Size Matters - Earpad hole measurements for Over-ear Headphones....
Mar 31, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #46 of 147
Anyone get the chance to measure the new Momentum M2s? My ears had all kinds of issues with the M100s w/XL pads (my helix would jam between the driver and pad) and I'd like to know whether the M2s have done a better job.

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #47 of 147
I haven't measured the M2s, but they are significantly smaller than M100 XL pads. Urbanite XL has bigger pads, but I'm not sure if they are larger than the M100 XL. However, you can get the thick leatherette Brainwavz HM5 pads for the Urbanite XL. I haven't tried the combo yet, but I intend to at some point.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #49 of 147
  Bummer. Looks like it's earpad 'phones for on-the-go from now on.

you shld just try them out in store. best buy should have them in stock. i personally found the m100s to have horrible comfort. most every other headphone will be more comfy.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #51 of 147
The M2s, while smaller, are also deeper than the XL pads were. But, there's really no way for me to determine what the long-term feeling for them would be until I spend some time with them. But, yeah, a depth measurement for them is probably more important than the height.

Edit: This also doesn't factor-in that the M2s pivot far more than the M-100s, leaving a bit more room to work with for those of us Dumbo ears. :)

May 4, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #53 of 147
Contributing.

Add another 5mm to the depth measurement, for the end of my ruler.
rolleyes.gif

Also; even though the M2 pads are deeper than the X2, you have to take into account that the X2 pads are more rigid, and don't compress on-the-head as much as the M2 pads.

In reality, both ear pads are the same depth. The outside of my ears only just touch the drivers on both the M2 and X2.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #54 of 147
All,

I've taken the liberty of adding all these measurements (plus my own) to a spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gXPtdjE2YXnJ-DlhP7_Q07xbD38akd5rRar4QttfeWE/edit?usp=sharing

I will continue to update the spreadsheet as more measurements come in.

Hope someone finds this of help. :)

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #55 of 147
Just got the brand new Brainwavz Angled (pleather version) and Hybrid (pleather outside, velour at contact points, perforated pleather inside). Both have the same inner heightas the normal XL pleather and velour pads. 70mm tall, 47mm wide, 26mm deep (angled go deeper and shallower, but haven't measured the depths). The angled pads are 40mm wide inside instead of 47.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #56 of 147
Contributing:

Audio Technica ATH-AD1000X

Inner width:  53 mm
Inner height:  53 mm
Depth (from earpad surface to drivers):  16 mm

The openings are round and a little too small for my ears unfortunately.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #58 of 147
Wish more companies would learn from Sennheiser and Brainwavz and provide bigger earpad holes for us monsters.

I just updated the Basshead.Club Earpad Measurement page with AudioQuest Nighthawk (pretty large and ear shaped--my ears touch a little, but they're still quite comfortable), STAX SR-007, Lawton Angle, and Brainwavz Angled pads (and Hybrid/Velour, but those are the same as the Pleather).

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #59 of 147
Can anybody do a measurement of the Alpha Dog pads? Seems like a lot of people swap HiFiMan stock pads for those. 

https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #60 of 147
  Can anybody do a measurement of the Alpha Dog pads? Seems like a lot of people swap HiFiMan stock pads for those. 

https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/

inner diameter is a square measuring 2in x 2in outer dimensions are approximately 3.75in width by 4in height. depth is about 1in on the shallow side to 1.75in on the deep side.

hope this was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back