Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 16, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #946 of 2,563
Ill do a guide tomorrow but not a fun day so far. Really really really lucky to find a manufacturing fault you can fix yourself as you just voided the warranty doing it..

As i just did the jumper mod i thought... hey ill use a touch of Caig dexoit on the pins from the AC socket..
They arent crimped but soldered on... the wire snapped on a little movement and its thick wire.. stripped back and redone correctly and well soldered back in... Bloody hell needed new underpants...
Just thinking i never checked the neutral.. rushing as i have a 3 yold to sort out...

Unit is fine, dont know if the connection was affecting anything.. Jumper mod works fine and £4k of headphones haven't blown up.. Chord support told the truth..

Just a quick update for Jumper mod.. The highs sound more clear as i was hoping just a little to dull before.. Better for me and yes you can notice easy...

Just need a shower....☹💩

David ...

Attachments

• 20210516_192004.jpg
    20210516_192004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210516_195513.jpg
    20210516_195513.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #947 of 2,563
Ill do a guide tomorrow but not a fun day so far. Really really really lucky to find a manufacturing fault you can fix yourself as you just voided the warranty doing it..

As i just did the jumper mod i thought... hey ill use a touch of Caig dexoit on the pins from the AC socket..
They arent crimped but soldered on... the wire snapped on a little movement and its thick wire.. stripped back and redone correctly and well soldered back in... Bloody hell needed new underpants...
Just thinking i never checked the neutral.. rushing as i have a 3 yold to sort out...

Unit is fine, dont know if the connection was affecting anything.. Jumper mod works fine and £4k of headphones haven't blown up.. Chord support told the truth..

Just a quick update for Jumper mod.. The highs sound more clear as i was hoping just a little to dull before.. Better for me and yes you can notice easy...

Just need a shower....☹💩

David ...
Impressive haha, cheers David!

May 17, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #948 of 2,563
Ok more details to complete the "Jumper Cap DC offset circuit bypass MOD"
3 things to consider:
This is what i did. Get a professional if in any doubt. All your own risk as it was mine..
1. A screw is covered with a tamper proof sticker. So they know you opened the unit voiding the warranty..
2. This circuit is for blocking DC offset. This can damage your headphones. I contacted my DAC manufacturer prior to trying this and asked.
3. You should be earth grounded with an ESD earth strap. (Can stop you breaking your AMP Electrostatic discharge kill ICs.) Earthing plugs are cheap as well.....You can leave the cable in but off at plug

Old man warnings out the way...

The MOD is basically done for you.
4 sets of 2 pins require Jumpers to bridge and create a connection.
I bought these and worked great.

10Pcs Jumper Cap Shunts 2.54mm Blue Standard Circuit Board Mini Jumper Cap Connector​

AMAZON for speed but easy and cheap.

You will need some small Allen key sets. Imperial i think but no great force needed. Dont force or over tighten later on.
To make life easy, get some tweezers, i borrowed the wifes eyebrow tweezers as the last 2 are a tight fit..

Turn off unit red switch... turn of at socket but leave in..Why? ESD STRAP needs a path to earth to remove static build up on you.. That can damage ICs.. No warranty remember.. £7 ESD strap.. safest is no mains cable and esd plug and strap.

Turn the unit over place on something soft.. foam from Packaging works..

You will see 5 small screw heads and a sticker. Thats no 6.
Undo these 6 screws they are long but dont need much to take out..

Turn over and inside you can see by the volume pot 4 green round capacitors these are where the 2 x 4 pins are.

Use your ESD STRAP and ensure its powered off at the wall... better esd wall plug. One to unit one on your wrist..

Use tweezers as its easier and fit the 4 jumper caps. Job done..

Tips: check which way the curved slot is before removing the lid... so you know which around it goes...

Be gentle . Hold lid and AMP in one hand and feel with screw intil in place.. finger tighten only... Any force you might cross thread it.
Repeat on opposite sides but dont tighten yet.

With Allen key just the lightest nip is needed...dont swing on it...

I like Caig Deoxit i added that to the pins.

Please check all the details.

Read about ESD get a plug strap its a tool and cheap.
Electricity is dangerous... comfort zones arent the same as a professional skilled qualified engineer.
"Electrostatic discharge - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

Enjoy a different detailed sound....

Pics below

Attachments

• 20210516_195838.jpg
    20210516_195838.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210516_143126.jpg
    20210516_143126.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210516_143132.jpg
    20210516_143132.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210516_143205.jpg
    20210516_143205.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210516_144112.jpg
    20210516_144112.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210516_144026.jpg
    20210516_144026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210516_145532.jpg
    20210516_145532.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210517-150444_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210517-150444_Google.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210517-160133_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210517-160133_Drive.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #949 of 2,563
Final thoughts post DC MOD..

Its really nice and clean-'er' sounding now. Really my personal preference..

Its unfair to say 'dark' but without the DC offset circuit its so much more cleaner not bright but sharper in upper mids and highs. The bass is more in the right place a little . The sound stage in my head seems rounded and this opened up more after.

Curse all those reviewers for not trying this, Zeos even popped the lid so he could have tried.....

Being the internet its easy to say yes go do this dont worry... some guy from the UK says its great. Warranty is voided can you afford €500.. ?? i checked with a cheap volt meter but only when Chord electronics support said there is no DC offset on my Qutest. So my £2000 phones don't go bang..

You can't say it enough be.. electrical safety aware...

That said it beats my gilmore lite MK2 and Magni 3 in all aspects.. more +++ L-M-H..

Its really good as a virgin under warranty AMP..

Sorry i can't compare for you all but hopefully someone who has tried all the midfi brands and higher + can give you a better idea of what this brings to the table and is it worth trying...

