Skullcandy Aviator appreciation
Jun 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 86

Quote:
I have never tried them (nor do I want to), but I can see this thread going places
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
The Aviators and M50 are both consumer "BASS BASS BASSSSSSSSSSS" headphones imo, just one is considered audiophile because it's Audio-Technica and apparently used in studios.

how can you have an opinion on something that you've never tried? the aviators are not your typical bass heavy skullcandy type of headphone. they're less bass heavy than my JVC-HA750's, that's for sure, however, the beauty of these phones is that if you want the low range, you can have it. EQ it out. you can have your subwoofer bass. but flattened, you get the bass that's there and not much coloring.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 86

Quote:
The Aviators and M50 are both consumer "BASS BASS BASSSSSSSSSSS" headphones imo, just one is considered audiophile because it's Audio-Technica and apparently used in studios.

Nijja are you serious.

M50 bass is not strong, it's weak as hell. It only looks strong because the mids are recessed a little. Overall though it's pretty damn neutral and serves extremely well as studio monitor cans.

Think before spewing stuff out of your dark end the next time.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 86

Quote:
Ah, the usual mindless bashing. Gotta love head-fi.

It does get pretty old.

I'm not too mad though. Us headphone fans can enjoy headphones, and the other guys can just enjoy their brand names.
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 86
Indeed, but with the admin putting in a few good words about it, I'd have figured the bashing would've died down. Guess not.

I'm open to trying these, they do look pretty nice.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #23 of 86
The frequency graph is quite interesting for these, as you can see it's far improved from the typical Skullcandy offering which Hesh represents in this case and also it shares a similar kind of shape as the Ultrasone HFI-580 with further strengthened mid/upper bass (note the mids and highs also stay above it meaning it shouldn't be such a huge difference in the bass against HFI-580). These have unusually high avg loudness amplitude, most of it is above zero level, wonder what that results in.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:
The frequency graph is quite interesting for these, as you can see it's far improved from the typical Skullcandy offering which Hesh represents in this case and also it shares a similar kind of shape as the Ultrasone HFI-580 with further strengthened mid/upper bass (note the mids and highs also stay above it meaning it shouldn't be such a huge difference in the bass against HFI-580). These have unusually high avg loudness amplitude, most of it is above zero level, wonder what that results in.

Listening to the Aviators made me think of the HFI 580 immediately but with more recessed midrange. I only got to listen to them through my Iphone. I wonder what my Cowon could have done... I'll make sure to give 'em a try =) If I like it, I might end up buying a pair. I find that it looks really sexy

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #25 of 86
Yea it's seen in the graph as well that midrange should be slightly more recessed especially at 1kHz, so I'd especially boost the 1kHz band on the EQ a bit as well as the very high frequencies around 16kHz or whatever your EQ has as well as a very deep bass boost and possibly reduce ~500Hz a tiny bit to make it less "thick"/muddy sounding simply going from the graph above, might not be required in practice as a frequency graph doesn't tell the whole story.

Maybe something like this on if using iTunes EQ as reference: 

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 86
I'm currently listening to the new Coldplay album on the Aviators, amped by my TTVJ Slim and it's quite nice and lovely to listen to. Very detailed, clean, and natural. People should keep an open mind if they haven't heard the Aviators, especially amped. Hope to try that isolation mod soon that Armaegis came up with. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #27 of 86
Yeah, I got my Aviators a few weeks ago, and I must say I am loving them. They are a seriously good value purchase for an audiophile who's looking for a pair of more fashionable cans that they wouldn't mind being seen in out on the streets ;P but seriously. Awesome mids and highs, a little bit of a recessed bass but only noticeable on lower-quality tracks; anything 320kbps or above sounds impeccable, perfect bass and everything. I'm not a true audiophile, per se, but I definitely care about my sound quality, and I can say that at least for now and within my budget, the Aviators do the trick. Plus they look so damn nice.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #28 of 86

Quote:
Yeah, I got my Aviators a few weeks ago, and I must say I am loving them. They are a seriously good value purchase for an audiophile who's looking for a pair of more fashionable cans that they wouldn't mind being seen in out on the streets ;P but seriously. Awesome mids and highs, a little bit of a recessed bass but only noticeable on lower-quality tracks; anything 320kbps or above sounds impeccable, perfect bass and everything. I'm not a true audiophile, per se, but I definitely care about my sound quality, and I can say that at least for now and within my budget, the Aviators do the trick. Plus they look so damn nice.

Agreed, they have great tonality also and scale nicely with an amp. It's too bad not many take a chance on them. If it weren't for the lack of isolation I'd be keeping mine.

May 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #29 of 86
Quote:
I'm currently listening to the new Coldplay album on the Aviators, amped by my TTVJ Slim and it's quite nice and lovely to listen to. Very detailed, clean, and natural. People should keep an open mind if they haven't heard the Aviators, especially amped. Hope to try that isolation mod soon that Armaegis came up with. 

Can you point me to the thread or link where the isolation mod is?

Thanks

May 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #30 of 86
What the hell happened here? Are we suddenly being fooled by the relative comparison to their other cans? The aviators, while admittedly better-sounding than most skullcandy cans, still sound like a wet fart. And frankly they look it, too. But I guess there's no objective measure for pretty so I'll let that one slide.

(And yes, I have tried them; my opinion is not based on the brand alone. For the stated price I was mighty disappointed.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back