Singxer SU-1 Owners
Mar 9, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #47 of 869

Yes I thought I read the Singxer driver was limited to DOP in the higher DSD rates.

DoP only  available at all rates (64, 128, 256).

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #48 of 869
  A word of advice on the drivers.  Since both the Holo and the SU-1 are XMOS based devices they are functionally equivalent.  As such, you do NOT want to have both drivers installed simultaneously.  I did this once and got my PC very screwed up!  
I spoke to Tim @ Kitsune and he recommends that you use Holo driver over the Singxer driver.  The Holo driver is "signed" and tested.  The SU-1 driver is essentially a generic XMOS driver.  

I am fairly certain the driver has zero bearing on which DSD sample rates are supported.  ....that's the job of the devices firmware, not the driver installed on the PC.

I'm a bit confused with using either the SU1/Holo driver? Prior to adding the SU1 to my chain MBP>Holo my MBP MIDI set-up recognized the Holo which is what I used as the "output audio". When I added the SU1 to my chain MBP>SU1>Holo I only had the choice of using the SU1 driver in my MIDI set-up. It seems the SU1 driver over-rides the Holo driver? I'm under the impression on a PC you could choose which to use one to use as the "output audio" as the driver, but on a Mac you cant? Am I missing something?

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #49 of 869

I'm a bit confused with using either the SU1/Holo driver? Prior to adding the SU1 to my chain MBP>Holo my MBP MIDI set-up recognized the Holo which is what I used as the "output audio". When I added the SU1 to my chain MBP>SU1>Holo I only had the choice of using the SU1 driver in my MIDI set-up. It seems the SU1 driver over-rides the Holo driver? I'm under the impression on a PC you could choose which to use one to use as the "output audio" as the driver, but on a Mac you cant? Am I missing something?

I am not a MAC guy but I believe you are correct. On a MAC there is not driver to install so you cant choose.

Another nice feature of the Holo driver is that it has settings for latency and buffer size.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #50 of 869
  I am not a MAC guy but I believe you are correct. On a MAC there is not driver to install so you cant choose.

Another nice feature of the Holo driver is that it has settings for latency and buffer size.

No, there is no driver to install on a Mac, so I guess it is different from a PC having a driver choice.

Also, being I don't need to install a driver for the Holo on the Mac, I don't recall any settings for latency? Maybe this is only a PC option as well? All of my options are done via JRiver. Maybe I'm missing something?

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #51 of 869
  No, there is no driver to install on a Mac, so I guess it is different from a PC having a driver choice.

Also, being I don't need to install a driver for the Holo on the Mac, I don't recall any settings for latency? Maybe this is only a PC option as well? All of my options are done via JRiver. Maybe I'm missing something?

Yes, the latency and buffer settings are part of the control panel that gets installed with the driver.  See there are some benefits to being on PC!!!  :)

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #52 of 869
Originally Posted by joseph69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Only by choice, you can Boot Camp Windows 10 on any Mac and it will run smooth as silk if you *really* want to install the Holo driver!

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #53 of 869

Only by choice, you can Boot Camp Windows 10 on any Mac and it will run smooth as silk if you *really* want to install the Holo driver!

Yes, the latency and buffer settings are part of the control panel that gets installed with the driver.  See there are some benefits to being on PC!!!  :)

I'll just run my Mac the way it is without partitioning it to use the Holo drivers.

I've never used a PC for audio before so thanks for the clarification as to why I don't have these setting. I just thought I may have been missing something.

Thanks to both of you!

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #54 of 869
  So does that mean Letner was willing to make a DC input one?  In the past when I have asked him he said he had no plans for offering a DC input version.  So I assume he is going to just add a DC barrel socket to the back?

Yes, he is. At least for me. Maybe he received so many requests that he figured it was time to make them.

I did not ask him exactly how he was going to make the box, but I assume it will be as you describe.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #55 of 869

Yes, he is. At least for me. Maybe he received so many requests that he figured it was time to make them.

I did not ask him exactly how he was going to make the box, but I assume it will be as you describe.

Thank you.  I assume it was cheaper as well?

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #56 of 869
  Thank you.  I assume it was cheaper as well?

I paid $360 including shipping...so a little cheaper but nothing earth shattering.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #57 of 869
Since I2S is best suited to short runs, I decided to invest in a quality 1.5M WireWorld AE$ cable to try out.
Out-of-the-box I can't hear an audible difference between the two.  It will require more than just casual listening to discern any differences.  

In the meantime, the only "disadvantage" of using AE$ is that it doesn't support native DSD. It requires that I configure my player to use DoP (DSD over PCM).  
That's not really that big of deal as I've been perfectly happy using for DoP for years.  It would be nice to go "native" and avoid the processing overhead of packaging DSD into a PCM stream.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #58 of 869
@T Bone I wonder if there is any audible difference between a super short HDMI cable and a longer one?  I think this weekend I will throw in one my longer HDMI cables I have laying around and compare it to the 0.3m one I am using now with the Spring and SU-1.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #59 of 869
@T Bone
 I wonder if there is any audible difference between a super short HDMI cable and a longer one?  I think this weekend I will throw in one my longer HDMI cables I have laying around and compare it to the 0.3m one I am using now with the Spring and SU-1.

Which 0.3m cable are you using?

I am using a 0.5m Emotiva cable.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #60 of 869
  @T Bone I wonder if there is any audible difference between a super short HDMI cable and a longer one?  I think this weekend I will throw in one my longer HDMI cables I have laying around and compare it to the 0.3m one I am using now with the Spring and SU-1.

I have the same question.  I am actually on the hunt for a quality "shorty HDMI" to add to my inventory.  (You can never have too many interconnects!)
My SU-1 & Holo are over 1M apart, but for testing purposes, I could temporarily move the two closer together and see if it makes any difference.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back