size comparison between M50/ESW9A/MS400?
Nov 17, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 26
I don't think the ES series are meant to fit ears inside them... If your ears can fit in, you are an exception of 1% of the population. They are definitely supposed to go on your ear. The M50 is much bigger.

I also prefer the sound of the ES/W series

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 26
The esw9 are on-ear but they are very comfortable. I really love the feel of the leather on my ears. Specially now that it is turning cold.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #19 of 26
I've owned all three (and only kept the MS400).

M50: biggest, fully circumaural, punchy sound, cups fold inwards, longest beefiest cord of the three (not good for portablity), cheap pouch
ESW9a: smallest cups, supraaural, characteristic Audio Technica airier sound, good staging, most refined of the bunch, folds flat, nice pouch
MS 400: halfway between supra/circumaural, folds flat and collapses, comes with hard carrying case, deep bass, forward mids, relaxed sound

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #20 of 26
I'm just curious, circumaural are suppose to fit the whole ear inside the ear pads right?  So if my my ear doesn't then most likely I have really big ears?

I guess that is why I don't mind supra-aural because either way my ears doesn't go inside.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #21 of 26
Yes, circumaural are supposed to fit around the ears. Obviously, if you have large ears then it might still not work for you. Cans like the M50 are large but have oval earpads; large round earpads (like on the Beyers or Ultrasones) might work better. Another possibility is to get some cans which have very deep earpads, so then you can actually slip your ears inside the pad.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #22 of 26

Ok, I was able to give a few hours of listen to various music A/B with ESW9 and M50.  I am not good with describing music... I can't tell you if there is a drop off below * khz or what not... but I will try to describe how it sounds to me.

Listening environment.

FiiO e7/e9 combo
Music file, 256kbps amazon download to lossless ripped from CD.
Music
Beyonce - I am... Sasha Fierce
Rhianna - Good Girl Gone Bad_Reloaded
Vocaloids - various
Girls Generation - various
Various Chinese songs (more ballad type)

I think in general, if you like songs that are driven by rhytmic bass, the M50 is definitely better.  It is more energetic and the constant bass rhythm and the interaction and other instrument create separation and energy.  It sounds electronic, synthesized... much more club/dance feel.  

For Rhianna, I A/B Umbrella many times, it is much more fun listening with the M50.  Most of the sounds from Girl's Generation and Vocaloid stuff also sound better with M50. Strong bass, I feel like I am implored to move with the rhythm.  Vocals however are less impressive.  Details are there, but definitely take a back seat to the bass and feel rather unemotional.

ESW9 feels like a complete opposite to M50.  If you want to hear nice vocal, this is definitely the headphone of choice between the two.  The mids are sweet and emotional. Everything is very musical, but the rhythm has to be driven by the vocal and not the bass beats.  I must've listen to Beyonce's Single Ladies 5 times, each time I prefer ESW9.  I guess because she also oh oh oh the rhythm and I much prefer listenting to that the had that part purely carried by the bass.  The Chinese Ballad type song and also slower vocal japanese songs are almost unversally sound better on the ESW9.  I don't know how to describe the mid/vocal on the esw9... it is sweet, buttery and utterly enjoyable.  It just isn't a good fit for electronic/dance music.  Example of songs I enjoy on ESW9 is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdLg-vLtiu0

I think for casual/fatigue free listening. I would think ESW9 would be choice. It is more colored, but more musical and bring things together better imo.  The M50 just seem to match the electronic sound that it is a bit too in your face when a new instrument is introduced.  But of course, I think the type of music that should be listened to on these 2 phones are completely different.  Listenting to ballad/vocal songs on M50 I feel there is a distinct lack of emotion. All the technical parts are there, but nothing.

Anyway, I am not good at describing music. I am not a music major nor do I play any instrument... hell, I barely passed Music Appreciation back in college :)  Feel free to ask for any clarification tho, I will try my best to describe the differences in these 2 headphone.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #23 of 26
Hey good short review.  The fact that you had a list of song give me a better feel of what the esw9 would sound like.  Base on you description, the esw9 is not exactly what I was hoping for.  It seem like the bass might lack speed.

Can you tell me how does the bass compare to one and another? I'm assuming the M50 bass probable goes deeper and has more impact, am I right to assume?

overall, does the esw9 detail better, worst, or equal to the M50?

I don't have any type of amp, so I am wondering if your amp improve the sound quality of both the M50 and esw9.  the E7/E9 improve little or a decent amount?

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #24 of 26

I think ears are the most ugly part of the human body... Seriously... They look stupid >_<

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #25 of 26
Can you tell me how does the bass compare to one and another? I'm assuming the M50 bass probable goes deeper and has more impact, am I right to assume?

I own the M50 but not the ESW9. The M50 is notable for its deep bass extension and impact. It was the first thing that I noticed when using the M50 for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back