Sleek Audio SA7 and SA6R (update: SlashGear Prototype Preview)
Apr 10, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carbon fiber is light, as is aluminum. They shouldn't be too weighty.

What's interesting to me is the apparent size of the nozzle to me. That looks like a T4/500 sized nozzle seen on higher end dynamic phones, not the T100 ety size nozzle that BAs generally use. On the other hand, the housing is flat so the driver/s inside must either be BA or dynamic at an angle, which would be unusual. Interesting choices for design. If it is BA, I wonder why they went with a bigger nozzle.

The Westone 2 is flat as well, so I wouldn't say its unusual anymore.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 157
These do look nice but price is not so nice. I'll wait for some reviews to show up before I even consider them

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #18 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's interesting to me is the apparent size of the nozzle to me. That looks like a T4/500 sized nozzle seen on higher end dynamic phones, not the T100 ety size nozzle that BAs generally use. On the other hand, the housing is flat so the driver/s inside must either be BA or dynamic at an angle, which would be unusual. Interesting choices for design. If it is BA, I wonder why they went with a bigger nozzle.

I suspect it's an illusion of the picture and that the nozzle is about the same size as the SA-6.

These look really nice, if I wasn't planning to make the jump to the JH 13 Pro's in the near future I'd be all over them when they come out. As it is it's tempting to give them a whirl.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 157
IMO that price= customs not universals.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 157
eh I still think its universals at that price. Customs are still a bit more expensive but not by much and the customs near those prices don't typically have high resale value.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These do look nice but price is not so nice. I'll wait for some reviews to show up before I even consider them

Same.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #22 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same.

I think most of us here buy things based on reviews in Head-Fi. Less is willing to be a white mouse trying new products
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #23 of 157
The pic shows the wireless system. Does the price include this wireless system? I will note for those saying it's pricey, the SA6 + wireless is +$300 retail. Most of the other multi-driver IEMs out there have retail pricing north of $300 to $400 or more. Even if it doesn't include the wireless system, it is not terribly priced for a premium product. Even something like the UM2 dual driver IEM is priced at $299 retail. Then again, retail is retail. Open market and used pricing will be better.

As well, Sleek is trying to produce a premium device, not only sound wise but also design wise. Even with the SA6 I joked as saying it is like the Ferrari of IEMs, sort of an engineer's wet dream. This is an expansion of that, and design does come at a price. Frankly, Sleek is building some seriously good hardware.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #24 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most of us here buy things based on reviews in Head-Fi. Less is willing to be a white mouse trying new products
icon10.gif

Nonsense. Being a Head-fi'er is as much about being a white mouse as it is being a review reader. We don't feel sorry about our wallet just for waiting in-line.
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Confession: I was one of the first few to pick up an SA6 when it reached Asia.
tongue.gif

[EDIT]To answer the wireless question: I believe the Kleer wireless kit in the picture will be sold for $100 on its own. The estimated price is only for SA7.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #26 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonsense. Being a Head-fi'er is as much about being a white mouse as it is being a review reader. We don't feel sorry about our wallet just for waiting in-line.
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

[EDIT]To answer the wireless question: I believe the Kleer wireless kit in the picture will be sold for $100 on its own. The estimated price is only for SA7.

Hmmm possibly $400 for a dual drive BA earphone with a replacable cable with no wireless included in the price. Oh wait you must be refering the some JH5's or UE4's then :p seriously why wouldn't you just buy customs at that price.

If it includes the Kleer set, and at that price I would certainly hope so, then maybe they have something reasonable going on.

I'm curious to see how the pricing works out.

Obviously the effort and extra expense of customs isn't for everyone but you have to put the two into perspective

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #27 of 157
HOT !!!

btw, the nozzle look really like the SA1, which I had trouble fitting the sa6's dual flange onto

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #28 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

This is it
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #29 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm possibly $400 for a dual drive BA earphone with a replacable cable with no wireless included in the price. Oh wait you must be refering the some JH5's or UE4's then :p seriously why wouldn't you just buy customs at that price.

First, all custom can ever guarantee is a custom fit. There is no such thing as custom == better sound. I know a person who owns JH5 ends up loving Ortofon e-Q7 more. Second, from my experience with IEM (and I do hear and own a lot of them), the number of drivers =/= better sound. Third, the listing MSRP of UM3X is $569 though it is sold at $400. The listing MSRP of SE530 is $500 though you can find it regularly at $280. Listing price is not everything, nor does it indicate the SQ. Fourth, don't forget SA7 has VQ system to tune the sound to your own liking. Fifth, Buying custom will require more faith as there will be a bigger lost if you don't like it. You can sell a close-to-new universal at higher price than custom since the buyer doesn't need to pay for remolding. You can't sell a close-to-new $400 custom at $350 since the remolding fee means the buyer will be better off with a brand new pair him/herself with full warranty instead of a costly remold.

The real perspective is, there are shortcoming on choosing custom as well as universal IEM at the same price, and not necessary that one must be better than the other.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 157
I debated getting entry level customs awhile back but I didn't see how it really made much sense for me. At that level I felt it would be a bit of a crap shoot, I was doubtful that I would be getting a product I would be happy with for years to come so the itch to upgrade would come into play but I'd be stuck with something I couldn't sell to fund a new purchase.

It seems like that upper level of customs starts more about the $800+ range but personally I'd be reluctant to spend much more than about $500 on a universal unless the general consensus was that they somehow were able to rival the best customs and had a sonic flavor I felt would be pleasing.

I was one of the first people on Head-Fi to buy the SA-6 when they came out, in fact I still have them as I've always really liked them. I have been fortunate enough to be able to spend a few days with a demo pair of JH 13 pro's which has made the decision to go that route much easier but based on my past experiences with the SA-6's and Jason and family if I wasn't planning to make that leap I wouldn't be hesitating to be one of the first to try the SA-7 this time around. If they can better the SA-6 while keeping the general flavor I think these could potentially be right up there with the best universals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back