Skullcandy Aviator appreciation
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #61 of 86
Yeah I get really sick of the vocals after 5 songs. But they add to the deranged twisted vibe

Sonic Youth is another one of those bands that is more about instruments than its vocals,

Also Black Google is the instrumental version of exmilitary

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #62 of 86
Well I remember listening at a BB kiosk a while back while waiting for a clerk to help me with something else and was pleasantly surprised and really liked the retro look and although the demo loop was crap music I liked the tone/neutrality of them and the nice mids. Currently they are on sale at my local best buy for $68 and I had $15 in reward zone cash for $53 I am going to give them a go as my mobile 'cans' since Skullcandy has a great warranty and my current travel cans (AT M50's) feel like a vise crushing my skull after about 45 min wear. As soon as they get broken in a bit I will post back with my final impressions

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #64 of 86
Got myself a pair yesterday. So far I'm not very impressed with sound, I think the 2013 bears studios sound better (and those sound pretty good.) But ill give the Aviators another 12 hours Break in and then give my verdict.

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #65 of 86
I just got a pair and while I don't think they're fantastic, they're better than from memory. They're good enough to make it hard to justify keeping my ESW9.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #66 of 86
I have the recent 34 ohm version (the earlier versions were 65ohm) and coupled with my Sony NWZ-E345 and NW-F807 players they sound great (especially through an amp which surprised me!) I didn't have an amp when I originally posted this, though i recently picked up an iBasso D2+ Boa and it adds a definitive warmth to the sound over all as well as a deeper, more taut bass performance and cleaner mids and highs.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #68 of 86
They have a harsh plastic sound to my ears.

Did you listen to them at, say, Best Buy or with a rig your with which you are familiar? They were on sale for a killer price when I got them and while they were in transit, I went to BB to give a listen and regretted my purchase immediately (the only 'phones that sounded even half-way decent at the store were the UE600s). They arrived and I decided to give them a chance. It did take a while for them to break in and after they did, I found them quite natural sounding with remarkable clarity - no harshness or plasticky sound at all. As xlin6 staded, they really come to life with an amp. The only thing I do not like about them is that, even though they are "closed", they pick up ambient noise (like you find in an open office environment) and that noise sounds like holding seashells up to one's ears. This goes away once the music starts and/or in a quiet environment.

Of course, it all boils down to personal preference, which makes this hobby so much fun! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #69 of 86
I swore to never get skull-candies again after my INK'd broke in less than a week of weak use. Plus skull-candy eartips are king if you want all the wax out of your ear. Seriously, they need different ear tips, all skull-candy ear tips are wax magnets. Maybe i'll buy another pair, because I like torturing myself :wink:

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #70 of 86
They have a harsh plastic sound to my ears.

In that case i'd say seek out a better set up because there is absolutely nothing harsh or plastic sounding about them when properly sourced.  even Tyll from Inner Fidelity and Head Fi founder Jude were well impressed by the Aviators and for very good reasons. also 12-24 hours is far from enough burn in time,i found mine really opening up (especially in he lower mids) after 65-70 hours.

After reading some of your other posts on the forums it seems to me you prefer for the most part very bass heavy cans (i.e. Beats) and so that being the case the Aviators are definitely not suited to your tastes (they have ample bass when called upon though it's more detailed and laid back than in your face or booming). their real strength is in clarity, balance and rich texturing/tonality which is why i think you would have been better off picking up the Navigators which despite their similar name and design are the polar opposite of the Aviators.

The bottom line is,no headphone is for everyone,as Funambulistic stated it's our preferences which make the hobby/passion/obsession so fun (and addicting).

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #71 of 86
Did you listen to them at, say, Best Buy or with a rig your with which you are familiar? They were on sale for a killer price when I got them and while they were in transit, I went to BB to give a listen and regretted my purchase immediately (the only 'phones that sounded even half-way decent at the store were the UE600s). They arrived and I decided to give them a chance. It did take a while for them to break in and after they did, I found them quite natural sounding with remarkable clarity - no harshness or plasticky sound at all. As xlin6 staded, they really come to life with an amp. The only thing I do not like about them is that, even though they are "closed", they pick up ambient noise (like you find in an open office environment) and that noise sounds like holding seashells up to one's ears. This goes away once the music starts and/or in a quiet environment.

Of course, it all boils down to personal preference, which makes this hobby so much fun! :wink_face:  

FYI, I own the aviators. Used them for a week and couldn't stand the harsh treble. To the other guy who quoted me, yes I enjoy beats for some music, but I also own the hd 380 and 650 when I want to take sound serious. To my ears the aviators have a metallic plasticky sound. Sound is preference, so why am I being pestered for my own opinion. They sound better than the old beats studios that's for sure.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #73 of 86
FYI, I own the aviators. Used them for a week and couldn't stand the harsh treble. To the other guy who quoted me, yes I enjoy beats for some music, but I also own the hd 380 and 650 when I want to take sound serious. To my ears the aviators have a metallic plasticky sound. Sound is preference, so why am I being pestered for my own opinion. They sound better than the old beats studios that's for sure.

Are these the original Beats?

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #75 of 86
By monster yes. I decided to take another listen to them today. Better than I remember, great for country and rock but other genres just didn't do it with these cans.

Then in that case, we will definitely have to agree to disagree. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back