Sleek by 50 Cent, 2011 CES coverage
Jan 7, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #107 of 133
VulgarDisplay said:
 This guy needs to get over the rapper thing and just realize that people on head-fi hate celebrity endorsed cans period. I just hate celebtards. They are all morons. It's because they think all of us "regular" people need their input on what we should be doing with our lives. A marketing blitz and celebrity to sell something. Imagine that? I hate hate HATE hype.

I highly doubt Beatles or U2 endorsed cans/headphones would receive much criticism before people actually try it out.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #108 of 133
Rapper-endorsed cans have been tried out. It's because of that that we know they are generally overpriced. Not necessarily bad, but overpriced. Snoop Dogg Skullcrushers, Beats by Dre... So we assume this one is just the same, although we hope not. Trust me, if there was one model endorsed by a rapper that stood out, most these people would be saying "It might be somehing to try out. Remember that Sennheiser XzibitHD?"

And, as UncleErik mentioned, all this hype about trendy cans will draw some attention to people coming to our forum and taking an interest in the subject =)

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #109 of 133
I don't believe Head-Fi'ers are completely unwilling in general to give something a shot just because it's [fill-in-the-blank reason]. For example, there is not much love for Monster products here, but their IEMs are held in fairly high regard. Head-Fi'ers are the ultimate BS detectors, and this more than anything else is why celebriphones (as UE brilliantly called them) don't do well here.

Many of the comments in this thread so far have been along the lines of, "We expect another Beats-like product, but we'll reserve judgment." I'm interested despite myself. I expect that it will be yet another bass-centric, overpriced/bling-ized set, but I'm not going to go other places and write off an unreleased product. This is definitely a speculation thread, and speculate we will.
beerchug.gif

And why the heck is that smilie so tall?

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #110 of 133
Completely off-topic, but I just realized from a forum review that when you buy the Beats Studio, they come with a little flyer saying

Life is too short to listen to bad headphones

Why don't they take their own advice and stop producing crap?!

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #111 of 133

Quote:
Completely off-topic, but I just realized from a forum review that when you buy the Beats Studio, they come with a little flyer saying

Life is too short to listen to bad headphones

Why don't they take their own advice and stop producing crap?!

I saw that. I liked the response in the review, too. The warning hasn't so far served as a deterrent given how many Beats are currently in use.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #113 of 133
Celeb-phones are probably very profitable and was just a business step for both Sleek Audio and 50 Cent =_=
Downtown Toronto almost every 1 out of 10 people in their 20~30s have the red beats headphones walking around/subway.
It's crazy.

1. Clueless about bit-rates/transcoded source files/hardware design and schematics
2. Walk into Bestbuy
3. ????
4. Insta-audiophile

=_=

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #115 of 133

Quote:
Can I look forward to seeing incessant Sleek threads along with Beats Bose and Skullcandy on the frontpage now?

You can pretty much count on it.

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #116 of 133
Im Doing My Homework Before I Decide Which Headphones To Buy. So what About The: Sony MDR-DS6500 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones 7.1 Channel?

I Know That Plastic Isn't Attractive At All N Mostly When The MSRP Is So High. N I Dislike Plastic Gadgets A Lot.
But If These HPs R Made With CF Wouldn't The Price Be Much Higher Than 400? :)

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #117 of 133
I don't believe Head-Fi'ers are completely unwilling in general to give something a shot just because it's [fill-in-the-blank reason]. For example, there is not much love for Monster products here, but their IEMs are held in fairly high regard. Head-Fi'ers are the ultimate BS detectors, and this more than anything else is why celebriphones (as UE brilliantly called them) don't do well here.

Many of the comments in this thread so far have been along the lines of, "We expect another Beats-like product, but we'll reserve judgment." I'm interested despite myself. I expect that it will be yet another bass-centric, overpriced/bling-ized set, but I'm not going to go other places and write off an unreleased product. This is definitely a speculation thread, and speculate we will.
beerchug.gif

And why the heck is that smilie so tall?

Im New Here N I Agree About The Speculation. I Also Don't Think The Real Headphones Will Look Anything Alike Whats Shown On The Pic.
But If They Do...Then Great. I Will Try Em. If Not. Then I Think I.ll Be Looking Elsewhere.

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #118 of 133

Quote:
Looking at that picture, I notice they have what looks like a folding mechanism with hinges in the band. Can anybody else smell a Monster lawsuit coming? "We're suing because...well, they look like headphones, and only we're allowed to make those. Especially ones with involvement in design marketing from a hip hop artist."

Sennheiser has a series that uses Kleer. HeadRoom was over the moon about those cans. Who knows? Maybe these things won't be that bad. Overpriced no doubt, but just that. Not cat vomit, soundwise.

They're suing everything... "We're suing your company, Sleek, because it rhymes with Beats."

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #120 of 133
Seems like 50cent terminated the deal with Sleek and have signed up with a firm called Sms Audio. Not sure if i like this
ph34r.gif
The cans also got slightly different. But what is the s-logo doing on the cans when its not prodused by Sleek
blink.gif

http://rapdose.com/2011/05/23/50-cent-rocks-sms-audio-headphones-on-billboard-red-carpet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back