1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Singxer SU-1 Owners

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by t bone, Mar 7, 2017.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last
  1. inthere
    I didn't have my Holo Audio Spring until 2 days ago and it still needs burn in, but the Singxer right now is sounding much better paired with my Dangerous Music Source than with the Holo Audio Spring.

I fully expect that to change after 200 hours on the Spring though because the Source also didn't sound the best when I first got it.

2. Tboooe
    My Spring sounded substantially better after 100 hours of continuous burnin in and 200 hours of just being left on.

3. rafabro
    I am already powering up SU-1 with powerbank - it is definitely wort to do it. The sound is so smooth..more natural

Internal power supply does provide 5V as well. 7V it is transformer before voltage regulator.
    I replaced capacitors in whole device as well. Most significant difference makes the one close to XMOS chip. It is wort to try experiment which one suits you the most. I'm using Audio Note Kaisei series but now I'm gonna try Chemicon KY as Accuphase does in own DAC and CD.

4. Tboooe
    I definitely want to try modding the Su-1 as well.  Can you please perhaps post a pic showing which capacitors you replaced?  Please excuse the dumb question but is replacing the capacitor as easy as desoldering or cutting the leg then installing the new capacitor?

5. rafabro
    Yep, it is pretty easy like that. If you have a bit of experience..

6. T Bone
    I had a hard time figuring out which formats and rates are supported on which outputs.
    So I put together a quick chart for reference.
    It's my community service good deed of the day.

S/PDIF
    AES/EBU
    I2S
    PCM 44.1kHz
    yes
    yes
    yes
    PCM 48kHz
    yes
    yes
    yes
    PCM 88.2kHz
    yes
    yes
    yes
    PCM 176.4kHz
    yes
    yes
    yes
    PCM 192kHz
    yes
    yes
    yes
    PCM 352.8kHz
    no
    no
    yes
    PCM 384kHz
    no
    no
    yes
    DSD64 2.8mHz
    DoP Mode​
    DoP Mode​
    Native & DoP​
    DSD128 5.6mHz
    no
    no
    Native & DoP​
    DSD256 11.2mHz
    no
    no
    Native & DoP​

7. Energy

You'll have to heat up each leg and wiggle it out, pulling up the side where the solder is melted.

After the capacitor is out, heat up the socket where there is still solder left inside with the soldering iron tip. While it's hot/melted, on the other side suck the solder out with a solder sucker (you don't use wick for these). It needs to be aimed accordingly so you may need a helping hand if you're new to this. I recommend the EDSYN DS017 deluxe solder sucker.

Afterwards simply place the new electrolytic capacitors (or film) back in the sockets in the correct polarity and resolder them. Be careful not to use too much solder. You don't want it to clump up. You'll just need enough to fill in the hole.

8. winders
    Well, I just ordered my Singxer SU-1! I won't need an AC power cord for it as it will have no AC power supply.

Soon I will have a nicely burned-in Singxer F-1 for sale.

9. T Bone
    Congratulations on your purchase. I am sure you will find it a useful upgrade in your system

10. winders

Thanks! My main reason for getting the Singxer SU-1 over the F-1 is that I want to use AES/EBU as that is supposed to be the Yggdrasil's best interface for sound quality. But I am also hedging my bets for the future. A USB DDC that supports AES/EBU, S/PDIF Coax (both BNC and RCA), and I2S is a flexible device indeed. The main drawback to the SU-1 was the power supply. Now that is no longer an issue so I pulled the trigger. It will take a week or two to get the special order built and then a week or two get here. But I am not in a hurry. What I have works extremely well.

11. Energy

Wait how are you doing your power supply section exactly? I need something with two independent 5V outputs for the USB input and Mainboard that won't cost me an arm or a leg.

Was thinking of cutting off 5V/GND from the input so I don't have to make a new USB cable, but maybe making a new cable with just D+/D- will be better as it's no longer parallel with dirty power lines. Less crosstalk. If that's the case, I'd just have to solder the linear power supply 5V/GND to the bottom of the USB TYPE B input.

I was thinking of removing the PCB from an iFi iUSB and fitting it into the Singxer SU-1 where the default power supply would be. It's literally the same size. No drivers needed. It has two 5V outputs with ultra-low noise regulators that outputs only 0.1uV of noise.

1. Solder one 5V/GND to the USB input on the Singer SU-1
    2. Solder the other 5V/GND to the mainboard.

Bam! Done!

Sadly I sold my iFi iUSB a few weeks ago so I'll need to get another for experimentation.

Curious to see what other people's methods would be.

12. winders

I am going to build a chain that looks like this:

MacBook Pro (USB Out) ⇢ UpTone Audio ISO Regen (USB Out) ⇢ Singxer SU-1 (AES/EBU Out) ⇢ Yggdrasil

I would power both ISO Regen and the SU-1 with an UpTone Audio LPS-1 set to output 5 vdc. This would give both ultra clean power with no AC leakage.

The ISO Regen would completely isolate the SU-1 and Yggdrasil from the MacBook and its dirty power and crappy USB signals. The ISO Regen would provide the SU-1 with well formed packets and clean power on the 5 vdc line. This setup will provide the Yggdrasil with the cleanest and best possible signal.

At least that is the plan!!!

13. Energy

Ah I get it now.

So LPS-1 powers ISO Regen & SU-1 Mainboard. Because the ISO Regen is powered, clean 5V will enter the USB input.

That's a good way to do it. It should do well for both isolation and power.
    I can't do the same as I'm not a fan of so many devices in series. Adds extra ps of jitter. I feel it's a give and take solution.

I'm going play the safe side instead and only improve on the 5V power supply and 5V USB Input. I'll be contacting iFi Audio to see if their iUSB power supply can output 5V simultaneously. You'll be seeing an interesting mod from me soon enough. Whether which one of ours sound better is hard to tell but surely they both will be better than stock. [​IMG]

14. winders

Your chain has as many devices. We both would have two devices between the computer and the DAC. The advantage my setup has over yours is that I get true isolation from the computer side of things. The ISO Regen does both isolation like the Intona and regeneration like the Regen. My chain has no AC leakage on the DAC side and only clean power from the LPS-1.

Of course, I have to wait for the ISO Regen to come out and for my SU-1...... 

15. winders

Sort of. I will build a "Y" cable so the LPS-1 can feed the DC inputs of both the ISO Regen and SU-1. The "dirty" side of the SU-1 gets it power from the USB bus. The clean side gets its power from the 5 VDC input. There are isolator chips on the SU-1 motherboard that separate the power. The isolators are not perfect. The ISO Regen works in the same way except its isolation is perfect.

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last