Size Matters - Earpad hole measurements for Over-ear Headphones....
Feb 13, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #33 of 147
  Wanna give some contribution ^^

V-Moda M100 (all inner) with XL earpads:

Height: 68mm
Width: 45mm

Too bad I threw away the stock earpads but base on the advertisement from V-Moda that the XL earpad is 2cm taller than the stock ones, I believe the stock earpad would be around 50mm

stock earpad depth for the V-Moda M100 was about 14mm when I measured it. I only remember this number because of the excruciating pain I had with the shallow earcups & it was the reason I began searching for nicer headphones & got addicted to this hobby! lol

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #34 of 147
I'm a big dude with a big head and long ears (~68mm tall). I can never find friggin' headphones, and I love this thread big time. I always end up with Sennheisers because they usually have tall earpads. Wish we could get the OP to edit the first post to compile all the data. Maybe I'll take some time and make a Google sheet.

Sennheiser HD8 DJ
Height (Inner): ~57mm
Width (Inner): ~44mm

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
Height (Inner): ~76mm
Width (Inner): ~50mm

Sennheiser HD 555/598/650
Height (Inner): ~70mm
Width (Inner): ~41mm

Just ordered V-Moda M100 with XL pads to see if I enjoy them for electronic music. I love how the HD8 DJ sounds, but I'm not sure whether I can stretch the height of the cup enough to fit my ears in there.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #35 of 147
Got in the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 today. Not sure how the person earlier in the thread took measurements, but they seemed inaccurate.

V-Moda Crossfade M-100 w/ XL Pads
Height (Inner): ~64mm
Width (Inner): ~45mm
Depth: ~20-21mm

V-Moda Crossfade M-100 w/ Stock Pads
Height (Inner): ~57mm
Width (Inner): ~38mm
Depth: ~15-16mm

Measurement taken at the dead center in the thickest part of the inner ear cup. If you measure at the stitch, I can see where 68mm comes from.

I'm going to try to stretch the XL pads because I really enjoy the sound of these headphones. Sad that the 68mm height was incorrect, but maybe it does stretch with use.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #36 of 147
Sennheiser PXC 450
Height (Inner): ~76mm
Width (Inner): ~50mm

Brainwavz HM5 - Thick pleather earpad only. I don't actually own the headphone, just the pad.
Tied for most comfortable earpad I've with the Sennheiser PXC 450, as well as the second largest next to the same (deeper, but not as tall/wide). It also fits on lots of other headphones, including the Beyerdynamic DT-770/880/990, and is ~$20.
Width (Inner): ~47mm
Depth: ~26mm

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro - 32 Ohm w/ Pleather
Height (Inner): ~58mm
Width (Inner): ~58mm
Depth: ~22mm

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #37 of 147

Brainwavz HM5 - Thick pleather earpad only. I don't actually own the headphone, just the pad.
Tied for most comfortable earpad I've with the Sennheiser PXC 450, as well as the second largest next to the same (deeper, but not as tall/wide). It also fits on lots of other headphones, including the Beyerdynamic DT-770/880/990, and is ~$20.
Width (Inner): ~47mm
Depth: ~26mm

Would you recommend the dt990 with the brainwavz pads? I too have larger ears and they slightly touch the drivers and the top and bottom of the stock 990 pads which is surprisingly more annoying than i thought it would be. I keep searching for velour pads that are slightly bigger and deeper but holy crap there are almost none out there, at least from what i've found. I just want big ear pads for my amazing headphones! is that too much to ask!!! Literally a couple of mm's in inside diameter and depth would be amazing.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #38 of 147
The Brainwavz M5 pleather are super comfortable. I believe the velour version is about the same, but requires a little more effort to stretch over Beyerdynamics. That said, stretching the leatherette over them was very easy, so I doubt the velour would be tough.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #39 of 147
  Would you recommend the dt990 with the brainwavz pads? I too have larger ears and they slightly touch the drivers and the top and bottom of the stock 990 pads which is surprisingly more annoying than i thought it would be. I keep searching for velour pads that are slightly bigger and deeper but holy crap there are almost none out there, at least from what i've found. I just want big ear pads for my amazing headphones! is that too much to ask!!! Literally a couple of mm's in inside diameter and depth would be amazing.

No. The Brainwavz are smaller in width and depth.There's no bigger alternative for DT990 velour pads.
To gain more depth, you can stick something onder the pads like a ring of foam, a cable, kitchen paper, cotton or another pad raiser.
But the drivers further away from the ear will slightly alter the sound.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 147

No. The Brainwavz are smaller in width and depth.There's no bigger alternative for DT990 velour pads.
To gain more depth, you can stick something onder the pads like a ring of foam, a cable, kitchen paper, cotton or another pad raiser.
But the drivers further away from the ear will slightly alter the sound.

That is not true. The Brainwavz are taller by a good 10mm, as well as deeper. The DT990/880/770 all have the same size pads, and I can't fit my ears in them due to height. With the Brainwavz PLEATHER pad (I don't know the dimensions of the velour), my 68mm tall ear fits.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #42 of 147

That is not true. The Brainwavz are taller by a good 10mm, as well as deeper. The DT990/880/770 all have the same size pads, and I can't fit my ears in them due to height. With the Brainwavz PLEATHER pad (I don't know the dimensions of the velour), my 68mm tall ear fits.

I suppose you have the new memory foam pads. I have the original HM5 pads, and they are rather shallow.
They should've give the new pads a new name as well to avoid this kind of confusion.

And for my odd shaped ears the width is as much important as height. The wider the better.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #43 of 147
Sennheiser G4me Zero
Height (Inner): ~76mm (3 in)
Width (Inner): ~45mm (1.75 in)
Depth: ~25mm (1 in)

If you need headphones that isolate well but still perform well for gaming and music, the G4me Zero is absolutely excellent. They're comfortable as heck with earpads (interior) measuring ~76mm (3 in) tall, ~45mm wide (1.75 in), and ~25mm (1 in) deep. The earpads are also thicker on the bottom than the top, conforming better to your face than most pads.

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #44 of 147
Sennheiser HD800:

Height (inner): ~82mm
Width: (inner): ~62mm
Depth (~22mm-32mm)

Just for a fun comparison. Pretty huge. Note that there is even more space beneath the earpads. My ears aren't touching anything inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back