Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 27, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,381 of 1,671
  Why do so many people believe that changing an opamp in a closed negative feedback circuit is going to change the sound signature? 
blink.gif

I guess for the same reason they also believe in cables having sound signatures (silver = bright, etc.). With all the myths regarding negative feedback and amplifiers, it is probably also even easier to sell the idea than that of simple pieces of wire sounding different. Additionally, when only one device is available to test multiple op amps, swapping them usually takes too long time to allow for a fast switching comparison.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,382 of 1,671

I guess for the same reason they also believe in cables having sound signatures (silver = bright, etc.). With all the myths regarding negative feedback and amplifiers, it is probably also even easier to sell the idea than that of simple pieces of wire sounding different. Additionally, when only one device is available to test multiple op amps, swapping them usually takes too long time to allow for a fast switching comparison.

When I explain the human limitations of Echoic Memory, either they ignore it or go silent. The ones that go silent usually resume their ranting after a short rest period. Occasionally someone gets the drift.
One of my favorite questions to someone that thinks a particular amp is let's say bright, is to identify the property of the amp that makes it so, especially snce the amp has a flat FR. They never can answer the question and go on with witchcraft or an angry response.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,383 of 1,671
That headphone is a technical mess as well!!!! But it costs $6000 so must sound good right?! I suppose there will be some BS about even harmonic distortion making it sound nice or something.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf

For 6 grand I would want distortion levels well below 1% a nice FR and some clean looking square waves and impulse response . You know some good old fashioned engineering!

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,384 of 1,671
That headphone is a technical mess as well!!!! But it costs $6000 so must sound good right?! I suppose there will be some BS about even harmonic distortion making it sound nice or something.

For 6 grand I would want distortion levels well below 1% a nice FR and some clean looking square waves and impulse response . You know some good old fashioned engineering!

It's the distortion and the weird FR that gives it magic
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,385 of 1,671
Lol so better put humans in space when they could survive better, much higher resolution and low light capturing.

If I squint at the sun long enough, I can see the plumes of magma shooting out of it and I can count the sunspots... until I go blind!

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #1,387 of 1,671

Heard this over the weekend.  It didn't sound bad.  It sounded like a really good open T50RP mod.  It's a fine headphone.  It has a very open sound for for an ortho and most dynamics can't touch it's visceral bass.  That can make up for it's loss of clarity, detail, imaging, and soundstage projection depending on you preferences.

It's just not $4,500-$5,500 fine.

Maybe $750...

If I was feeling generous about all the fancy accessories it come with...

Note to Abyss fanboys:  Blame the amp I heard it on.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,388 of 1,671

Heard this over the weekend.  It didn't sound bad.  It sounded like a really good open T50RP mod.  It's a fine headphone.  It has a very open sound for for an ortho and most dynamics can't touch it's visceral bass.  That can make up for it's loss of clarity, detail, imaging, and soundstage projection depending on you preferences.

It's just not $4,500-$5,500 fine.

Maybe $750...

If I was feeling generous about all the fancy accessories it come with...

Note to Abyss fanboys:  Blame the amp I heard it on.

Could've been the power cable to your Amp and/or DAC.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,389 of 1,671
Apr 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,391 of 1,671

reminded me of something ^_^.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,392 of 1,671
Dr Oz, purveyor of the original kind of snake oil...

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,394 of 1,671
Personally I think he was a tad harsh on the sloth wrangler. One bad day at the office, and it will be the wrangler being on the receiving end of some wrangling... And we all know that no amount of Prickebush Tickletush balm will soothe the mental scars.

In fact someone should send Mr Sloth Wrangler some CD mats pronto.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #1,395 of 1,671
 Lol yes obviously you don't agree with putting the burden of proof of the non believers because you don't really have any proof.

Oh my God. Is this guy thick? Jesus, and I thought lawyers were d**** with their 'burden of proof' thrown around. I now understand why they do.

Deep down, I wish there were more people like him. So people like me could make money off him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back