Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #991 of 2,563
One for the thread and new users? Any special songs now the SA1 has shone a light on them.... as great as it is.. its shifted some of my faves around.... rank of now sounding special/ than artist.. something you'd use to show off your system.... i am always looking for something new but the best of what you think.... i new ish to streaming so still collating a play list...
As long as its special to you..

Like this one with the mod its just a ton more space and bass like rolling thunder from being a background noise for reading..

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #992 of 2,563
I was trying to resist the temptation, but I ordered the SA-1 after Apos price matched for me to $539. I have ordered from them before, so I am confident they are a great vendor.

My current DAC is the SMSL SU-8 v2. Any opinions from SA-1 owners on whether a DAC upgrade would be worthwhile? I know newer DACs have better/additional features such as larger screens, Bluetooth, MQA (not important for me), etc. I am primarily interested in actual sound performance gains/synergism. Is pairing the SA-1 with a higher voltage output DAC (above the standard XLR 4 volts) actually worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

May 23, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #993 of 2,563
I was trying to resist the temptation, but I ordered the SA-1 after Apos price matched for me to $539. I have ordered from them before, so I am confident they are a great vendor.

My current DAC is the SMSL SU-8 v2. Any opinions from SA-1 owners on whether a DAC upgrade would be worthwhile? I know newer DACs have better/additional features such as larger screens, Bluetooth, MQA (not important for me), etc. I am primarily interested in actual sound performance gains/synergism. Is pairing the SA-1 with a higher voltage output DAC (above the standard XLR 4 volts) actually worthwhile?

The SA-1 can certainly handle the 6.9v my adi 2 can dump into it, but it’s just fine when I’m dumping in 3.4v also, you’ll be more than ok with the 4v, unless we are talking about he6 or susvara lol which you still might get away with depending on how loud you like to listen

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #994 of 2,563
Just ordered my sa-1 today! Can’t wait to receive it :)

May 23, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #995 of 2,563
My music play list the very well recorded sound almost holographic with more perceived details super clean. That super smooth sheen unmodded is gone, nice but doesn't let sparkle stand out. Like standing at the door of a concert hall like strange a EQ setting but not the terrible software version were you gain and loose.
Vocals more intimate cymbals drums more realistic.. The poor recordings sound a touch edgy but if thats the real version so be it..
@joseG86 If that helps??)

All very nice sounding subjective descriptive and almost meaningless but there you go.. if someone can test and apply figure to the changes great..

I havent tried other settings though. I upped the voltage of my Qutest up too 3 volts.. low gain under the SA1 from day one .. 7-9 on the dial is about too loud for me. The Dan Clark Ethers 2 dont need much...
Are you using balanced or rca? I’m assuming rca with the Qutest. I wonder if you would’ve had better SQ with balanced xlr had you been able to try it before the MOD. Can anyone speak to this? As this is a balanced amp. And from what I know most gear made balanced will sound best implemented in that fashion….

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #996 of 2,563
welcome to the singxer class A club!!!

May 23, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #997 of 2,563
Interesting.. using Gungnir into the Singxer and mine is a release week unit it still has enough power to make me uncomfortable by noon using HE6se. It's an Alps RK27 pot, it doesn't break in.. check your source and max it out. I'm in high gain and low z. There's enough power on tap to have really good attenuation range on the pot with this amp. I've some others where you can barely turn it up like Jot2. The Singxer to me is perfect. Also to note, I'm using passive max volume into the Singxer for headphone listening. No additional gain from my DAC.
The trick i've found is to play something like The Silent Sound Spectrum, which has very low bass. A good enough amp wont distort with the Susvaras when playing those low notes, even if with most music it may sound fine.
Are you using balanced or rca? I’m assuming rca with the Qutest. I wonder if you would’ve had better SQ with balanced xlr had you been able to try it before the MOD. Can anyone speak to this? As this is a balanced amp. And from what I know most gear made balanced will sound best implemented in that fashion….
You want to use the balanced output of a balanced amp. The input isn't quite so important. If an amp manufacturer can't do a phase splitter right, that'd be a real problem. I tried the RCA vs. balanced inputs from an Yggy without noticeable differences, so I'd say a Qutest would be fine as a source.

May 24, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #998 of 2,563
Yes, id love to try just for my own experience, shorter and shielded was what i was told early on. Design and implementation.... of the gear.. nice to hear it shouldnt be an issue from Currawong... not hard to try both if you have that option.. i keep finding more details with the mod and changing my preferences.. Good vocals sound intimate....

Its always felt that the Amps have been holding back what a good DAC can do... every change for me seems one step further..

May 25, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #999 of 2,563
The trick i've found is to play something like The Silent Sound Spectrum, which has very low bass. A good enough amp wont distort with the Susvaras when playing those low notes, even if with most music it may sound fine.

You want to use the balanced output of a balanced amp. The input isn't quite so important. If an amp manufacturer can't do a phase splitter right, that'd be a real problem. I tried the RCA vs. balanced inputs from an Yggy without noticeable differences, so I'd say a Qutest would be fine as a source.
Love your videos Curra. When I see your videos it reminds me that we are both getting fatter man, and we should do something about it. not that is summer, gotta get the bike around japan Curra!!

May 25, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #1,001 of 2,563

You will have fun with SU-8 v2 and SA-1. SU-8 v2 is balanced which is very good.

May 27, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #1,002 of 2,563
I have a iha-6. Its got a scratchy right channel but I'm pretty familiar with it. The Singxer sa-1 has a bigger soundstage, better female vocals/airyness. The iha-6 has a soundstage that is smaller but I would say PRAT is better on the iha-6. Also it has more power on tap, that much is palpable, it has better bass control.

Still, it seems after a brief warmup the Singxer sa-1 opened up nicely. Better for most music because it makes my Z1Rs almost seem like they are open backs. Crazy!

May 27, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #1,003 of 2,563
I received a balanced cable for my HD800 yesterday. Better separation, deeper stage.
Gaming was great, better placement of sounds.
Is it majorly different that the single ended, no. The slight change is obvious to me an a great upgrade in quality.
Thanks to the people that posted about the balanced option that made me try it.

May 27, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,005 of 2,563
I didn't find the difference so large but ask me to go back to SE... no... To be fair experiences may vary, kit headphones, your ears. Subjectivity is hard to gain an answer from.. We can only hope for honesty and base are decision off others thoughts. I just bought a new xlr cable with a low Pf per foot rating... and shorter....
Yes different but so subtle...
I am just glad its made a bigger to you guys and your set ups..

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back