Singxer SU-1 Owners
May 16, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #796 of 869
I thought I heard a difference between the two but couldn't compare in rapid succession enough to quantify the difference, tho not looking back for me. You could try & see what you find.

Also any opinions on sonic differences with dip switch settings?
I am pretty sure the DIP switches are only for changing the pinout for the i2s output through HDMI connection....

May 16, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #798 of 869
I am pretty sure the DIP switches are only for changing the pinout for the i2s output through HDMI connection....
Right....AFAIK there is only one correct setting for a given DAC.

May 27, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #799 of 869
Is there a way to bypass the need for a computer to connect as the USB source for the Singxer and use something like a Raspberry Pi with Volumio?

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #801 of 869
Hey all,

I wanted to make a catch all for my specific issue in case anyone else in the future runs into the same issue and is googling to find an answer.

I bought a Singxer SU-2 and I cant get it to play DSD 1024 or PCM greater than 384kHz. My computer is an i9 9900k with a 2070 Super, 32 GB DDR4, 1.5 TB of gen 4 SSDs. I use HQPlayer to oversample my music to DSD 1024 and 1.536mhz PCM rates.

I would easily oversample to these numbers when I go USB from my windows 10 computer to my Holo Audio Spring 2 DAC. When I added the Singxer SU2 to the chain I get severe distortion and static on rates above DSD 512 and 384kHz PCM.

The chain is Windows 10 PC > USB > Singxer SU2 > HDMI > Holo Audio Spring 2 DAC.

I downloaded every single version of the Singxer and Holo Audio drivers to try to see if they worked. Still had the same problem. I contacted Singxer and Tim at kitsune and they both took me through extensive troubleshooting trees. I copied Tims HQPlayer setup step by step, I used the drivers he was using, set my windows 10 settings his way. I set the switches on the bottom to what Singxer and Tim told me to do for the Holo Audio Spring 2 DAC. The next troubleshooting was to try a bunch of different hdmi cables and usb cables. I guess the usb and hdmi cables should be under 1m and 0.5m respectively to allow proper signal transfer. Tim was telling me that he tried 5 different hdmi and usb combinations on his Holo Audio Spring 2 and 2 of them created the static and distrotion im experiencing. Not a mathematician but those 40% odds are way too high! How are more people not reporting this problem?? I spent $300 on different hdmi cables and usb cables of the proper length. Generic ones laying around the house, Amazon brand, Blue Jeans Cables brand, Wireworld brand, Audioquest. Cables from $3 to $80. I hate to admit i was getting this desperate to make it work!!

My final cables came into today and I plugged them in, turned on my setup and prayed to the headfi gods. I clicked play and boom... an unfortunate duo of noise ive heard one too many times. Static and its lovely partner distortion filled my ears.

Im truly lost at this point. I spent $800 on a SU-2, and $300 on usb cables. I just wanted to run my setup through i2s instead of usb, but now im left without it and a larger hole in my wallet.

Im very despreate at this point and looking for any advice on things to do or try.

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to clarify on everything!

Cheers,

Jonathan
@pichu I use a I2S connection from my Singxer SU-1 to Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC and have had a similar experience using HQ POlayer up-sampling to high rate DSD. The only thing I can offer is that choice of HQ Player modulator and filter may affect results. I can up-sample all PCM to DSD256 using any modulator/ filter combination with my humble i7, GTX1060 / CUDA offload. To output DSD512 I have to select less cpu / gpu intensive modulator / filter. Excellent guidance is available from the HQ Player developer on another forum, you are likely aware of it but PM me if you need the URL.

I realize the HQ Player settings shouldn't matter if you can run DSD1024 successfully from USB but not I2S, but worth a try. Stranger things have happened. Good luck!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #802 of 869
@pichu I use a I2S connection from my Singxer SU-1 to Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC and have had a similar experience using HQ POlayer up-sampling to high rate DSD. The only thing I can offer is that choice of HQ Player modulator and filter may affect results. I can up-sample all PCM to DSD256 using any modulator/ filter combination with my humble i7, GTX1060 / CUDA offload. To output DSD512 I have to select less cpu / gpu intensive modulator / filter. Excellent guidance is available from the HQ Player developer on another forum, you are likely aware of it but PM me if you need the URL.

I realize the HQ Player settings shouldn't matter if you can run DSD1024 successfully from USB but not I2S, but worth a try. Stranger things have happened. Good luck!

