Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,081 of 1,671
  And I was just getting ready to post this review as definitive proof of a CD mat's effectiveness.

http://www.stereomojo.com/MILLENNIUM%20CD%20MAT%20REVIEW/MillenniumCDMatReview.htm

The guy's wife immediately noticed a difference, so it has to work.  You just need to buy it, I mean, listen to it.

I just bought it, re-ripped my whole CD collection and immediately noticed some bits I had never heard before. Now it all sounds as if all the bits are for the very first time in perfect order and harmony, especially when I sit on the mat while listening. The difference is so obvious that I didn't bother to perform any DBT/ABX nonsense.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,082 of 1,671
  And I was just getting ready to post this review as definitive proof of a CD mat's effectiveness.

http://www.stereomojo.com/MILLENNIUM%20CD%20MAT%20REVIEW/MillenniumCDMatReview.htm

The guy's wife immediately noticed a difference, so it has to work.  You just need to buy it, I mean, listen to it.

"If you have been reading Stereomojo for long, you know that I am a bit of a skeptic…"

Only the least significant bit, apparently. 

Yeah, yeah, I'll get my coat.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #1,083 of 1,671
When my wife says "Ohhhh yeah. BIG difference...." her eyes are usually rolling into the back of her head. :)

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,084 of 1,671
Maybe I missed it, but the whole firmware update has completely changed the sound of my DAP is a bit of a stretch.  Over in the DX90 thread, the "lurker" modded firmware is supposed to be the only way to go.  When I looked at his website and read the description of the changes he made, there's nothing there that would alter the sound profile at all.  Anyway, something you bastions of objectivity might want to refute.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,085 of 1,671
Just found this thread. Late to the party as usual!

I am very interested in the topic of EQing headphones which started off the thread. People seem to dismiss so many phones based purely on frequency response preferences, although that is so easily remedied (assuming you use a smart listening device like a PC or smartphone which can run parametric EQ). Why are almost all head-fiers ignoring this?

I won't be buying any headphones without EQing a group of them first, and judging them on other properties such as rise time, decay, distortion, dynamics, control, etc.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,086 of 1,671

I am very interested in the topic of EQing headphones which started off the thread. People seem to dismiss so many phones based purely on frequency response preferences, although that is so easily remedied (assuming you use a smart listening device like a PC or smartphone which can run parametric EQ). Why are almost all head-fiers ignoring this?

I won't be buying any headphones without EQing a group of them first, and judging them on other properties such as rise time, decay, distortion, dynamics, control, etc.

Personally I like to purchase them, and listen to music with them, But hey, you do what you like.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #1,087 of 1,671

people adamant against EQ are also those who know nothing at all about it. so as often, I'd say ignorance and witch hunting are the reason why almost all headfiers are ignoring this.

also it's anti elite. if all you need to do to get nice pleasant sound is to EQ and maybe use a little crossfeed, then the guy who spent 3000$ on sources to color his hd800 will be sad.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,088 of 1,671
I have to say, there certainly has been some good popcorn eatin' entertainment in certain threads here the last couple of days...  Too much for the fun police it seems.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,091 of 1,671
I have to say, I made myself laugh with the uht oh picture of the baby!

We have fun around here at least. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong!

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #1,092 of 1,671
A hobby is about fun. So is music. If youre spending $$$$ again and again to please yourself with higher quality music (which is debateable) instead of actually LISTENING to the music... Youre doing it wrong.
More an obsession with gear than hobby of music.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,095 of 1,671
Personally I like to purchase them, and listen to music with them, But hey, you do what you like.

All headphones can reproduce music, so if that's your only requirement then buy the cheapest ones you can find. Some of us are searching for maximum detail and natural sound, and EQ can help to achieve that goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back