Single Power Mini Tube Amp in the House!
Apr 21, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #46 of 90
Sorry if my listening impressions aren't what you expect. I am not really up on all the audiophile terms in describing how music sounds. I am listening to it right now with my HD 580s with the iRiver/Micro DAC combo as a source and it is a little bright but I think that is due to the Micro DAC being a little bright. Plugging the Micro DAC into a Base Station One seems to help address the brightness. I might have mis-spoken a little in my first post as there is still a little touch of the 'veil'. Although it seems to be going away as the tubes warm up.

One of my 'test' albums is Damnation by Opeth which is one of the better recorded melo-death (if you can even classify that particular album as melo-death) albums, IMHO. This little amp makes the HD 580s sounds pretty good and I have never really been a huge Sennheiser fan. The highs are present and are crisp. The mids are not recessed but not too forward. Bass is present as well but not overly so. The guitars sound just like they are supposed to although they can be a little harsh at times but that could be due to the source. All in all it's very musical sounding but a little too polite for this genre of music.

Switching to my RS-2s, Opeth really starts to get my foot tapping. I don't feel like I am on stage with the musicians like I normally do with the RS-2s. It feels to me like first row. The vocals really come out. Percussion and guitar are more forward. The music seems to sound 'clearer' than with the HD 580s. The RS-2s seem to have more bass impact with the Mini than the HD 580s. Switching to Deliverance by Opeth, the Mini really starts making the RS-2s work. I feel the need to head bang.
rockdevil.gif

I will post some more impressions with different music out of my my main rig as a source soon.

Happy Listening!

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #47 of 90
Ok, it is new... and neat... but am I the only one who is confused here?

It is great work, but what is the application? If this is supposed to be transportable, why the huge PSU? If it is a home amp, why subminiature tubes? Is there a technical merit [other than long life] to justify using them?

Sorry if that came across as negative, it was not meant that way. I just think that I must be missing something here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will have one of these hopefully next week. This little amp is even more powerful than the 5687 equipped PPX3 /MPX3 SLAM amps.
cool.gif

Earl, my question is, what % of output do you get just running on batteries compared with the PPX3 SLAM?

The sole purpose of getting one of these for me would be for portable use and I'm wondering how the portable sound is on the amp.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #49 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is great work, but what is the application? If this is supposed to be transportable, why the huge PSU? If it is a home amp, why subminiature tubes? Is there a technical merit [other than long life] to justify using them?

Sorry if that came across as negative, it was not meant that way. I just think that I must be missing something here.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO, it is intended to be transportable when the battery power supply is available. In addition, Mikhail said he was working on getting a smaller power supply for people that want the amp for travel. The huge power supply is typical Single Power and is perfect for at home or the office. It would be pretty easy to transport it from home to office or wherever if you have multiple power supplies.

I purchased it for travel and transportability with the upcoming battery pack. It will be perfect for listening in a hotel room and will be much easier than hauling around a PPX3 or a Darkvoice!

Happy Listening!

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #50 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earl, my question is, what % of output do you get just running on batteries compared with the PPX3 SLAM?

The sole purpose of getting one of these for me would be for portable use and I'm wondering how the portable sound is on the amp.

This is not a portable but a transportable amp from my understanding. Even the battery power supply will be for home use.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #51 of 90
My wallet is weeping in tears! Ouch.

If the small size of the amp with power supply is on the level of good $600 average size amp, I would maybe probably consider it. I love the small size.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #52 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wallet is weeping in tears! Ouch.

If the small size of the amp with power supply is on the level of good $600 average size amp, I would maybe probably consider it. I love the small size.

Oh, it's easily at that level. I will go as far as saying that, IMHO, it is on the level of 1k+ amps and is a fraction of the size! I wasn't planning on buying one until I made the 'mistake' of listening to it when I was at Single Power picking up my Extreme. My wallet is hurting and is in hiding at the moment.

Happy Listening!

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #53 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I know the amp was envisioned as a transportable amp and for applications where space is at a premium. He is working on a smaller, lighter, less costly power supply to that end.

He couldnt find a wall wart type supply that would meet his standards so he started with a HUGE power supply for the best sound quality @ home or work. I dont know but I suspect the upgrade power supply was originally to come later not sooner.

Why subminatures .... because they sound great and the 5987 x 2 per side he is using will put out more power than a single 5687. So you get high power and the SP sound quality out of an extremely small footprint amp.

Finally, these are my opinions and I could be wrong.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, it's easily at that level. I will go as far as saying it is on the level of 1k+ amps and is a fraction of the size! My wallet is hurting and is in hiding at the moment.

Happy Listening!

Wow. If that is even near the truth, that is pretty cutting edge and amazing.
For people living in areas where space is precious like small rooms, offices and apartments, this would be a new revolution in technology.

In the world of tiny powerful units like the Tomahawk and Hornets, this would be very attractive for tiny spaced audiophiles.

BTW, give your wallet a hug for condolence.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #56 of 90
a good example of how seriously Mikhail takes power supplies.

I am not in the market for a transportable amp, but it is great to see the innovation coming out of Singlepower.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #58 of 90
One thing I just realized is that if this "transportable" performs as well or better than its larger brethren, then I may jump back into the market, as I realize that my son is less likely to smash it to bits, god bless him.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, very nice indeed. I almost thought that it was intended to be transportable until I saw that power supply
basshead.gif
Where is the amp supposed to sit in Single Power's line up, and what's the price? And on a side note, does Single Power have a site that lists some of their more recent models, specifically the Extreme and the ES-1? On Single Power.com they still only have the PPX3 up to the Maestro, but I know that there are many other models in existence.

I've found that it is more useful to email or call for pricing and model info. Ask for the spreadsheet describing all models and options (and even that isn't exhaustive), then give a call if you need further customization/advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back