Sleek Audio SA7 and SA6R (update: SlashGear Prototype Preview)
Apr 10, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 157

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
sa7.jpg

Sleek Audio SA7. Single block aluminum machined housing , dual balanced armature transducers wrapped in shock absorbing silicone (up to 14000Gs!), carbon fiber outer cover hold by titanium screw, plus the same treble- and bass-port equipped VQ system found on SA6, the new SA7 is not only a pinnacle of design, but may also prove to be the perfect marriage of form and function. Price estimated around $350~400. Not cheap, but still within reason. ETA is 'soon', perhaps with in the next few months.

[size=xx-small]Also a little more about Sleek Audio in my blog.
[Picture taken from the May 2010 issue of Popular Science][/size]

[EDIT] More pictures of SA7.

sa7n.jpg

[4 September 2010] I am sure some of you will love this news: SA6R and SA7 @ IFA Berlin.

SA6R.jpg

SA7K.jpg

[5 September 2010]
SlashGear's preview of SA6R and SA7 prototype.

sleek_audio_sa7_sa6-r_3.jpg

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those look like detachable cables..or do they?

Um, they've always had detachable cables.

Other than the riced-out carbon fiber junk, these don't look too bad. Hopefully they've fixed all of the cable problems that have plagued the SA6.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 157
Good to see Sleek expanding their lineup and moving on from their initial product, the SA6, and hopefully learning from the experience.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 157
Looks great outside of the price. Never really kept up with the SA6, but wondering if the newer cables have proven to be more durable?

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 157
Drool....

Man I liked the SA6. The 7 looks amazing. Dual armature...mmm. I may need to buy demo (buy then sell, lol) these in the near future.

...now if only Phonak Audio followed suit.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do look neat but if they added too much weight to their new housing, which looks a little bigger too, they might be hard to keep in your ears. Will be interesting to hear how they perform …

Carbon fiber is light, as is aluminum. They shouldn't be too weighty.

What's interesting to me is the apparent size of the nozzle to me. That looks like a T4/500 sized nozzle seen on higher end dynamic phones, not the T100 ety size nozzle that BAs generally use. On the other hand, the housing is flat so the driver/s inside must either be BA or dynamic at an angle, which would be unusual. Interesting choices for design. If it is BA, I wonder why they went with a bigger nozzle.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 157
that looks damn sick! screws on an iem looks heavy and the carbon fibre just looks dam SLEEEK. If the sounds good, i might want it!

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's interesting to me is the apparent size of the nozzle to me. That looks like a T4/500 sized nozzle seen on higher end dynamic phones, not the T100 ety size nozzle that BAs generally use.

I was thinking the same too. TF10 also have similar size I think. By the way from my little experience grill wax-guard is usually used in dynamic IEMs.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's interesting to me is the apparent size of the nozzle to me. That looks like a T4/500 sized nozzle seen on higher end dynamic phones, not the T100 ety size nozzle that BAs generally use. On the other hand, the housing is flat so the driver/s inside must either be BA or dynamic at an angle, which would be unusual. Interesting choices for design. If it is BA, I wonder why they went with a bigger nozzle.

Triplefis use big bores like dynamic iems.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking the same too. TF10 also have similar size I think. By the way from my little experience grill wax-guard is usually used in dynamic IEMs.

I think it has to do with the size of the nozzle. With my shures the nozzle was so tiny that I never had to clean it (nothing got in).

From my experiences it seems the reason for a larger nozzle with dynamics vs. BA is that the BA drivers are fully self contained and use acoustic "piping" to move the sound around, whereas dynamics take up the full space in the IEM and require a large nozzle for bass presence. So then, is this another one of those unholy hybrids? (I hope so
biggrin.gif
).

EDIT: I guess if it had enough drivers like the triple.fi then it might merit a bigger nozzle.

(I'm not really sure what I'm talking about here but it can't hurt to speculate
tongue.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back