Singlepower's Colorado Summer Meet - 7.26.08
Jul 4, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #106 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am Almost Certainly coming.

If someone else from Utah wants to attend, and wants to split the cost of gas with me, I can take one passenger. If you live far from Orem, if you can come to me, i live in a good neighborhood where you can park your car well off the street with no fear of anyone messing with your stuff. Or i can pick you up if you live somewhere geographically convenient to the trip.

But you're probably on your own for lodging. I'll be staying with friends in Longmont and can't really promise their hospitality for someone i barely know that they've never met.

My car gets about 30mpg on the freeway (probably less fully-laden) so this could be a cheap way to get there with a fair amount of gear. I can only take one passenger because the back seats are reserved on the drive back for some Ohm Walsh 3 speakers.

Anyway. Preliminary list of cans I'd like to bring:

Yamaha YH-1
Yamaha YH-2 (Potentially - so i have the whole trinity with me)
Yamaha YH-3
Yamaha YH-100

Fostex T20 (version 2)
Fostex T40
Maior RPT-50 (aka Fostex T50v2 - potentially. right now it's at Wualta's lab.)

AKG K240 Sextett middle-production
AKG K240-DF
AKG K260 Pro (maybe)
AKG K340 bass-lite (maybe)

Beyerdynamic DT880-S - so people can hear how far beyer hasn't come since 1980.

The power amp that meshes best with my Sony ECR-500 has developed a fault that i may or may not be able to fix before the meet, so i might not bring an ECR-500. Which would be a shame, because it's one of the best electret headphones ever.

Stax SR-X Mk3
Stax SR-30
Stax SR-80

Stax SRD-7 + Rotel RA-820BX for driving staxen.

Bijou Streamlined Futterman All-Tube OTL
Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III
SOHA v1 (perfboard DIY, with GE gray-plate 5963 + lm4562, to demonstrate synergy with 600-ohm AKGs)

And if i finish building it before the meet, and it's ok with runeight, a prototype Stacker II hybrid headphone amp.

Nice - I look forward to meeting you, and comparing my Yamaha HP-1 with your YH-1. I doubt I will have my SFI drivers mounted in the broken AKG K240 monitor that I bought (shipped today). I may have to have them smeggy-fied.

I suppose I should consider bringing my SR-5NB gold edition, to compare with the SR-X Mk3. I understand the drivers are the same, but the SR-5 gold are supposed to have a better soundstage. Then it's a question of do I bring the SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Signature to bridge the gap between SR-X and HE60? My HEV70 with pigtail adapter can drive pro bias Stax, but Mikhail will also have an ES-1 available for pros. If I bring any normal bias stuff I'll bring an SRD-X transformer with 1/4" plug input.

I may also bring some Headphile HHF-1 #29 that I might wish to sell, and if anyone buys them I would give 10% of the revenue as a donation to Mikhail or to Head-Fi (Asr gets to pick).

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #107 of 165
Why couldnt I live in Denver? :'(

Have a great meet guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #108 of 165
shucks! I will not be able to make it later this month...was looking forward to meeting the colorado bunch and to listen to the Stax...seems like all the jams seem to be raving the stax. between the gas, prices, my daughters summer camp and my wifes recent trip to the Seattle...I am left to sulk here at home...

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #109 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shucks! I will not be able to make it later this month...was looking forward to meeting the colorado bunch and to listen to the Stax...seems like all the jams seem to be raving the stax. between the gas, prices, my daughters summer camp and my wifes recent trip to the Seattle...I am left to sulk here at home...

That sucks.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #110 of 165
Quote:

I may also bring some Headphile HHF-1 #29 that I might wish to sell

What's this? Must've been a typo?

Very bummed to hear that Jackson's GS1K deal went south....

Oh and I am bringing an apogee duet as well...

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #111 of 165
I wonder if I should bring the 3yr old Woo GES prototype that I am going to get on loan for a review soon.

If I like it (or an ES-1) I'd have to sell some HHF-1 to raise some of the funds. Those 5 plane tickets that my wife bought to go to Hawaii on Xmas eve weren't cheap. If my wife only knew what I'd rather do with the money, she'd have killed me... But I can't complain because, "The kids won't remember all the stuff we had when they were young, it's the memories that they'll carry."

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #112 of 165
I'll bring my ears..lol . I also have a 2.6 ghz Macbook pro- a Vestax VCI-100 (Special edition from Japan) midi mixer and Traktor DJ Studio 3 in case anyone wants to play DJ.

Looking to listen to everything! HD 600, HD 650 , MX1, Pico, Predator (burned in and New) and I hope I find something that was beyond my wildest expectations for headphones..I ahven't even heard cross feed yet.

I may have my Denon DCP- 100 and Denon DCP-150 sent here for comparison- or perhaps sale to buy someone's used headphones or amp.

Very excited to go to this. My first headphone Meet. I hope Headphone Addict will be able to bring his apogee mini Dac as that is also a unit I am interested in.

Lastly anyone driving down from the Aspen Area (or anywhere nearby) so I could carpool? My car is getting fitted with a ridiculous audio system at the moment. Scary as that might delay purchases...

