Singxer SU-1 Owners
Jun 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #812 of 869
In my case, the simple 5V mod made a huge difference, powering with an Uptone LPS1 or standard LPS fed with mains regenerator (and lately I find extra LT3045 regulation seems to stabilize things a bit more). Without the mod, the SU-1 was un-listenable (3 weeks break in), even with a mains power regenerator - the SU-1 here was very pronounced and grainy in the highs.

If the Kitstune mod is close to the cost of a U-16, you may want to consider a U-16 and a 5V Su-1 and see which you prefer (if you are lucky enough to get the U16 working ..jejejejeje). The 5v mod requires an external 5v power supply and DC cable. The cheapest I could recommend would be this (I think some folks use battery packs also..)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-Linear...330448?hash=item41e5167cd0:g:cfcAAOSwwitejE7B

I have had 3 U16's, a modded U12, a few other DDC's, and have what I think is the first sold SU-1 from Kitstune.
I think the 5V mod SU-1 can match very well with warmer DAC's. I am using it now with my R2R11, but quite an elaborate computer setup feeding it.

U16 can be amazing when working well, especially with an external 10M clock.

I suggest to try something other than the laptop, because a lack of detail / bass definition to me is not a typical SU-1 trait (but I have always used i2s...).

Thanks for the info about the CD transport, some years ago I had a Jolida player that was excellent as a transport (and was better than my laptop until I loaded Windows Server core and AO)... but the convenience of computer audio is amazing - and it's kind of fun being in the thick of this new computer audio technology stuff...

Any idea how to use xmos control software on windows 10 with the U12? I happen to only be able to use the oldest drivers without the controller.

PS: driver 4.13 works fine but sadly not the xmos controller I'm used to such as controlling latency and buffer.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #813 of 869
In my case, the simple 5V mod made a huge difference, powering with an Uptone LPS1 or standard LPS fed with mains regenerator (and lately I find extra LT3045 regulation seems to stabilize things a bit more). Without the mod, the SU-1 was un-listenable (3 weeks break in), even with a mains power regenerator - the SU-1 here was very pronounced and grainy in the highs.
Of course expect this is dependent on entire chain, as I have not had that experience at all with my gear. I also prefer the I2S interface as my main reason for using a DDC, perhaps with USB results would have been less favorable for me but I am quite pleased with SU-1.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #814 of 869

If the Kitstune mod is close to the cost of a U-16, you may want to consider a U-16 and a 5V Su-1 and see which you prefer (if you are lucky enough to get the U16 working ..jejejejeje). The 5v mod requires an external 5v power supply and DC cable. The cheapest I could recommend would be this (I think some folks use battery packs also..)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-Linear...330448?hash=item41e5167cd0:g:cfcAAOSwwitejE7B

I have had 3 U16's, a modded U12, a few other DDC's, and have what I think is the first sold SU-1 from Kitstune.
I think the 5V mod SU-1 can match very well with warmer DAC's. I am using it now with my R2R11, but quite an elaborate computer setup feeding it.

U16 can be amazing when working well, especially with an external 10M clock.

I suggest to try something other than the laptop, because a lack of detail / bass definition to me is not a typical SU-1 trait (but I have always used i2s...).

Thanks for the info about the CD transport, some years ago I had a Jolida player that was excellent as a transport (and was better than my laptop until I loaded Windows Server core and AO)... but the convenience of computer audio is amazing - and it's kind of fun being in the thick of this new computer audio technology stuff...
Interesting, thanks. For me I already have what is in all likelihood the best cost/performance ratio DC LPS called ISO-PS from Ciunas Audio that provides DC power directly from a supercapacitor which is said to be audibly better than through a voltage regulator. I also have one of the early first-gen SU-1's so I wonder if the DC mod with this decent LPS would likely match the U16. I have a possible lead on a bug-free U16 used.

Wow, why did you have three U16's were they all buggy? And you said the 5V mod can match very well with warmer DAC - does this mean it's a bright signature?

The seller also has an external 10M clock. Would you mind to say what kind of improvement or difference this makes?

When I have time I'll also look into your idea of Windows Server Core and AO. Does this require a change of operating system and any costs? Thanks!

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #815 of 869
Interesting, thanks. For me I already have what is in all likelihood the best cost/performance ratio DC LPS called ISO-PS from Ciunas Audio that provides DC power directly from a supercapacitor which is said to be audibly better than through a voltage regulator. I also have one of the early first-gen SU-1's so I wonder if the DC mod with this decent LPS would likely match the U16. I have a possible lead on a bug-free U16 used.

