Singlepower's Colorado Summer Meet - 7.26.08
Jul 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #121 of 165
I'm interested in attending this meet.

I'm tired of being ignored and lied to by Mikhail. Maybe a face-to-face confrontation is the only way to resolve the problems I'm having with Single Power.

While I'm arguing and fighting with Mikhail, the other attendees might listen to some headphones? I can probably bring up to five.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #122 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait to A/B predator Vs Pico (BTW is that the PICO with or w/o usb) . Also to head Sennheiser HD 600 with Predator vs HD 650's and to hear the AKG K701's with a decent amp. And all headphones with stock vs modified cables. I hope I can determine all of my purchase decisions at this meet.

In addition to HeadphoneAddict's Pico #11, I will also be bringing a Pico w/ DAC - if there was only one Pico at the meet I could foresee an impatient line.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in attending this meet.

I'm tired of being ignored and lied to by Mikhail. Maybe a face-to-face confrontation is the only way to resolve the problems I'm having with Single Power.

While I'm arguing and fighting with Mikhail, the other attendees might listen to some headphones? I can probably bring up to five.

Would be great if you made it out all the way from HK, that would be a hell of a long flight! But I do think this face-to-face confrontation would be a way to solve any problems you're having with him - I don't think patiently waiting for an amp exactly works with Mikhail very well, it's better to talk to him either on the phone or in person and neither can be practically done from HK.
tongue.gif
(Esp with the timezone difference and international phone rates.)

I for one would like to put in a request for any vintage AT woodies you might have, I forgot what you own and your stash isn't listed in your sig or profile. Barring that, maybe the L3000?

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #123 of 165
I've booked my flight but I'm not 100% sure I will go.

I have these AT woodies:
W11JPN
W2002
W5000
W5000 with balanced Enigma Oracle
L3000
L3000 with balanced APureSound

I also have these headphones:
Grado PS-1 with balanced Black Dragon
Grado HP-2
R10 x2 (one with more bass, one with less bass)
Qualia
HE90
HE60 with Stax plug
SR-007 Mk1 and Mk2

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #124 of 165
Wow man if you are showing up I am highly tempted to show up to see my old HE90s and to meet the man who bought them ;p

Buttt it's probably too short notice for me at this point.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #125 of 165
Quote:

I've booked my flight but I'm not 100% sure I will go.

I have these AT woodies:
W11JPN
W2002
W5000
W5000 with balanced Enigma Oracle
L3000
L3000 with balanced APureSound

I also have these headphones:
Grado PS-1 with balanced Black Dragon
Grado HP-2
R10 x2 (one with more bass, one with less bass)
Qualia
HE90
HE60 with Stax plug
SR-007 Mk1 and Mk2

I wouldn't mind hearing the W11JPN since I didn't like the W11R, as well as would like to hear the L3000. I didn't think the W5000 had enough bass with any of my amps. I actually like my current ATH-D1000 optical digital better than the ones I have heard.

I'd also like to hear a Qualia and R10 and SR-007 and 4070. I've heard the PS-1 and wasn't impressed, while the HP-2 I loved but traded to Blutarsky. I would not expect anyone to bring an HE90, but I am bringing my HE60, SR-Lambda Signature, and SR-003.

But, I'd just be happy if you came, even without any headphones!

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #126 of 165
I hope the Stax Mafia isn't monitoring this thread, I forgot to mention the SR-Omega.

There doesn't seem to be any electrostatic amps on the 1st page list. The Aristaeus isn't very big or heavy and should be easy to bring.

If anyone is interested, I also have a pair of Crystal Cable RCA interconnects. After I finish throwing all the Single Power amps at Mikhail, we could have a cable challenge.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #127 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow man if you are showing up I am highly tempted to show up to see my old HE90s and to meet the man who bought them ;p

Haha, that's flattering, but the reality rarely lives up to the legend, you know.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #128 of 165
Oh the Aristaeus would be awesome if you could make it! I hope to have a Stax OII MKII in time for this meet that I would definitely try on it and versus the ES-1.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #129 of 165
Quote:

I hope the Stax Mafia isn't monitoring this thread, I forgot to mention the SR-Omega.

There doesn't seem to be any electrostatic amps on the 1st page list. The Aristaeus isn't very big or heavy and should be easy to bring.

If anyone is interested, I also have a pair of Crystal Cable RCA interconnects. After I finish throwing all the Single Power amps at Mikhail, we could have a cable challenge.

There is supposed to be an ES-1 there. A while back I said I was bringing an HEV70 with STAX pigtail adapter, and more recently said I'd bring an SRD-X for low bias STAX. Lastly, I was able to talk Jack Wu into letting me borrow a Woo GES prototype that is 3 yr old, and I am bringing that.

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #130 of 165
I've decided not to attend this meet.

