Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 27, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,006 of 2,563
I got a 84 strand litz copper version, I was using a single ended version prior to this both from Custom Cans UK.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #1,007 of 2,563
I have a iha-6. Its got a scratchy right channel but I'm pretty familiar with it. The Singxer sa-1 has a bigger soundstage, better female vocals/airyness. The iha-6 has a soundstage that is smaller but I would say PRAT is better on the iha-6. Also it has more power on tap, that much is palpable, it has better bass control.

Still, it seems after a brief warmup the Singxer sa-1 opened up nicely. Better for most music because it makes my Z1Rs almost seem like they are open backs. Crazy!
How long of a warmup? The SA-1 works ok (12:00) with my dynamic headphones volume wise but with my planars, I don't know why, but it just bothers me that I have to go to 3:00-4:00 to get where I like to listen. That's why I like my IHA-6, plenty of power on tap.

May 27, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,009 of 2,563
How long of a warmup? The SA-1 works ok (12:00) with my dynamic headphones volume wise but with my planars, I don't know why, but it just bothers me that I have to go to 3:00-4:00 to get where I like to listen. That's why I like my IHA-6, plenty of power on tap.
sounds to me you prefer a linear volume control over exponential. SA-1 is exponential.

Also sounds like you are defining power output by volume position and not actual output. The dial does not suggest the amount of headroom or power output unless you map it to the exponential curve and read it or measure it.

For me, I like that easy to drive HP have a nice section on the dial where I can fine tune the volume. For me, I have no issue adjusting my planars. Not sure if this exponential control will ease the need to adjust gain or not. It might. Instead of changing gain, I might have enough tuning control not to have to change it at the lower range.

May 27, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,010 of 2,563
sounds to me you prefer a linear volume control over exponential. SA-1 is exponential.

Also sounds like you are defining power output by volume position and not actual output. The dial does not suggest the amount of headroom or power output unless you map it to the exponential curve and read it or measure it.

For me, I like that easy to drive HP have a nice section on the dial where I can fine tune the volume. For me, I have no issue adjusting my planars. Not sure if this exponential control will ease the need to adjust gain or not. It might. Instead of changing gain, I might have enough tuning control not to have to change it at the lower range.
I set to high gain right out of the box. I need to research more linear vs. exponential volume control.

I really need to get past that stigma I've created of the volume knob needing to go all the way to 3:00.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,011 of 2,563
I have a iha-6. Its got a scratchy right channel but I'm pretty familiar with it. The Singxer sa-1 has a bigger soundstage, better female vocals/airyness. The iha-6 has a soundstage that is smaller but I would say PRAT is better on the iha-6. Also it has more power on tap, that much is palpable, it has better bass control.

Still, it seems after a brief warmup the Singxer sa-1 opened up nicely. Better for most music because it makes my Z1Rs almost seem like they are open backs. Crazy!
Try to use more volume while playing in SA-1

May 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,012 of 2,563
2hours or so? The hiss just slowly gets louder. Maybe dc offset buildup of some kind? I feel the same way. I drive Z1rs and they really come to life in a different way than my SA-1. The SA-1 is alittle underpowered. Deciding between the SA-1 and the Burson Soloist 3xp. The Cayin is a great amp.

May 27, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,013 of 2,563
2hours or so? The hiss just slowly gets louder. Maybe dc offset buildup of some kind? I feel the same way. I drive Z1rs and they really come to life in a different way than my SA-1. The SA-1 is alittle underpowered. Deciding between the SA-1 and the Burson Soloist 3xp. The Cayin is a great amp.
Thanaks, I'm probably gonna return the SA-1

May 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,015 of 2,563
May 27, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,016 of 2,563
I set to high gain right out of the box. I need to research more linear vs. exponential volume control.
https://www.hoaglandcustom.com/2017/05/15/hello-world/

An AUDIO taper pot increases the signal from your guitar to your amp in a logarithmic (exponential) fashion. Simply explained, “1”, “2”, or “3” on the volume knob will produce little, if any, signal but once you get past “3” or so, the volume will ramp up a LOT. Past “8” or so there will be very little volume increase. ...

A LINEAR taper pot increases the signal in a linear fashion. (“1” on your control is equal to 10%, “4” is equal to 40% and so forth) This works very different from an audio taper volume pot. ...

May 27, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,017 of 2,563

I really need to get past that stigma I've created of the volume knob needing to go all the way to 3:00.

In defense of your "stigma" of having to go high on the volume knob to get required loudness: almost all the line level gear we use in our lifetimes (anything w/a volume knob) used linear volume potentiometers. After years of being heavily into audio, I encountered my very first logarithmic volume post just ~4 years ago. It took me awhile to get used to it--but now I really value that wide adjustment space on the lower end of low gain--because that's where most of my gear wants to live. I'm including my speakers & sub, which I listen to at low volume most of the time; and on this logarithmic pot, it's child's play to exactly dial in the perfect low volume because the pot gives so much rotational real estate to do so.

Every once in awhile I try a less sensitive/efficient headphone on that amp, and feel slightly uncomfortable pushing the volume to levels that would blow my ears off w/more sensitive stuff. So I know that feeling...

It's all about what you're used to. But I predict that the longer you use a logarithmic pot--especially if you have any efficient/sensitive headphones that don't want to go anywhere near 3 to 4PM on the dial--the more you'll appreciate it.

May 27, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,019 of 2,563
In defense of your "stigma" of having to go high on the volume knob to get required loudness: almost all the line level gear we use in our lifetimes (anything w/a volume knob) used linear volume potentiometers. After years of being heavily into audio, I encountered my very first logarithmic volume post just ~4 years ago. It took me awhile to get used to it--but now I really value that wide adjustment space on the lower end of low gain--because that's where most of my gear wants to live. I'm including my speakers & sub, which I listen to at low volume most of the time; and on this logarithmic pot, it's child's play to exactly dial in the perfect low volume because the pot gives so much rotational real estate to do so.

Every once in awhile I try a less sensitive/efficient headphone on that amp, and feel slightly uncomfortable pushing the volume to levels that would blow my ears off w/more sensitive stuff. So I know that feeling...

It's all about what you're used to. But I predict that the longer you use a logarithmic pot--especially if you have any efficient/sensitive headphones that don't want to go anywhere near 3 to 4PM on the dial--the more you'll appreciate it.

That's the problem, even my Grado's need to go to 3:00. All my planars also, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire, Hifiman Sundara's, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back