Single Power Mini Tube Amp in the House!
Apr 21, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #61 of 90
It looks like it wants to be a portable...but not really.

I guess it'll make it a bit more practicle to take the SP sound to your office and back, as long as someone comes up with a case of some sort for it, as it seems impracticle to remove the tubes each time you took it anywhere.

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are the dimensions of this thing? Lets see a pic beside some headphones or something for comparison.

It is roughly 4 3/4" x 2 3/4" x 1 3/4". Take a look at the first post. There is a pic of it sitting next to a Micro DAC and an iRiver H140.

Happy Listening!

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #63 of 90
At one time I wondered where the SP developments would end in size and overengineering. Then Mikhail launches this cute little fellow!

I don't follow the forum that much nowadays, but I will certainly come back more often now to see how this one will fare. And of course, it will get a place in The List.

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #64 of 90
I have a probably very stupid question, but I can't figure out why, this obviously not being a portable amp where the DAP will be on top, the line in is in the front panel?
confused.gif
I think I would very much prefer a line in on the back. Or am I missing something?

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a probably very stupid question, but I can't figure out why, this obviously not being a portable amp where the DAP will be on top, the line in is in the front panel?
confused.gif
I think I would very much prefer a line in on the back. Or am I missing something?

It's transportable Kees...
biggrin.gif

But so is my complete system I hope...
I'm moving in a couple of weeks...

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #66 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's transportable Kees...
biggrin.gif

Why does transportable mean the line-in has to be in the front?

Quote:

But so is my complete system I hope...
I'm moving in a couple of weeks...

Leaving Zeeland? Or are you staying in the neighbourhood?

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #67 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does transportable mean the line-in has to be in the front?

Leaving Zeeland? Or are you staying in the neighbourhood?

I was just kiddin'
rs1smile.gif

I don't see the practicality of that particular nice looking little amp for portable use myself, other than pride of ownership...
tongue.gif

I'm moving to a bigger house right here in Terneuzen.
plainface.gif

I needed 5 bedrooms...
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #68 of 90
Maybe it's just me trying to find fault, but the application for this, even when the less unwieldy power supply comes out, isn't really "transportable" it's more of a low-footprint high-quality desktop amp. I mean, with those valves sticking out of the top, you'd have to unplug them (or have a serious case) before you transported it anywhere.

Maybe it would be better to more the input round to the back, and terminate it with RCA plugs.

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #69 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's just me trying to find fault, but the application for this, even when the less unwieldy power supply comes out, isn't really "transportable" it's more of a low-footprint high-quality desktop amp. I mean, with those valves sticking out of the top, you'd have to unplug them (or have a serious case) before you transported it anywhere.

Maybe it would be better to more the input round to the back, and terminate it with RCA plugs.

My thoughts exactly.
I feel less stupid now.
biggrin.gif

In all other respects this amp gives me the distinct feeling I want one...

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

I'm moving to a bigger house right here in Terneuzen.
plainface.gif

I needed 5 bedrooms...
frown.gif

"Needed"? For the next meet you mean?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Needed"? For the next meet you mean?
evil_smiley.gif

I'm sorry, but most of the time the bedrooms will be taken...

But then again, if there was another meet, here in the neighbourhood, and there where more headfiers looking like contrastique, I just might let the kids stay at their grandparents and make an exeption for some...
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small]
I know, I know...
Dirty old dude...
I know...[/size]
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #72 of 90
Quote:

But then again, if there was another meet, here in the neighbourhood, and there where more headfiers looking like contrastique, I just might let the kids stay at their grandparents and make an exeption for some...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Looking at you …
Looking at her …
You could be her dad.
etysmile.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #73 of 90
This little beast reminds me of Voltron or Dinobot/Constructicon Transformers. The PSU is like the base, and the amp is like the control area, able to detach and go out for reconnaissance missions. When the going gets tough, they rejoin to create a super crazy battle machine.

480_vehicles_2.jpg

480_robot.jpg

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #74 of 90
word.

It isn't a portable. Its a transportable. I know someone who takes an earmax pro back and forth to work everyday. This is a substitute for that. Although depending how long the battery life is, you can probably use it on the metro or bus for 15 mins as well.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #75 of 90
sick! i might have to hold off all purchases now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back