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #113 of 165
I'm not sure about the Apogee coming - I really don't want to bring too much stuff, and it's part of my main rig which I am not taking apart, and it has a Sigma 11 PSU that I don't want to see get damaged again like when it shipped to me, etc... So the Marantz with Apogee, Sigma 11, SRM-1 Mk2 Pro and Woo WA6/DV336i were supposed to stay at home so they don't get damaged.

I am bringing the HR Micro DAC which is like 9/10 of the way to the Apogee, but the Apogee is just a little smoother and more flowing musically (a little more analog sounding I suppose?).

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #114 of 165
Apologies for the silence on the promised update on the location last week but Mikhail is tough to get on the phone (heh) and unbeknownst to me, he changed plans with the location, presumably over the holiday weekend.

The location is now the Doubletree Tech Center Hotel instead of one of Singlepower's offices. Detailed info has been updated to post #1. Please note that this hotel is in south Denver, technically in the Greenwood Village area. Mikhail also said that this hotel is a 5-10 minute drive from one of Singlepower's offices and that he plans to offer a tour for everyone coming, since the meet is being held at the hotel now.

The address (and link to the hotel's Web site) has been provided in post #1 so everyone can now mark it down.

A group rate for staying at the hotel is available and will be very inexpensive - let's just say under $60.
smily_headphones1.gif
I need to get a count so anyone interested in taking advantage of this should let me know ASAP.

I know of at least 1 person who'll be flying into DIA, please note that if anyone else is planning to do so, the drive from DIA to the hotel will probably take half an hour or so, mostly on highways. Also FYI, DIA security is very slow, so arriving at least 1.5 hours before a departing flight time is always advisable.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #118 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, mlarn, I'd love to hear your [ak]zip pint!

Also, guys, gotta remove the Graham Slee Solo from the list- got rid of this and it majorly funded the UE9s I just got
smily_headphones1.gif

I just switched the battery on my Pint and I am not getting any sound out of it at all anymore
frown.gif

Hopefully it is just a bad connection or something easy to fix...
And, unfortunately, I need to switch back to a maybe for the meet as we will be just getting back into town and looking for a place to live. Im hoping I can sneak away for a few hours to come test the great gear, but between listening to music and finding a roof to sleep under I have to choose finding a place to live (but BARELY!)
wink.gif

If I dont make it hope you all have a great time and thanks to ASR for putting it together.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #119 of 165
So I bought a Pro Audio RME Fireface 800- and I'm bringing it, just dying to see how it compares to other peoples consumer DACs. And since Headphone addict isn't bringing his apogee Mini DAC... is anyone else- I want to see a shoot out with it?? Personally I typically prefer good consumer High End stuff way over most Pro Audio...but every once in a while there are some really great Pro Pieces out there. Like Bryston Amplifiers (high end too), Urei crossovers, et al.

I'm glad that I might be bringing something of interest. I'd also like to get some peoples opinions about what they think about Traktors SQ compared to iTunes SQ. Is there any difference at all? I can not tell with my lower quality Audio Technica ATHANC7 Active Noise-Canceling Headphones and I am away from my big rig.

I hope the RME works out.. or it is just another thing to Ebay. Along with my Audio Kontrol 1 by Native Instruments.

Can't wait to A/B predator Vs Pico (BTW is that the PICO with or w/o usb) . Also to head Sennheiser HD 600 with Predator vs HD 650's and to hear the AKG K701's with a decent amp. And all headphones with stock vs modified cables. I hope I can determine all of my purchase decisions at this meet.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #120 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I bought a Pro Audio RME Fireface 800- and I'm bringing it, just dying to see how it compares to other peoples consumer DACs. And since Headphone addict isn't bringing his apogee Mini DAC... is anyone else- I want to see a shoot out with it?? Personally I typically prefer good consumer High End stuff way over most Pro Audio...but every once in a while there are some really great Pro Pieces out there. Like Bryston Amplifiers (high end too), Urei crossovers, et al.

I'm glad that I might be bringing something of interest. I'd also like to get some peoples opinions about what they think about Traktors SQ compared to iTunes SQ. Is there any difference at all? I can not tell with my lower quality Audio Technica ATHANC7 Active Noise-Canceling Headphones and I am away from my big rig.

I hope the RME works out.. or it is just another thing to Ebay. Along with my Audio Kontrol 1 by Native Instruments.

Can't wait to A/B predator Vs Pico (BTW is that the PICO with or w/o usb) . Also to head Sennheiser HD 600 with Predator vs HD 650's and to hear the AKG K701's with a decent amp. And all headphones with stock vs modified cables. I hope I can determine all of my purchase decisions at this meet.

It's a Pico with USB DAC, the very same one (S/N #11) that Asr used in the Pico loaner program. My Predator is the very same one that Skylab reviewed at 1100 hours or so of burn-in.

I really don't want to take apart my main rig (with Apogee and Sigma 11) - I have wires and cables all tucked in and properly put away, and it will be a pain to put back together. Besides, I will have so much stuff and nobody to help me load it into my car but a 10yr old kid, who I get to kill if he drops anything.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back