Wow, why did you have three U16's were they all buggy? And you said the 5V mod can match very well with warmer DAC - does this mean it's a bright signature?

The seller also has an external 10M clock. Would you mind to say what kind of improvement or difference this makes?

When I have time I'll also look into your idea of Windows Server Core and AO. Does this require a change of operating system and any costs? Thanks!
Yep - the Cuinas Audio guy has been doing power supply and DAC stuff since I remember starting in computer audio - I would trust that is a great power supply. I was going to order a Cuinas but already have a few LPS-1's and a LPS1.2 so put that Cuinas on hold until the world economy stabilizes a bit...

I have 2 systems, and at one time both had U16's with various DAC's, then I sold one U16, regretted that and bought another.. anyway, they all worked, but were somewhat limited in sample rates allowed. I was using regularly either native PCM - or upsampled to 384 PCM or 196 PCM. I tested some DSD files I have and they worked OK also. You can check the U16 thread for the potential problems. What happens is that certain sample rate combinations can result in a digital hash (so be careful with the vol. control when testing). Recently I have/had 3 different Audio-GD DAC's, Topping D50 and D70 and Gustard A20H. Iirc, I could not get the U16 or SU1 to work with the D70. If you find someone sucessfuly using the U16 with your DAC, make sure to note the firmware and driver versions.

From personal experience I consider the stock SU1 to have a brighter signature than the; U16, U12, 3 prior versions of Audio GD DDC's (I have not yet tried the DI-20), Melodius, Tanley, W4S uLink (and a couple others I can't recall immediately). The SU1 turned to more neutral with the 5V mod. The SU1 was a very successful DDC with some great accolades, so as someone mentioned above, this is pretty much system dependent. Note I think the 5V mod only affects the power on the output side of the SU-1, you still need clean power on the USB line to drive the USB receiver module.

I had 2 economy 10M clocks here, one was a simple OCXO in case and the other was GPS disciplined. The GPS thing was also more expensive (and requires a little antenna box hanging out a window..), but I think that the GPS one made a more noticeable difference than the economy eBay OCXO. The 10M clock adds refinement and focus, kind of like focusing a camera lens from a little hazy to sharper. A few times I noticed my system was not 100%, thinking a bad power day, or weak tube, or something - but it turned out to be that my U16 reverted to the internal clock. These 10M clocks require a good power supply. A friend that does a lot of DIY work tried some economy clocks in various locations (motherboards, UPS hubs, etc.) and his comment was that the clock power quality is 50% or more of the clock effect.

Windows Server and AO is a great combination. Server 2019 GUI is similar to Widows 10 operating but sounds much much better. There is an evaluation period for Windows server up to 3 years or so, also AO can be tried under evaluation, I think a little over 110 USD to buy. If you prefer Linux, Euphony is great (expensive but has a 1 month trial), and I heard Volumio also in my system and very good. I think Euphony trial would maybe be a good check on what your laptop is capable of, you just burn the program to a USB stick and boot from the stick... https://euphony-audio.com/

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #816 of 869
Any idea how to use xmos control software on windows 10 with the U12? I happen to only be able to use the oldest drivers without the controller.

PS: driver 4.13 works fine but sadly not the xmos controller I'm used to such as controlling latency and buffer.

I do not think I used them, but iirc maybe the trick was to use the full version Thesycon drivers ?
Some folks were sharing test versions, I will check if maybe I have a copy somewhere also.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #817 of 869
Being new to the SU1, picked a used on up recently after killing the USB input on the DAC, I am reading through this thread (halfway through) with interest.

I have the magna modded version with some new Caps and voltage regulator upgrade, I am using an INtel NUC on an ATL LPS running Daphile, connected via a network switch running CAT 8.1 cables with a JCat USB rev 1-1 in the make (well the adapter board to connect it is underway) now running SPDIF to my Metrum Amethyst. I wonder if switching to a Ciunas PSU for the SU1 makes enough of a difference, does anyone care to comment?

(my biggest question is if the SU would benefit more from plenty smaller faster caps in parallel)

(am using a total of 4 13" high efficiency speakers that are quite revealing)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #818 of 869
Being new to the SU1, picked a used on up recently after killing the USB input on the DAC, I am reading through this thread (halfway through) with interest.

