Single most expensive piece of audio equipment you own?
Jan 28, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #107 of 173
I would say my speakers Piega C8lts which cost me 13k.

But after thinking about it My HE90/Hev90 cost me a extra 10grand for the new bedroom set I had to buy after my wife opened up the wire transfer reciept the bank sent to the house & she saw how much I spent on the HE90/hev90.
frown.gif

I kind of did need a new bedroom set
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #108 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But after thinking about it My HE90/Hev90 cost me a extra 10grand for the new bedroom set I had to buy after my wife opened up the wire transfer reciept the bank sent to the house & she saw how much I spent on the HE90/hev90.
frown.gif

That sounds oddly familiar.
confused_face.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #109 of 173
I have a Philips LHH1000 cd player (2 box system--separate transport and dac each weighitng 30 lbs). It's price in 1988 was $4,000.00 US. Only 500 were made in the Marantz factory in Japan. Design by Ken Ishiwata, I think. Some were sold as the Marantz 12 LE. The Philips LHH1000 is a rebadged Marantz 12 LE. I couldn't afford the $7,500.00 modification.

I have yet to hear a CD player that is as musical as the LHH1000. It's just amazing.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #111 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not from San Fransisco, but I do end up spending quite a bit of time down there because there is the best doctor in the world for my medical condition. What is the 'non-tourist' way to say San Fransisco?
biggrin.gif

The city, I think. There may be other terms as well.

Quote:

Also, this just keeps nagging at me. It seems like if you spent 60k on speakers you'd spend more time on a Speaker-Fi forum.
biggrin.gif
Do you?

I used to spend a lot of time (and money) hanging out at Audiogon. But at this point in time, I'm all set with my speaker system. I doubt that I'll ever want to change a single thing in terms of the gear that I'm using. I do like to keep up on what's new in a loose sort of way, but not at all for gear shopping.

Head-Fi has sort of become a home away from home for me, mostly in terms of the people. But there is always new gear to check out and discuss as well. Just as with speakers, I'll never have any need to buy new headphones. Yet, they're a lot cheaper, easier to store, and easier to use in multiple systems, so the interest to experiment will always be there.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #114 of 173
Hahaha, interesting. I took a quick look at Audiogon and it appears there Are no headphones there, tis a shame. At there any other places than here to buy and sell headphones?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The city, I think. There may be other terms as well.

I used to spend a lot of time (and money) hanging out at Audiogon. But at this point in time, I'm all set with my speaker system. I doubt that I'll ever want to change a single thing in terms of the gear that I'm using. I do like to keep up on what's new in a loose sort of way, but not at all for gear shopping.

Head-Fi has sort of become a home away from home for me, mostly in terms of the people. But there is always new gear to check out and discuss as well. Just as with speakers, I'll never have any need to buy new headphones. Yet, they're a lot cheaper, easier to store, and easier to use in multiple systems, so the interest to experiment will always be there.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #118 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and because I don't have the bank account to buy those 60k speakers, my opinion and reasoning is invalid. You remind me of other people on the internet who try to tell me I'm wrong about automobiles just because I don't drive something expensive. >rolls eyes<

The point is, is that it really is pointless to have something that high end in such an awful environment. The guy may as well have something cheaper, with all those reflections the accuracy of such a system is completely lost. I appreciate high end stuff, but in that environment, it negates the greatness of the components.

In a recording studio acoustic treatment is critical! In a home setup, not so critical, and to gauge what needs to be done you have to judge each environment by being in it and er...listening! visited the Cayman Islands recently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back