Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 18, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #961 of 2,563
Hahahha Topping VS Singxer
1621362944240.png

May 18, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #963 of 2,563
"Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp) | Page 9 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum" https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-1-review-balanced-headphone-amp.23365/page-9

Tom Chen the designer doesn't recommend coupling.. But as we have the option we can... later issues wont as this was for testing only.. A new rev pcb probably will not have this option.

Then he needs to keep it and make it sound this good 😁 A great piece of electronics he and his team have designed though..... 👍

The plot thickens...is it possible that what you guys perceive as better sound after the mod, is actually not better, just different and possibly worse? :deadhorse:

May 18, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #964 of 2,563
Hey y'all. I have one of these in-bound and am excited. After reading the latest about the Jumper Mod, I have a few questions: I use 2 different DACs [Schiit Gumby / Topping D70s] so I would need to contact both to inquire about the DC offset, I guess? How should I word this email, exactly? Not sure that I am even going to do the mod right now. Just want to know in case I do decide to later and want to understand what I need to ask [and more importantly, what it means]. Cheers!
I have a Bifrost 2 and I have already sent the question about DC offset for that DAC. No response yet. My wording was:

"I own a Bifrost 2 DAC I purchased directly from your store. I just bought a new headphone amplifier (Singxer SA-1) and it allows me to very easily bypass the input capacitors which are intended to protect the amp and headphones from DC offset. Bypassing the caps is done to improve sound quality of the amp. My question is - has the Bifrost 2 DAC been specifically engineered to prevent DC offset from appearing on either XLR or RCA outputs? I'm trying to determine if it is safe for me to bypass those amp input capacitors without risking damage to my $1200 headphones."

I don't have any immediate plans for doing the jumper mod myself since I like to take time with the stock unit first. If more positive feedback comes in, either here or from Schiit directly, that could change in the future.

May 18, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #965 of 2,563
Hey @Chamade

Both are equally valid... Amir can FFT his little socks off and see less or more sub fruit bat hearing level spikes, doesn't mean better. 100% yes its different... better is 4 jumpers and an Allen key.. only you can decide....
Loosely.. top end warmth is now open and detailed not that slight tubey highs.. IMHO. No idea if bypassing those caps inproves the circuit noise, throws the ciruit out of whack, at the expense of DC coupling. Mr Chen or EEs here might know.
Modern DAC maybe fine or not? A fault in the Amp might do it... it is there for a reason.... 🙂 Not sure by 0.001% dont do it.. easy.. and be happy..... its what i did, not what you should do... That jumper Genie left the bottle long before me...

Thank you though Chamade.. i wish someone definitive can say for god sake noo.. dont or you should be fine don't worry. I could have posted did it.. like it..
but i worry like an old woman..

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #966 of 2,563
Hi @cobrabucket as @domiji says yes i think its a fantastic change and so simple to change back.
But as a member said has the potential to damage headphones. Only from another member saying test first. and you kill your warranty.
Ill be boring and keep repeating this as i am a nobody rando internet guy... Not an expert, just posted what i did to help...

My email to Chord electronics was just to ask is there any DC offset produced by the DACs RCA output. Others should ask the same if they use 3 pin XLR also.

Others here if i missed anything out important ? please say and post..

You could try a cheap pair of headphones but you still dont know if some expensive pair wont.. An Amp and and 2k headphones is an expensive experiment.... be sure before. I am glad i had peace of mind first.
The Amp is on me but my phones are ok.. make sure its turned off at wall unplugged and used an esd strap and plug..or get an Electronics trained guy to do it... be safe its just an Amp you're health is Infinitely more important my friend..

Good luck
David
have you thought about making this mod switchable? I remember zeos mentioning that too; something like bring those pins out, like with extension cables, and be able to put the jumpers in and out but from the outside... maybe with some kind of switch?

May 18, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #967 of 2,563
Did you guys say the Topping D70s is safe to use?

May 19, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #968 of 2,563
have you thought about making this mod switchable? I remember zeos mentioning that too; something like bring those pins out, like with extension cables, and be able to put the jumpers in and out but from the outside... maybe with some kind of switch?
It could be doable cut cutting a hole in the case 8 wires split on a 2 pole switch.. i am happy as it is... The cat is out the bag by taking the lid off anyway... Good for A\B ing sound like a secondary review.. Yes Mr Zeos looking at you..🙂👍. but the same issues apply for DC coupling risks....
Good idea..

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #969 of 2,563
Here's the Reply to the email I sent Topping:
"Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.
Bypassing the cap is not recommended by their designer. Although there's no dc offset on d70s. You can certainly do that but any potential damage is warned.
Best Regards"
So it looks like the D70s is all good. I still haven't heard back from Schiit though...

May 20, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #970 of 2,563
I'm sure DC mode is 100% worth it, I've got the Kinki THR-1 which is DC coupled and it sounds like I removed a thin veil out of SA-1, like under the effects of magic mushrooms. I wonder if DC mode users can verify this opinion lol

May 20, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #973 of 2,563
My music play list the very well recorded sound almost holographic with more perceived details super clean. That super smooth sheen unmodded is gone, nice but doesn't let sparkle stand out. Like standing at the door of a concert hall like strange a EQ setting but not the terrible software version were you gain and loose.
Vocals more intimate cymbals drums more realistic.. The poor recordings sound a touch edgy but if thats the real version so be it..
@joseG86 If that helps??)

All very nice sounding subjective descriptive and almost meaningless but there you go.. if someone can test and apply figure to the changes great..

I havent tried other settings though. I upped the voltage of my Qutest up too 3 volts.. low gain under the SA1 from day one .. 7-9 on the dial is about too loud for me. The Dan Clark Ethers 2 dont need much...

May 20, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #974 of 2,563
My music play list the very well recorded sound almost holographic with more perceived details super clean. That super smooth sheen unmodded is gone, nice but doesn't let sparkle stand out. Like standing at the door of a concert hall like strange a EQ setting but not the terrible software version were you gain and loose.
Vocals more intimate cymbals drums more realistic.. The poor recordings sound a touch edgy but if thats the real version so be it..
@joseG86 If that helps??)

All very nice sounding subjective descriptive and almost meaningless but there you go.. if someone can test and apply figure to the changes great..

I havent tried other settings though. I upped the voltage of my Qutest up too 3 volts.. low gain under the SA1 from day one .. 7-9 on the dial is about too loud for me. The Dan Clark Ethers 2 dont need much...
Cheers, Agree 101%

May 21, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #975 of 2,563
I ran this past the wife and, unsurprisingly, she advised against it. She doesn't want me to void the warranty or explode my headphones, but I am trying to reassure her. LOL. Only thing is that since I got this through Apos, there is a 2 year warranty period on this. Not sure I can hold out that long. I guess I can just sit back and get more feedback from folks doing the mod before performing it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back