It just not the same Amp....

I wont spam on the thread anymore and just enjoy. But feel free to ask any questions or advice in my limited way i can help with...

Again thanks to all the posters for helping me decide to buy this and general help advice..
Just hope i added a bit more...🙂

Good luck

David

May 17, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #950 of 2,563

Its unfair to say 'dark' but without the DC offset circuit its so much more cleaner not bright but sharper in upper mids and highs. The bass is more in the right place a little . The sound stage in my head seems rounded and this opened up more after.

Curse all those reviewers for not trying this, Zeos even popped the lid so he could have tried.....

Being the internet its easy to say yes go do this dont worry... some guy from the UK says its great. Warranty is voided can you afford €500.. ?? i checked with a cheap volt meter but only when Chord electronics support said there is no DC offset on my Qutest. So my £2000 phones don't go bang..

That said it beats my gilmore lite MK2 and Magni 3 in all aspects.. more +++ L-M-H..

Sorry i can't compare for you all but hopefully someone who has tried all the midfi brands and higher + can give you a better idea of what this brings to the table and is it worth trying...

I wont spam on the thread anymore and just enjoy. But feel free to ask any questions or advice in my limited way i can help with...

Again thanks to all the posters for helping me decide to buy this and general help advice..

Good luck

David
Thank you for your service to our little community sir!

May 17, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #952 of 2,563
Anyone with knowledge of DC offset…how likely is this to damage headphones? Does it depend on the DAC used? On the mains electric quality? Grounding?

There must be a very good reason it’s there, especially since it apparently degrades sound quality.

May 17, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #953 of 2,563
You are already #1 Middy

If more people do the DC mod and nothing explodes in 6 months, I will try it too.

May 17, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #954 of 2,563
Anyone with knowledge of DC offset…how likely is this to damage headphones? Does it depend on the DAC used? On the mains electric quality? Grounding?

There must be a very good reason it’s there, especially since it apparently degrades sound quality.
These are the questions we should ask. Id never forgive myself if something went wrong for people here and people Googling... minimum email your DAC manufacturer.. i only learned this by reading this thread about DC offset by more knowledgeable people..
Its a great amp already...

Why i hate recommendations, i want to help. £480 is a lot to me.. but any doubts dont or wait please... its an option not a necessity... 🙂
Wait until the upgradeitus itch calls..

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #955 of 2,563
The mod is absolutely worth a try.

Good luck

David
I told you the mod would be very good 😅

To me it feels like releasing the handbrake of this amp 😁

May 18, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #956 of 2,563
Hey y'all. I have one of these in-bound and am excited. After reading the latest about the Jumper Mod, I have a few questions: I use 2 different DACs [Schiit Gumby / Topping D70s] so I would need to contact both to inquire about the DC offset, I guess? How should I word this email, exactly? Not sure that I am even going to do the mod right now. Just want to know in case I do decide to later and want to understand what I need to ask [and more importantly, what it means]. Cheers!

May 18, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #957 of 2,563
Hi @cobrabucket as @domiji says yes i think its a fantastic change and so simple to change back.
But as a member said has the potential to damage headphones. Only from another member saying test first. and you kill your warranty.
Ill be boring and keep repeating this as i am a nobody rando internet guy... Not an expert, just posted what i did to help...

My email to Chord electronics was just to ask is there any DC offset produced by the DACs RCA output. Others should ask the same if they use 3 pin XLR also.

Others here if i missed anything out important ? please say and post..

You could try a cheap pair of headphones but you still dont know if some expensive pair wont.. An Amp and and 2k headphones is an expensive experiment.... be sure before. I am glad i had peace of mind first.
The Amp is on me but my phones are ok.. make sure its turned off at wall unplugged and used an esd strap and plug..or get an Electronics trained guy to do it... be safe its just an Amp you're health is Infinitely more important my friend..

Good luck
David

May 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #958 of 2,563
Hi @cobrabucket as @domiji says yes i think its a fantastic change and so simple to change back.
But as a member said has the potential to damage headphones. Only from another member saying test first. and you kill your warranty.
Ill be boring and keep repeating this as i am a nobody rando internet guy... Not an expert, just posted what i did to help...

My email to Chord electronics was just to ask is there any DC offset produced by the DACs RCA output. Others should ask the same if they use 3 pin XLR also.

Others here if i missed anything out important ? please say and post..

You could try a cheap pair of headphones but you still dont know if some expensive pair wont.. An Amp and and 2k headphones is an expensive experiment.... be sure before. I am glad i had peace of mind first.
The Amp is on me but my phones are ok.. make sure its turned off at wall unplugged and used an esd strap and plug..or get an Electronics trained guy to do it... be safe its just an Amp you're health is Infinitely more important my friend..

Good luck
David
Middy, it'd be really helpful if you can give us a step by step tutorial so that we can all try the MOD as soon as the warranty expire :smile::smile::smile:

May 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #959 of 2,563
Middy, it'd be really helpful if you can give us a step by step tutorial so that we can all try the MOD as soon as the warranty expire :smile::smile::smile:
Lol ring me next April..

Its so good, i only know three people who have tried it including me here, its just so much better.... The guides basically done above.. me working in aerospace electronics wanted to make sure everyone is safe and knows the risks.. cash and safety...
I am so happy with the sound.... love to hear from more people who have tried it so i am not going crazy....

May 18, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #960 of 2,563
"Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp) | Page 9 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum" https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-1-review-balanced-headphone-amp.23365/page-9

Tom Chen the designer doesn't recommend coupling.. But as we have the option we can... later issues wont as this was for testing only.. A new rev pcb probably will not have this option.

Then he needs to keep it and make it sound this good 😁 A great piece of electronics he and his team have designed though..... 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back