I have the magna modded version with some new Caps and voltage regulator upgrade, I am using an INtel NUC on an ATL LPS running Daphile, connected via a network switch running CAT 8.1 cables with a JCat USB rev 1-1 in the make (well the adapter board to connect it is underway) now running SPDIF to my Metrum Amethyst. I wonder if switching to a Ciunas PSU for the SU1 makes enough of a difference, does anyone care to comment?

(my biggest question is if the SU would benefit more from plenty smaller faster caps in parallel)

Instead if investing in pricy supercap PSU, I'd personally try to sell the SU-1 and invest in SU-6 which is also powered by supercapacitor supply.

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #819 of 869
150 Euro for the Ciunas supercap PSU, versus 600 for the SU6, let's say I can get 200 for the SU1...that still leaves a largish gap. Is the SU6 THAT much better?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #820 of 869
150 Euro for the Ciunas supercap PSU, versus 600 for the SU6, let's say I can get 200 for the SU1...that still leaves a largish gap. Is the SU6 THAT much better?
From an inside source I've gotten word that Ciunas Audio may be going out of business. Hopefully temporarily anyway but their website is already shut down. While not going to discuss particulars here, it has to do with issues that occur when opening it. If you still want one, PM me and I'll provide you with the email for the owner so maybe you can work something out with him to build you one while still possible. Build issues aside, they are bar-none the best sounding performance for the price as far as a DC LPS goes AFAIK.

I also have the SU-1 and although have been basically satisfied with it, I was surprised to see how a $200 CD transport via Toslink optical was able to outperform not only the SU-1 via PC (both playing the same song), but even with the SU-1 being coaxed along quite nicely with a series of two additional 'USB decrapifiers' before it. I'm not sure if you've heard on this thread already, but the Gustard U16 and especially with an external clock (there are cheaper ones than the Gustard C16); and especially the Audio-GD DI-20 standard as well as upgraded models and with external clocks, are all said to be miles ahead of the SU-1 and even the SU-6 depending on who you ask. That's just what I've read. I'm getting my DI-20 (98/90M version) next week and can compare to the SU-1.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #821 of 869
I'm getting my DI-20 (98/90M version) next week and can compare to the SU-1.
As a satisfied SU-1 user but of course always interested in what may represent next level of improvement, I look forward to your comparative impressions DL. One thing that interests me with SU-1 is the supercaps power supply, perhaps diminishing need for an external LPS. Do you use an external power supply with your SU-1 / plan to with the DI-20?

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #822 of 869
As a satisfied SU-1 user but of course always interested in what may represent next level of improvement, I look forward to your comparative impressions DL. One thing that interests me with SU-1 is the supercaps power supply, perhaps diminishing need for an external LPS. Do you use an external power supply with your SU-1 / plan to with the DI-20?
I don't use an LPS with the SU-1 but was considering it until I heard what a bit improvement the DI-20 is supposed to be even over the upgraded SU-1 or SU-6. Don't quote me on this but it appears that the DI-20 has an internal design separating the power filtering from the rest of the circuit, maybe even having an internal LPS. I'm also connecting mine to an AC power conditioner so shouldn't need an LPS, except for the DC LPS for my DAC. I encourage you to join this thread for it, and there's a few other cool things there now too.

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #824 of 869
thanks fokls, all good info. I'm not in a rush so will read some more reviews and finally likely at some point will audition some DDCs at Magna.Meanwhile I will tinker a bit with the SU1, I should have access to some good old Klangfilm tube LPS soon :)

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #825 of 869

I did not mod mine myself, but I think the SU-1 5v mod is easy to test. Just disconnect the mains power and USB cable, take off the lid, pop the 5v connector, and attach a similar connector with the 5v PS.. if you don't like it - 5 minutes can revert back to original. I imagine the current quality of your mains power is an important consideration. Since (I think) the Ciunas is an isolated PS, that may also be an influencing factor. If you don't like it in the SU-1, maybe it can power the JCat card... (sorry to read below about the possible Ciunas business problem..)

For my SU-1, I am using an Uptone LPS1 (isolated supercaps), followed with a LT3045 regulator box.. sounds fantastic (I swear it has been breaking-in or something... the past days has been just great..).. Magna seems to know what they are doing in offering value- oriented mods. If the mods are similar to the Kitstune, you may be able to find some comparison to a 5V mod...

I have not used SPDIF seriously for a while but there seem to be some successful SPDIF cleaners on the market recently, maybe worth considering also.. iFi just launched a new one and I think some of their distributors have a trial period available. From how you describe your system, I think you will be able to notice these types of source-level changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back