Skullcandy Aviator appreciation
Feb 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #46 of 86
Quote:
i listened to them, would pay <50$, feels like really ****ty plastic construction that would get broken if i dropped them onto my bed. sound didn't leave an impression on me, i only remember some graininess throughout the spectrum and a cramped soundstage with no imaging at all.

Wth man, its made of metal. lol

I rma'd mines twice but that was because the jack got screwed up in my pocket, now that they have a replaceable wire, shoot.

best pair i've had amoung most, almost as good as my senns but not quite, senns seem to be a bit clearer, or maybe thats just isolation issue. 

FLAC are amazing, forget in store displays. 

on a side note, learn to take care of your crap and you won't drop em lolol. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #47 of 86
Quote:
i listened to them, would pay <50$, feels like really ****ty plastic construction that would get broken if i dropped them onto my bed. sound didn't leave an impression on me, i only remember some graininess throughout the spectrum and a cramped soundstage with no imaging at all.

Doesn't sound like you were looking at the Aviators, bro. The frame is made of metal. The only major plastic parts I see are the earpiece coverings, (a previous review on this site mentioned that they were polycarbonate). My only complaints so far is that 1) if something brushes against the metal frame, I will hear it. 2) because it is over ear, it clamps my ears onto the arms of my glasses, which can become rather uncomfortable over extended periods.

edit: user manual confirms coverings are indeed polycarbonate

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #48 of 86
these are not Bassy like most assume.

the bass is JUST RIGHT on these. Very well put together sets.

i love them. These easily replaced my beats studio (which i stopped using due to the wifi static issue)

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #49 of 86
When I was in Target buying up all their Comply tips that were on clearance, I moseyed over to the full size cans - they had a couple of Sonys, a couple of Skullcandys and no less than 5 different Monster Beats headphones. I thought the Sonys were okay - nothing stellar - the Beats sounded bad - the bass overpowered everything - I can see how the uninitiated would be wowed by them - but not high fidelity by any means. Then I tried the Hesh model Skullcandy and thought they sounded awful - but then I tried the Aviators - I actually heard mids and highs - they actually had a soundstage. Now I know they aren't as brilliant as a Beyer or some of the other popular cans discussed on these forums, but there was an airiness and clarity missing from all the other headphones. The bass wasn't bloated and they sounded good. They sound better than the DRZ701IP I bought from Staples last year (List price $149 - although I got them for $30 on clearance) I would not pay $149 for these, but they are certainly worth half that. And with a lifetime warranty (I can attest from experience that they stand behind this warranty - my son has destroyed many a pair of Titans) they are worth a look. I guess I was most surprised that amidst a row of headphones, the Aviators were far and away the best sounding cans there....

May 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #52 of 86
I bought a pair of these mainly because I couldn't resist the styling, and there was a sale! I have to say I thought I was going to be disappointed, and with the first few listens I was. But now I have been using them for a few weeks I have to say they are a great little pair of cans.
They are nice and clear for everyday portable use, and so far I haven't found a genre they can't handle well. They are a tad light on the treble but it is forgivable. To be honest skullcandy have come up with a good product here. Also, I've never had so many comments about a pair of phones from random people on the street (I have the brown/gold ones)
Still think for SQ alone they are overpriced but build quality and bling factor make up for it!

Q701 at home, sc aviators on the go is where I'm at at the moment

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #54 of 86
I have had the aviators for a while now. In the beginning I was really impressed, driving them just from a rockboxed iPod. Then, as I learned more and more about sound quality and fidelity etc, I realized where they were lacking. I have a slightly impaired higher register so that side of things didn't really bother me (as it did somebody else earlier in the thread), but the bass was just not quite there, neither presence nor quality.
However, I recently bought my first outboard DAC, the Objective 2 Standalone by JDS Labs, and despite the fact that they are not supposed to drive headphones directly, I plugged in the Aviators (and everything else I own one after the other). It made quite a difference, more so with the Aviators than with most of the others. The sound is much better, the instrument separation jumps up a league or two, and the bass suddenly becomes beautifully clear and much tighter, and doesn't come at the price of having to muffle everything else. And really becomes a very good pair of cans. My everyday can is the Sennheiser HD25 I-II, which I love to bits but is lacking in soundstage. The Aviators don't have as good an overall SQ but have an excellent soundstage, and compete much better with the (much more expensive) Senns when plugged into the ODAC. But it just doesn't hold up well when plugged into an iPod, which is strange, because it seems to have been designed for iPods and such, Skullcandy being a consumer brand not an audiophile one.

As to build quality, I got (received) mine with a iPod mic and remote thing which stopped responding about 3 weeks after the purchase (warranty not relevant the purchase having been made in a different country). Annoying, but on an iPod touch that is really just gravy, and far from a necessity. And then a few months further down the road I had to replace the cable entirely. Which pissed me off, so the cable is flimsy and unreliable.
But the frame is sturdy as hell, and the plastic is solid as it comes. I fell off my bike at 18 kph (11 mph) and landed, basically on my ear. The Aviators may as well have just said "meh". There are a few minor scratches on the plastic now, but basically nothing happened (to the earphone. I was in considerable pain).

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #55 of 86
I just received a pair (black - wanted chrome, but actual WAF kicked in [she saw Anne Hathaway with a chrome pair in Vogue or some such]) but the price was right on the big A (gotta spend my B-day money somehow). Initial impressions: RAW! (or is it RAWER?). Either these suck or they need some serious break-in time. So... Listened for about an hour last night; meh (I also received with the shipment - my two-year-old was proud to pronounce them as "Toys!" - an HRT MicroStreamer [evaluation to come]). I brought them to work this morning and let them burn whilst I was doing other important work things. In the 3+  hours or so, thay have opened up andI am enjoying the nice mids and highs. All I can say right now is that these are not full-o-bass cans. In fact (closet bass head, though self-proclaimed "audiophile" that I am) these are a bit lacking in the cranial compresion department. I have several tracks, ranging the gamut, for evaluation purposes, but the one I always come back to is "Up Up Up Up Up Up" by Ani diFranco. In my experience (at least headphone-wise) when the bass drum kicks (pun intended) in, one should feel it. These do not deliver. Maybe hooked uo to my Z02...

Late Friday evening: The Jay-Z specials have had about 6 hours of burn-in time and are mellowing out big time. I do not think the bass is going to present itself like a nubile wench (sorry, too many RenFests) but things up higher (above her bust line, as it were) are starting to smooth out. The cups are starting to hurt my lobes (yeah, I've got a big head - what of it?) but SEEM to be complying (that ir my ears a numbing out). Listening to Tool and having a great tme!

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #56 of 86
Anyone else think these sound amazing with songs with tons of layers of drumbeats? Like electronic music and some hip hop.

Seriously reccomend you guys download exmillitary by deathgrips, its a free mix tape.

It feels like they are playing in a bubble and its inside my head

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #58 of 86
I actually found these extremely comfortable, but they have been replaced by a recent purchase of similarly priced AKG K141 MKII's, which have a much (much much) more detailed sound, and far closer to neutral. But they are way harder to drive, and with the Aviators' isolation isn't stellar, with the K141's it is pretty much non-existent. Plus the Aviators are by far the more portable cans. So as portable 'phones, until I get a portable amp. the Aviators take the K141's. After I get my port-amp, I shall update with the details.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #59 of 86
Now that they have broken in, I too find them very comfortable and I have a pretty big head. They sound pretty good through my HRT Microstreamer on EDM and such, but I find if I add my Z02, they become freakin' monsters - and I love it! Thanks for the tip on exmilitary - will have to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back