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #55 of 133
Exactly, I dislike the hate that hip-hop moguls (Yes, I would class 50 as that now) get. They are some of the smartest most saavy businesspeople around. Don't kid yourself. A great insight from Forbes as Shawn Carter i.e. Jay-Z sits with Warren Buffet for an interview. Fantastic insight into both men and their different paths to success.
I dislike 50's music, respect him as a businessman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtttlFS_Q7c&feature=BF&list=PL443C5552BD5CFCE2&index=1

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #56 of 133

I promise you, if Ludacris knows what a dynamic driver or a stereo crosstalk are, I will personally buy you a pair of Senn HD800.
Anyway, I said that stuff before as a joke, I kind of like his lyrics. They are wicked in a good way. But that doesn't mean he knows anything about headphones. Just because he knows what works in Hip Hop doesn't mean he knows what works in cans.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #57 of 133

Quote:
*le sigh*

I like to keep my lectures for college, thank you very much. I'm not singling anybody out, but let's please not divert into another one of these "haters vs apologists" tangents. It's not that I find them offensive. I just really don't care, and I don't think anybody else here does, either. If anyone feels the need to cry "ignorance!" or "prejudice" every other moment, I feel sorry for that person because (s)he must lead a miserable and cynical existence indeed.

smily_headphones1.gif

I was talking about headphones, and somehow was called a racist ^^

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #58 of 133

Quote:
Quote:
*le sigh*

smily_headphones1.gif

I was talking about headphones, and somehow was called a racist ^^

I hear you. I'm not saying that you didn't have a very good reason to respond. To call somebody a racist without proof is a very profound charge, and you had every right to defend yourself. On the other hand, this sort of thing always ends ugly. I'm not trying to be a NetSheriff (do we even still use that term?); I'm just trying to get everybody to take a deep breath and move on before it gets really ugly. I don't believe you are a racist, and I don't think anybody reasonable reading this would gather that, either.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #59 of 133
Thank you for being reasonable.

As far as these cans go, what to expect? Boomy lows that shake your head? Reinforced highs that don't extend very much? Uncared-for mids? It's the EQ settings for club music. Would be amazing to be wrong and these actually became a good set that could give the Beats some competition, but not too hopeful about it.
Also, people tend to be much more comfortable with wearing something from Dr. Dre than from 50, so that might be a steback no matter how good they sound. Oh and let's not forget SkullCandy

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #60 of 133
Yeah, there's that sort of "me, too" vibe about this, especially if there are even more of these endorsements in the pipes. I think that sonic signature would probably be accurate. Still, it's possible to pull off that sort of thing tastefully. The DT770 is a good example, though of course a full sized headphone. I'm not expecting anything with the competency of the Beyers, but it's not impossible that it could be a decently executed rendition of a "fun" sonic signature. I wouldn't bet on a reference set (though I'll bet the marketing will say otherwise), as the mainstream consumer likely wouldn't like it as much as a colored one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back