skull candy or vmoda? ....also on a budget!
Nov 1, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #31 of 44
Get skullcandy.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, there are some angry posters here. Come on guys, you were also a newbie at one point. Stop trolling the threads and ripping people apart for not using the (barely functioning) search function.

Dancing Lemons--sorry, most people at Head-Fi are very nice people, I think you just hit a raw nerve. Skullcandy is a forbidden word around here. Don't personally know why, as I haven't owned a pair. I frankly think they look great, although not really my style. My understanding is that they sound like crap, although this could be fanboy propaganda... again, I don't personally review anything that I haven't owned.

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, I for some reason there seem to be more aggressive posts in this one thread than I've seen in my entire membership here (however brief it may be).

I had several friends purchase Skullcandy's at FYE this past weekend for something like $5 (big sale). I listened to them for a short while, and they weren't the worst things I've ever heard. I'd compare them to iBuds, not great by any means, but listenable in a pinch (workouts, cheap spares, whatever). For that price, they were an OK buy, but I wouldn't pay much more than that for them. The Yuin PK2 (or heck, any Yuin earbuds) are the best earbuds out there, period. And, they happen to fall within your budget.

The Yuin PK2 (or heck, any of the Yuin buds) are outstanding buys. And they are within your budget.
icon10.gif

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=3

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #33 of 44
Of all of the IEM's and headphones skullcandy make, I have to say that the Smoking Buds Ink'd are by far the best, and are well worth the $15 and much better than a pair of Marshmallows. Generally people look down on Skullcandy because they go for looks rather than sound quality and many people will tell you that for their MSRP's much better ones can be had. When you decide to venture up into the <$100 category, I strongly suggest looking into the UE Super.fi 3's and the Ety ER-6i's. BTW, if you do have a Radio Shack near, the Super.fi 3's should be on sale for $50, and someone just posted this coupon not too long ago: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7...k123108uq3.jpg

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get skullcandy.

LOL. I think we need a Skullcandy smiley.
cool.gif

With regards to this "angry poster" nonsense, of course people are going to be firm in their beliefs on these headphones. When a new user asks for advice and then is rude to someone giving them advice, you can't expect them not to get angry. There are lots of smart kids out there who don't need to "look cool to kick it". And if these people would just realize that what is being said about SkullCandy in their schools is not the gospel truth and will give much cheaper headphones like the KSC75 a chance, they will have a good head start into this hobby. For $100 you can get some excellent headphones, so why waste your money on something that is all flash and no substance?

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't state your budget, what you are going to use the headphones for, and obviously haven't even done a cursory search.

The time I took to type that seems about the amount of time that it is worth dedicating to this thread given the above.

In the OPs defense, this came across as rude to me too. So I can see where he is coming from. Then he is forced to defend himself, so of course he will seem rude, but it was just defense.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #36 of 44
Seems like you need a little bit of isolation and something easy to drive without an amp. Radioshack had the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, on sale for half price at $49.99.
I got a set,and i like them alot for the sale price.
Theyre very clear, and have some sound stage for an IEM.
Not for the bass head,but good.
You may want to see if theyre on sale still.

And i can totally see where you felt you were attacked. I would have felt the same way actually. What was said seemed a little bit harsh,and we should try to be a little more helpful instead of complaining that maybe he didnt research enough when hes a noobe. Also we dont know his age. Ive searched this forum many times and couldnt find what i want,and its very possible it can be on this forum a hundred times somewhere,but i missed it and started a thread. Maybe it wasnt said with any bad intent at all, but i can also see how it could have been taken in a bad way too.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #37 of 44
Well OP, you saying earbuds, but I think you mean IEMs. In headfi terminology, earbuds are the little headphones that are supported by your external ear, such as the buds that come with the iPod. IEMs are the earplug-like devices that go in your ear canal, like the smokin buds. Since you seem interested in IEMs, I would have put my vote in for a Crossroads Mylarone. I personally have their X3 model, and find it to sound excellent, but you may prefer the XB, which has more bass. IEMs would be excellent on the bus, since their bass won't be drowned out by the rumble of the engine and road noise.

You can order them from the iriver store at
http://www.theiriverstore.com

Just click on accessories -> headphones -> crossroads mylarone.
There's a dropbox for the style you want. There are 4 choices - 3 color schemes for X3 and 1 XB.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #38 of 44
Yeah.. this thread is a bit confusing. Now I'm definitely not trying to be rude, but some people were right when they say you need to do a little research. If you did do research, you didn't do it here since skullcandy came in as one of your two options
tongue.gif
But seriously, the reason you should do a bit more research is so that it's easier for us to recommend phones for you. Maybe I just wasn't getting it, but it seemed like you didn't initially know the differences between earbuds, canal phones, and IEM's (maybe you do now) and that really gets confusing. No worries
biggrin.gif

Now, I would love to recommend you some Etymotics but I don't think they're what you're looking for. Maybe watch the FS forums for some UM1's
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh.. and now that you have a bunch of recommendations, browse the forums and find out info about how the different headphones sound and try to make a good decision based on the opinions of head-fiers who have heard them(unless you can listen to them at a store--I generally can't
frown.gif
).

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #39 of 44
why isnt anyone suggestion [size=xx-large]mylarone x3?[/size] Those are the best ear buds you can get for the money!

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why isnt anyone suggestion [size=xx-large]mylarone x3?[/size] Those are the best ear buds you can get for the money!

QFT

Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Do some research on the many entry-level canalphones available for under $100. The Mylarone X3 and Sennheiser CX300 are good places to start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you seem interested in IEMs, I would have put my vote in for a Crossroads Mylarone. I personally have their X3 model, and find it to sound excellent, but you may prefer the XB, which has more bass. [/url]

Two people have suggestion them on this page.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #42 of 44
Most people on amazon have never dreamed of spending over $100 on headphones, let alone $50. The reviews look great there for the same reason why Hyundai cars get great reviews from customers. It probably is the greatest thing they have ever driven, but what are they comparing it to? All reviews are biased in a sense, we can only judge based on our past experience. The sad truth is, the smokinbuds probably are the best sounding headphones those people have listened to. Thats what makes this site great. Most of the posters here giving recommendations have "been around the block"..... most of them a time or 2.

Headphones, like cars, are strange beasts. Until you experience something better, your new toy is the best thing on the planet. I really cant see how a headphone could be better than my se210's, but I know, because of this site and its members, that thier are things out there that will blow my mind. 1 year ago, my sony mdr v600 were at the top of my list, I would have rated them a perfect 10. Now.... eh, not so much.

I hope this makes some sense, and just trust me on this. Until you trust one of these fine members, and take their word for it, it really can be quite hard to believe that what they are recommending can be better than what you are experiencing now. But after you take that leap, you'll know the possibilities are virtually limitless.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #43 of 44
I think in the begining, the snap of do some research more or less meant using the search function here at head-fi. to see the general consensus on skull candys, instead of amazon.com.

With that said. Given your current situation (and not having heard any of the recomended options),and assuming somehow you don't get the chance to try out the said options. I would probably go with the Yuin PK2/super.fi3 if I were in your shoes.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #44 of 44
you should look into some $40 JVC FX66. They are a great remake of the well liked $20 JVC marshmallows. they are both great little buds. I have a pair of marshmallows and they are pretty good, but have a ton of bass, and they can be modded to increase trebble and balance with the bass. both great little IEM's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back