Yeah, the thing that throws me off is it works completely fine straight USB to my Holo Audio Spring 2 DAC. Right now I have the Singxer SU2 in the chain but im running , ASDM7EC, ext2, DSD 256 as of right now. ASDM7EC is really hard to run. With an i9 9900k and CUDA, you can only do DSD 256. So with that said, I guess I found a way to max out without feeling like im missing out on dsd 1024. Its not the end of the world, but id like the product to work correctly you know? Not being able to figure it out and falling on trying a bunch of cables doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: Fixed awhile ago was a driver issue! Just had to update to the latest ones that came out from Singxer that are posted on Kitsune Audios Website

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #803 of 869
For me it's Topping D10(only because of bit perfect and true to life speed via coax out) -> U16 -> SU2 -> Amanero. (strictly for R2R11)
Midrange is where the heart is, I don't care about the rest.
Why the Topping is no1? it lacks everything from sound stage to dynamics, less is more!, but the speed is unbelievable! the performance is happening and it's happening right now! only via coax out (using 30cm QED coax).

Funny thing, Gustard U12 blows them all.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #806 of 869
My Singxer SU-1 has only AC input. Did the newer ones have a 5v input? Mine was one of the first few hundred made.
So you guys like the Gustard U12 better than U16... what do you mean by the U16 is buggy? Interesting, the U12 is only a fraction of the cost as the SU-1 and it uses an AC input, nonetheless.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #807 of 869
A guy at Kitsune Audio got back to me, saying that the 5v input is an easy self-install mod kit, but he said it doesn't make much of a difference and they also have something called KTE mods which makes a bigger difference, and I'm waiting to hear what this entails and whether it's for the SU-1 or not.

I just got my first CD transport, a very affordable new Teac CD player and I'm noticing modestly improved detail / bass definition from this via Toslink optical into my DAC than vs. with the SU-1 from my laptop using BNC output. Makes me question the prowess of the SU-1 a bit (mine is one of the early first-gen units from late 2016). So now I'm trying to decide between the SU-1 DC power supply mod or any KTE mod, vs. the Gustard U12 or another DDC.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #808 of 869
I would take almost anything over the SU2, the SU2 via headphones is nice but via speakers not. The U12 is more organic and musical while the U16 is more analytical yet also musical.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #809 of 869
A guy at Kitsune Audio got back to me, saying that the 5v input is an easy self-install mod kit, but he said it doesn't make much of a difference and they also have something called KTE mods which makes a bigger difference, and I'm waiting to hear what this entails and whether it's for the SU-1 or not.

I just got my first CD transport, a very affordable new Teac CD player and I'm noticing modestly improved detail / bass definition from this via Toslink optical into my DAC than vs. with the SU-1 from my laptop using BNC output. Makes me question the prowess of the SU-1 a bit (mine is one of the early first-gen units from late 2016). So now I'm trying to decide between the SU-1 DC power supply mod or any KTE mod, vs. the Gustard U12 or another DDC.
KTE mod also replaces some capacitors. 5V mod is really easy, just place it and screw it in. If you have a good power supply it can make a difference, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
The Teac CD player might simply be a good transport.

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #810 of 869
In my case, the simple 5V mod made a huge difference, powering with an Uptone LPS1 or standard LPS fed with mains regenerator (and lately I find extra LT3045 regulation seems to stabilize things a bit more). Without the mod, the SU-1 was un-listenable (3 weeks break in), even with a mains power regenerator - the SU-1 here was very pronounced and grainy in the highs.

If the Kitstune mod is close to the cost of a U-16, you may want to consider a U-16 and a 5V Su-1 and see which you prefer (if you are lucky enough to get the U16 working ..jejejejeje). The 5v mod requires an external 5v power supply and DC cable. The cheapest I could recommend would be this (I think some folks use battery packs also..)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-Linear...330448?hash=item41e5167cd0:g:cfcAAOSwwitejE7B

I have had 3 U16's, a modded U12, a few other DDC's, and have what I think is the first sold SU-1 from Kitstune.
I think the 5V mod SU-1 can match very well with warmer DAC's. I am using it now with my R2R11, but quite an elaborate computer setup feeding it.

U16 can be amazing when working well, especially with an external 10M clock.

I suggest to try something other than the laptop, because a lack of detail / bass definition to me is not a typical SU-1 trait (but I have always used i2s...).

Thanks for the info about the CD transport, some years ago I had a Jolida player that was excellent as a transport (and was better than my laptop until I loaded Windows Server core and AO)... but the convenience of computer audio is amazing - and it's kind of fun being in the thick of this new computer audio technology stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back