Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 15, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #931 of 2,563
I feel like this amp has been designed to get full sound at lower volumes. People are used to having to get fuller sound at higher volumes, thus this quality from the SA-1 takes some getting used to.

I absolutely loved the sound from the SA-1 out of the box. Good to know it should get much better.

May 15, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #932 of 2,563
I feel like this amp has been designed to get full sound at lower volumes. People are used to having to get fuller sound at higher volumes, thus this quality from the SA-1 takes some getting used to.

I absolutely loved the sound from the SA-1 out of the box. Good to know it should get much better.
Totally agree with you. I'm listening at much lower volume than I used to. the sound is full and satisfying even at lower level. Does take some getting used to. It most certainly has got louder also.

May 15, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #933 of 2,563

Agreed, really impressive. I don’t feel the need to crank it up, i get everything I need at lower volumes compared to other amps Ive had/tried.

May 15, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #936 of 2,563
Try:

Starway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

2 minutes from the end

May 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #937 of 2,563
I see what you mean about the Z switch.. But while you're here thanks for your work. Anyone adding to the community and creating extra perspective is a lovely thing. Just hope you have fun doing it.

I saw the Sparkos OP amps researching and I wondered if they could work here in the singxer, with effort...Bursons seem for flavour, was thinking Sparkos if they add detail.
Not a simple mod in a singxer as SMT.
Working in electronics theres characteristics the Chinese engineers chose for their TI op amps. But thats later...and a Mr sparko conversation. Wishing i could end game off his Headamp..$$$$

A day + in the units starting to dial in.

Shame you never tried the jumper mod... but you can only judge a virgin unit for a fair comparison...

Good luck and keep up the good work..

Dave

I used a pair of Sparkos SS3602 opamps in the output board of my V281, which I routinely use as a preamp (opamps in that board only affect the sound of preamp outputs). The V281 is already a very rich & dimensional sounding SS device, but the sound via preamp outputs got just a little better IMO.

I'd heard about Sparkos because this opamp was available as an option in the input board of the Nord stereo class D amp I'm interested in. I read many user & reviewer comments that preferred the Sparkos opamps in that amp over the Sonic Imagery opamps, which to some sounded overly neutral.

So I'm a real fan of Sparkos, and in fact, of quality opamps in general. But I don't see how they could be used in the Singxer, which is designed w/no opamps & no connections for opamps.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #938 of 2,563
So I'm a real fan of Sparkos, and in fact, of quality opamps in general. But I don't see how they could be used in the Singxer, which is designed w/no opamps & no connections for opamps.
I think you and others are correct and not anywhere in the signal path as i was hoping. I am a skilled monkey with a soldering iron but no EE. Manufacturing only. I dont know if those TI amps can be replaced or to what benefit those 2 next to the DC Protection capacitors Alps pot..

He does an SOIC adapter but it would be tight if it was functionally appropriate or beneficial electrical replacement..

... i am always looking but rely on professionals for answers. Was going to ask Mr Sparks
People seem to like the Nord with thier ice modules. I only know as i have thier starter streamer.. i put 3 ifi i silencers on the usb bus and got a nice boost. As a Bus filter. I got the same on an intel NUC.. this hobby things start adding up ££££

Thanks for the heads up @Pharmaboy

I got bored and fast ordered jumpers on amazon for sunday... at least i can do a guide for us here, if people want to experiment....

For those who know electrickery
"OPA1612 data sheet, product information and support | TI.com" https://www.ti.com/product/OPA1612

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-010045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-010045_Gallery.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #940 of 2,563
Got mine today with the usual fast and excellent service from Shenzhenaudio.

I am rather puzzled by the volume. In high gain, low Z and XLR in from my SU-9 mode the wheel needs to be at 4 o'clock position with my Arya (balanced) and 3 for ADX5000 (unbalanced) and I do not listen that loud. The Violectric V200 which this was meant to replace had to be at 12 position. At 1 o'clock would be already too much.

Is that possible?
Yes, it is. I posted a couple times on this topic earlier this month. Others did, as well. BTW, I'm not an expert in electronics, but I've learned a few things about volume pots in this hobby--because I own/owned many amps, and each amp seems to handle volume attenuation somewhat differently:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...a-beyond-thx-888.952074/page-52#post-16333097

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...a-beyond-thx-888.952074/page-53#post-16333234

May 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #941 of 2,563
Yes, it is. I posted a couple times on this topic earlier this month. Others did, as well. BTW, I'm not an expert in electronics, but I've learned a few things about volume pots in this hobby--because I own/owned many amps, and each amp seems to handle volume attenuation somewhat differently:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...a-beyond-thx-888.952074/page-52#post-16333097

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sin...a-beyond-thx-888.952074/page-53#post-16333234
I have now read your informative posts, thank you.

I still do not get the designer choice of opting for an exponential volume pot when so much of the wheel run is doing almost nothing.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #942 of 2,563
I now read your informative posts, thank you.

I still do not get the designer choice of opting for an exponential volume pot when so much of the wheel run is doing almost nothing.
I guess they had in mind IEM users/really low impedance as well, I think the design is flawless at the price.

May 16, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #943 of 2,563
I now read your informative posts, thank you.

I can't read the designer's mind, but my guess for the reason is as follows:
  • There are more pricey/TOTL headphones around now (incl. planars) that are far more efficient/sensitive/low impedance than ever before
  • This is a very powerful amp (~6.5 wpc @32 ohms)
  • So use of a linear volume pot would confine users w/sensitive HPs to a small portion of the pot's range (ie, from ~7:30 to 8:30 on the dial).
I've had a few powerful amps like that--it's no fun trying to dial in a satisfactory volume when just 1-2mm of additional play of the volume pot can blow your ears off...

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #945 of 2,563
Let's be honest here, this pot is just half good. The exponential effect went too far and a different curve of progression would have been welcome. Nice to get loud at 12 instead of 9, but not 3. It's really too much, por people in low gain, to be honest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back