Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,066 of 1,671
  I notice that Gregorio's "24 bit vs 16 bit Myth" and the "Testing Audiophile Myths" threads are particular targets of trolls. I think some folks would dearly love to see those threads get locked. Does anyone else get that feeling?

I don't get a sense that the current thread of conversation is really lock worthy; just lots of mind-numbing repeating, but that's internet forums :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,067 of 1,671
  I notice that Gregorio's "24 bit vs 16 bit Myth" and the "Testing Audiophile Myths" threads are particular targets of trolls. I think some folks would dearly love to see those threads get locked. Does anyone else get that feeling?

Hanlon's razor.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,068 of 1,671
Ha! Well there's plenty of that to go around!

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,069 of 1,671
So been reading some expensive DAP threads/reviews last days and while I believe in confirmation bias etc. etc., I could not find (m)any DBT of different high end mp3 players. Except the impedance, could those Pono, Sony, Tera players not have any standard EQ turned on which you cannot turn off that gives them a different sound? Dont think so but I also couldnt find anything about it.

Also the Sony ZX2 has two (!) crystals built-in which gives it a much brighter sound than ZX1 that has only one crystal. Omg!

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,070 of 1,671
  So been reading some expensive DAP threads/reviews last days and while I believe in confirmation bias etc. etc., I could not find (m)any DBT of different high end mp3 players. Except the impedance, could those Pono, Sony, Tera players not have any standard EQ turned on which you cannot turn off that gives them a different sound? Dont think so but I also couldnt find anything about it.

Also the Sony ZX2 has two (!) crystals built-in which gives it a much brighter sound than ZX1 that has only one crystal. Omg!

for practical reason it is pretty much impossible to exactly time align a song on 2 daps(you press play at the same time and the faster processor or smaller buffer wins). and any loop when switching even for a really short time can be enough to identify one of the DAP, making the DBT ineffective. same with the volume setting, to get a comfortable listening level and also under 0.1db difference is really no small feat when some DAPs can go 3db by 3db at times with each step.
for the hiss I guess we could deal use a not too sensitive headphone(but sensitive enough to be driven correctly even by a weak sony).

my idea would be to just record the DAPs(several Kohm line input would make the impedance of the DAP irrelevant) and abx the result(once aligned), but then somebody would whine that the uber greatness of some expensive crap can't be recorded with a mere terrestrial soundcard, and is the reason people failed the test(or any of the usual denial anti test excuses).

about the ZX series, well 2 is stronger than one! that's science, you need 2 ones to make a 2 ^_^. and crystal sounds bright, gold sounds warm, and only rainbow DAPs can give the full spectrum of frequencies. sony marketing has been once again very good at ignoring the elephant in the room by talking about how non amp related stuff were great when the amp is the bottleneck. I hope for people who bought the ZX2 that the output is weak but good.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,071 of 1,671
It doesn't matter which one is a tiny bit earlier or later if you have someone else start the playback while your back is turned.

I think the reason that you don't see many DBTs of DAPs is because people know they all sound the same and don't bother to publish them. It's kind of like issuing a declaration that the sun came up this morning.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,078 of 1,671
#likehunter :)

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,079 of 1,671
And I was just getting ready to post this review as definitive proof of a CD mat's effectiveness.

http://www.stereomojo.com/MILLENNIUM%20CD%20MAT%20REVIEW/MillenniumCDMatReview.htm

The guy's wife immediately noticed a difference, so it has to work.  You just need to buy it, I mean, listen to it.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,080 of 1,671
That article employs the oldest of the snake oil sales techniques... "EVEN MY WIFE CAN HEAR A DIFFERENCE!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back