size comparison between M50/ESW9A/MS400?
Nov 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a portable/pseudo-portable, circumaural, and comfortable headphone as my next purchase. The three I've looked at mostly have been - the Audiotechnica M50 (mostly for the value proposition), AT ESW9A, and the Phiaton MS400. Can anyone with two of these headphones, or have worn at least two of these headphones, comment on how big they all are? The M50s are a bit big and I'm not sure if they'll be good for portable use, but I've never seen the ESW9A or the MS400s so I have no idea how they compare size-wise. Thanks in advance.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 26

Quote:

Don't have MS400, but that should be approximately the same size as the M50

Here is M50 and ESW9

Okay so the ESW9a is significantly smaller. Are they still circumaural? For some reason I've found this info extremely difficult to find... some say that they're supraaural, others have said they're just barely circumaural... from the looks of it they are indeed supraaural but you can never really tell for sure from pictures...

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 26
Aflac,

I just want to make a note for you that the M50 does fold inward toward the headband making it more compact.  Compare to other full size headphone they are actually quite small.  They also come with a bag to help you lug them around and the built is pretty good.  For portability, it just depends on you.  I wouldn't say they are too large to carry around, but are larger than supra-aural type.

Mikop,

care to share the sound difference between the two? (M50 vs. esw9a) I'm interested in the esw9a and a comparison between the M50 are hard to find.  I only found 1 thread, but not too informative. Does the esw9a sounds better or worst?

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 26
you just made my day lol.  I can't wait to hear more from you.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 26
mikop, thanks for sharing the pictures. I imagined the esw9 would be a bit bigger. Smaller than I thought.

Look forward to your comparison. Which would you prefer for casual/fatigue free listening? I do like the m50 for analytical listening.
dt880smile.png

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 26
this thread is getting interesting.  the more comment the better.

Trysaeder, look at the quarter, your ear's fit in that?
blink.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
Hah I don't know what a quarter looks like.

The PX100 can almost cover my ears. Add another 2-8 millimetres to certain places and you give me a circumaural can.

This makes me sad. I must have monkey ears because my ears lobs stick outside of the earpad, not the inner rim but the out rim of the ear pad on the M50.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back