Skeptical of Recent Portapro Purchase (Legit?)
Sep 2, 2011 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ElkBit

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a pair of PortaPro headphones on eBay for $25. I was expecting the standard color headphones, but instead I got a black pair like this. I'm not sure if these are legitimate or if they are standard eBay fakes. The seller claimed they were authentic and his feedback score was in the 99% so I went ahead and believe him. They came in this packaging: 

I had heard that packaging for Portapros change over time.

I had heard the 25th anniversary issue has a braided cloth cable, which mine seem to have as well as a trash can-tag at the end of the cable. 

If anyone needs more hints then I'd be glad to share it with them.

Thanks for any help!

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 16
Best Buy sells black Portapros, sounds to me like you got a pair of those.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Best Buy sold 25th anniversary issue PortaPros. I'm certain these aren't it, unless Best Buy sells regular edition black PortaPros.

They do.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 16
I just wanted to make sure I got what I ordered. Doing some more research, it appears I got the 'Black Beauty' edition, but the box never advertised it as such. Also, I notice the braided cable on mine are all black while those are black with white dots. Sorry if I sound paranoid.

Quote:
If you can get your hands on a multimeter that would be helpful. The counterfeit "portapro" are usually 32ohm instead of 64ohms.

I do not have one, but I will try to find one at work as we have a lot of audio equipment. Thank you for the advice.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 16
You could check the SN on the back with Koss and see if they can match it to what was shipped.  This way you can know you have at least a legit container.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 16
The packaging does look rather dodgy and low quality, which is a little troubling.... All ordinary (ie. non 25th anniv. edition) Porta Pros that I have ever seen came in much nicer, sleek packaging that looks like this (but in various colors)

As a matter of fact, all other Koss headphones that I have seen came in similar style packaging, fe. the UR20 and UR40.

The box you got looks really old fashioned, like something from the 90s...

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
You could check the SN on the back with Koss and see if they can match it to what was shipped.  This way you can know you have at least a legit container.

I can't seem to find it. I've looked online to locate it, but I doubt they have a serial number (which sounds absurd).

Quote:
The packaging does look rather dodgy and low quality, which is a little troubling.... All ordinary (ie. non 25th anniv. edition) Porta Pros that I have ever seen came in much nicer, sleek packaging that looks like this (but in various colors)

As a matter of fact, all other Koss headphones that I have seen came in similar style packaging, fe. the UR20 and UR40.

The box you got looks really old fashioned, like something from the 90s...

That's one thing I was worried about as well. I think whatever brand I got (Black Beauty?) are foreign. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 16
I tested them using a multimeter as well as a couple of other headphones (some cheap Koss headphones and my MDR 7506). I didn't have much experience with a multimeter, but all I did was stick the prongs on the headphone jack and got that the Portapros measured ~60Ω, the MDRs were ~75 and the cheap phones were ~30. I'm not too certain I used the multimeter correctly, but these results show promise. At this point I'm just going to say they are legitimate (albeit not very common) headphones.

I want to thank everyone in this forum for their help! I think I'll stick around.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 16
I bought a pair exactly like those, same all black design and packaging, from a local Bestbuy.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 16
koss is constantly changing the packaging and cable. I still have an portapro with a L shaped plug which I prefer. Definitely real, chinese knock off artist don't believe that average consumer  have multimeters. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 16
I have seen a couple of guys with the same model as you. They are probably original. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back