It was suggested to me, and I think it has some merit, that my intention to confront Mikhail and possibly embarrass him may not be fair to him or to other people attending the meet. I can meet him elsewhere, at another time.

Please excuse my interruption of your thread and I wish you all and Single Power a fun and pleasant meet.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #131 of 165
Quote:

I've decided not to attend this meet.

It was suggested to me, and I think it has some merit, that my intention to confront Mikhail and possibly embarrass him may not be fair to him or to other people attending the meet. I can meet him elsewhere, at another time.

Please excuse my interruption of your thread and I wish you all and Single Power a fun and pleasant meet.

Or, you could come and just try not to embarrass him or yourself and enjoy the meet?

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #132 of 165
It is gratifying that you are still inviting me to attend, thank you.

I admit that my purpose wasn't really to attend the meet itself, but to talk to Mikhail face-to-face with other people present.

Anyway, I suspect that people are less interested in having me there than in listening to headphones.
biggrin.gif

So how about this. I'm willing to send two headphones for the meet and will cover the shipping costs both ways. I consider Asr's reputation trustworthy enough to entrust him with the headphones.

You guys can pick two headphones out of the ones I've mentioned, and also these:

RS-1 with balanced Enigma Oracle
SA5000 with balanced Enigma Oracle
Headphile HF-1
Sony PFR-V1
K1000
Airbow SR-SC1 (a modified SR-404)
Headphile Lambda Pro

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #133 of 165
Has anyone at these meets had a little contest to create the best representation of Live music through any combination of headphone, amplifier, sound source, DAC or analog, and chosen musical work?

I am curious as to just what is possible in the hands of skilled reviewer with an arsenal of goodies at hand.

I think it would be valuable for others to hear what reviewers think is SOTA (state of the art) in the marketplace today.

I used to do this with high end audio- called it the Gilmour Challenge in the 1980's. I typically offered a home tuning package to the winner. For instance some people would select a nice soundstage and detailed piece that lacked a lot of bass to demo Quad ESL's with tubes, or another might use a large format system with Levinson or Krell Amplifiers to demo a Drum solo.

Of course the logistics of doing this with headphones is a lot easier- particularly at a Meet. If this hasn't been done yet.. we could be the first headphone meet to institute a Gilmour Challenge. And for once I would not have to travel around to judge- you could select a panel of say 5 people.

Any cable combo goes too.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #134 of 165
Quote:

So how about this. I'm willing to send two headphones for the meet and will cover the shipping costs both ways. I consider Asr's reputation trustworthy enough to entrust him with the headphones.

You guys can pick two headphones out of the ones I've mentioned, and also these:

Headphile HF-1
Sony PFR-V1
K1000
Headphile Lambda Pro

Well it's too bad you won't be coming, but I understand your reasons. And your offer to send out two headphones for our meet is greatly appreciated, if you're certain you want to do it and you think they'd arrive in time. If so, I'll put in my vote for the W2002 and balanced SA5000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone at these meets had a little contest to create the best representation of Live music through any combination of headphone, amplifier, sound source, DAC or analog, and chosen musical work?

I am curious as to just what is possible in the hands of skilled reviewer with an arsenal of goodies at hand.

I think it would be valuable for others to hear what reviewers think is SOTA (state of the art) in the marketplace today.

I used to do this with high end audio- called it the Gilmour Challenge in the 1980's. I typically offered a home tuning package to the winner. For instance some people would select a nice soundstage and detailed piece that lacked a lot of bass to demo Quad ESL's with tubes, or another might use a large format system with Levinson or Krell Amplifiers to demo a Drum solo.

Of course the logistics of doing this with headphones is a lot easier- particularly at a Meet. If this hasn't been done yet.. we could be the first headphone meet to institute a Gilmour Challenge. And for once I would not have to travel around to judge- you could select a panel of say 5 people.

Any cable combo goes too.

We could certainly do this at the meet, but there's rarely time for organizing a special timeblock for anything like you're suggesting, at a meet that's attended by at least 10 people. It would take a smaller or very specific mini-meet to do what you're suggesting, as I expect the general chaos at this meet likely won't be conducive for an experimental test.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #135 of 165
Quote:

It is gratifying that you are still inviting me to attend, thank you.

I admit that my purpose wasn't really to attend the meet itself, but to talk to Mikhail face-to-face with other people present.

Anyway, I suspect that people are less interested in having me there than in listening to headphones.
biggrin.gif

Headphile HF-1
Sony PFR-V1
K1000
Headphile Lambda Pro

Well, I am bringing Headphile HF-1 and RS-1 with APS V3 cable, meaning possible duplicates.

So I vote Headphile Lambda Pro as my first choice. But second choice is between the K1000 and Airbow SR-SC1 (cryo'd 404, right?). Will any of us have an amp there that can drive K1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back