Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 22, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,336 of 1,671
I'm on Verizon and the server is responding. Perhaps there is a bottleneck between your server and my web host. Try again a little later.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,338 of 1,671

I have done electronic transcriptions in the past, but I found it was very difficult to match the quality of of some aspects of acoustic playback using an electrical turntable. I know that a lot of people swear that the best way to transfer acoustic disks is to mike a good phonograph well and get a little room ambience along with it. I want to try that and see if I can get closer quicker that way.

Here is an acoustic record from 1903 that I transferred electrically. This is the best I could come up with using that method... http://www.vintageip.com/xfers/libertybellmarch.mp3

Here is a youtube video of a Credenza https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpprkw2i2Us another good one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLcJcMuznk
Notice how there is almost no surface noise and a really nice balance, even through the dinky mike on the guy's camera. The only thing that electronic transcription can do better is bass. The thing that sets the Credenza apart from other phonos is the exponential horn design. At the opening the horn is about 55 square inches.

Yeah that's great quality. Will be interesting to hear what the differences between the transcriptions will be. How you planning to decide on the location of the phonograph and mic(s) in the room?

The Garrard gramophone my dad had briefly was a smaller wooden chest with a lid and a big horn speaker coming out the side. Had to wind it up with a winch. I remember thinking as a kid at the time how loud it was sat right next to it - no volume control. Also the needle-head mechanism had a really satisfying weight to them. Googled the needles and wow they're still selling them, in those small metal tins no less! 

Also that Credenza must weight a tonne
eek.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #1,339 of 1,671
Hey StanD, I like the way you think! I mean, after all that is why the whole Portable DAC scene came about, to enhance your listening expereience on almost any device. Case in point; The E18 FiiO is designed to be compatible with all players, NOT JUST FIIO's. Those buttons on the side? They are even Andriod specific, they work in no other application. Pherpaps FiiO was just showing it's loyalty to all their fans that couldnt use their Andriod device, it was only the iphone's 30-pin connecter that allowed us to by-pass the phones internal amp (saves power life as well), and allow us to takes take our audio sgnal straight from the phones internatal DAC itself. And no worries people, The E18 is amazingly versitle.
Hi Castleofarg, I have to side with Joe Bloggs on this one. You'd simply be running a minor test, that could solve all your problems in a minute. To switch your entire library is a time consuming effort, though I do applaud your thoughts:) (Joe has given you a key here) This is a perfect test, but please note, they should sound slightly different, but have the same smooth signature all the way up the line, If you hear this warbbling, well theres your problem. lol, Hope this helped

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #1,340 of 1,671
Hey StanD, I like the way you think! I mean, after all that is why the whole Portable DAC scene came about, to enhance your listening expereience on almost any device. Case in point; The E18 FiiO is designed to be compatible with all players, NOT JUST FIIO's. Those buttons on the side? They are even Andriod specific, they work in no other application. Pherpaps FiiO was just showing it's loyalty to all their fans that couldnt use their Andriod device, it was only the iphone's 30-pin connecter that allowed us to by-pass the phones internal amp (saves power life as well), and allow us to takes take our audio sgnal straight from the phones internatal DAC itself. And no worries people, The E18 is amazingly versitle.
:

The newer Lightning CCK allows one to bypass the internal DAC as well, not a LOD from the internal DAC. In my bag of tricks is an iPod Touch 5G which works perfectly with my FiiO E18. The 5G happens to have a very good internal DAC and Amp, only that if one needs more power to drive a Planar or voltage swing for a high impedance can, it may fall short. Then again I use such headphones at home on a desktop kit. Yet somehow I manage to use the E18 on the road or at the office. So do you really listen at 150 dB? 
eek.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,341 of 1,671
Guys Ive found a new home here in Science! Never going back to the place where power cables make differences, after I had some discussion going in the Pono thread (stupid from me to even post there). I dont have the experience with expensive stuff SO anything about physics I say is false because I never heard golden ears' DAPs and stuff. What ever.

Is it so strange to let people know that spending another $$ on a $$ audio player for a balanced cable (-or even on the player itself if they already HAVE a good DAP-) because the normal SQ is up par with an iphone but with BALANCED CABLES it makes a night and day difference, is actually nonsense? To help a guy who said he tested Pono and iPhone (and iPod and Sansa Clip) next to each other for some time and heard no difference and became snowed in because he is wrong, for he is right??

It's like everyone's blind and has the need to spend more and more because others say you HAVE TO spend more to get that little bit (or night and day) extra SQ, for only a few hundreds of extra cash?

''You should buy this device because wow never heard such a thing. OK now you have it you need to upgrade it because as is, the player is nothing special but after that upgrade... Oh now you have upgraded, there's another player/amp/cable that is much better, get one!''

I respect @castleofargh for the patience he has with those people.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,342 of 1,671
To some people sound quality isn't really the goal, even if they say it is. Knowing that they spent a lot of money for the best sound quality is better than having the best sound quality for very little money. That shows you what the real goal is. It's consumerism and conspicuous consumption.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,343 of 1,671
Suffice to say discovering sound science was an eye opener to me

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,347 of 1,671
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

For the time I daily looked in those forums Ive seen poor students like me being recommended to buy stuff they dont need because of the night and day differences. Back then I believed them, but now i can get really mad. It is so unfair, first recommending people stuff they dont need and then that gear actually does not make that much of a difference, if at all. And then recommending another headphone or preferably DAP/DAC/amp for being able to hear the pure golden SQ only they hear.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,348 of 1,671
  Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

For the time I daily looked in those forums Ive seen poor students like me being recommended to buy stuff they dont need because of the night and day differences. Back then I believed them, but now i can get really mad. It is so unfair, first recommending people stuff they dont need and then that gear actually does not make that much of a difference, if at all. And then recommending another headphone or preferably DAP/DAC/amp for being able to hear the pure golden SQ only they hear.

They purchase their importance, unfortunately all too often they use other people's money.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,349 of 1,671
Welcome to the ghetto.

It's more like banishment on a desert island. I was here when the Sound Science forum was created. It was specifically created to get those of us who talked about measurements and controlled listening tests out of the cable forum. Someone didn't like cables and tweaks being held to objective standards and decided that the best way to protect the sacred cow was to create a banishment group which would be the only place in Head-Fi where the dreaded letters DBT could be uttered. Then they banned DBT from the rest of the site. That made me considerably less interested in the rest of the site with one fell swoop. I like it here in Sound Science though, I think we have a good group of people here for the most part.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,350 of 1,671

It's more like banishment on a desert island. I was here when the Sound Science forum was created. It was specifically created to get those of us who talked about measurements and controlled listening tests out of the cable forum. Someone didn't like cables and tweaks being held to objective standards and decided that the best way to protect the sacred cow was to create a banishment group which would be the only place in Head-Fi where the dreaded letters DBT could be uttered. Then they banned DBT from the rest of the site. That made me considerably less interested in the rest of the site with one fell swoop. I like it here in Sound Science though, I think we have a good group of people here for the most part.

It feels like that, because we're not allowed to talk about science in other forums, because of the debates? It feels more like protecting people than discussing because that's my main reason I sometimes posted over there (protecting that is). Or is it the sponsors that otherwise stop sponsoring this site... I have no clue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back