Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 27, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #1,366 of 1,671
Who was that?

Can't remember the name of the company. It's probably in the thread that was locked back around that time. It was a sales rep that was assigned to HeadFi to talk up their products. I don't think he had MotT status, but people did some asking around and found out that he had been giving out free samples to posters. They were advertising at the time. He freaked out one night and started insulting everyone in the thread. The next day he and the ads were gone. A few weeks after that it was announced that Sound Science would be formed and it would be the only place where discussions of DBT would be allowed. This was a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy on the details, but it was a very entertaining episode at the time.

Are there any other old timers that remember this? It would have been mid 2000s, I guess. Now that I think about it, I think there was a period where discussion of DBT was forbidden before Sound Science was created. This is ten years ago or so.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,367 of 1,671
I did a little googling and I may be conflating two separate shills. But the main event involved a company called Virtual Dynamics. They had a rep handing out free cables at HeadFi through PMs and posting glowing posts about their products without identifying himself as a member of the trade as I remember. I think the guy who imploded was a junior rep who worked for the company that went by the name of Grizzlepaw. His freak out and all the reactions to it have been deleted.

The thread is a fun read and will sound very familiar http://www.head-fi.org/t/293165/my-cat-tore-up-my-virtual-dynamics-power-3

Googling I also ran across Patrick, the guy with the ostrich avatar who wrapped all his equipment in tin foil. He was one of the most entertaining trolls we ever had at HeadFi. I remember his breathless whispered videos where he showed how he cut up multi thousand dollar cables and glued them back together in different ways. He was a lot of fun. Like something out of a Werner Herzog film. Memories!

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #1,368 of 1,671
Hey guys, have a look at this link while drinking your beer in the saloon: http://www.headfonia.com/on-sound/

Dont forget to read the comments and the replies from Mike (and when he does not reply, mainly when he does not agree of have an answer on it - like: why no abx)

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #1,369 of 1,671
  Hey guys, have a look at this link while drinking your beer in the saloon: http://www.headfonia.com/on-sound/

Dont forget to read the comments and the replies from Mike (and when he does not reply, mainly when he does not agree of have an answer on it - like: why no abx)

I stopped going by their reviews over 3-4 years ago but this is still one of the everlasting gem that cleared any doubts in my mind that Mike is just plain delusional.

I am not sure if the post was going to stay so I took a screen capture. The topic and comment section is much the same as what you have linked.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,371 of 1,671

I stopped going by their reviews over 3-4 years ago but this is still one of the everlasting gem that cleared any doubts in my mind that Mike is just plain delusional.

I am not sure if the post was going to stay so I took a screen capture. The topic and comment section is much the same as what you have linked.

Hmmm, I guess Mike has eyes that can see IR and UV. Damn.......

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,372 of 1,671
Using new human-eye technology, we capture this most detailed shot of the sun yet!

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,373 of 1,671

Yep, his comeback on the Hubble topic was almost ignorant beyond belief. I don't mock people for not knowing something and who want to learn but this is the type who knows nothing and closes his eyes to anything that contradicts his childish fantasies. I can't respect that.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,374 of 1,671
I did a little googling and I may be conflating two separate shills. But the main event involved a company called Virtual Dynamics. They had a rep handing out free cables at HeadFi through PMs and posting glowing posts about their products without identifying himself as a member of the trade as I remember. I think the guy who imploded was a junior rep who worked for the company that went by the name of Grizzlepaw. His freak out and all the reactions to it have been deleted.

The thread is a fun read and will sound very familiar http://www.head-fi.org/t/293165/my-cat-tore-up-my-virtual-dynamics-power-3

Googling I also ran across Patrick, the guy with the ostrich avatar who wrapped all his equipment in tin foil. He was one of the most entertaining trolls we ever had at HeadFi. I remember his breathless whispered videos where he showed how he cut up multi thousand dollar cables and glued them back together in different ways. He was a lot of fun. Like something out of a Werner Herzog film. Memories!

Thanks!

Yeah, I knew about Patrick. The boy was batschiit crazy.

se

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,376 of 1,671

What a train wreck! Thanks for the chuckles. Unbelievable that some people still defended the shonky cable even after learning the truth.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,377 of 1,671

What a train wreck! Thanks for the chuckles. Unbelievable that some people still defended the shonky cable even after learning the truth.

The cat has more brains than the chumps that frequent the cables threads and believe in all the voodoo.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,378 of 1,671
headphonia made me go crazy a few times, and every time I read PRAT I can't help but laugh. but I still went and read most posts for a long time trying to get a few valid information if only a battery life or some other specs for portable devices. that until http://www.headfonia.com/critique-of-audio-cables/  (thanks google for finding this with "headphonia japanese cable" as query ^_^.)
I looked at the post, closed the tab and removed headphonia from my bookmarks. to be at that level of understanding and dare to make reviews, man that takes some massive balls.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,379 of 1,671
Why do so many people believe that changing an opamp in a closed negative feedback circuit is going to change the sound signature? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back