Single most expensive piece of audio equipment you own?
Jan 26, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #16 of 173
$285 for my new DAC. Not too bad compared to others but I am afraid this may just be the tip of a very expensive iceberg.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #18 of 173
That would be my speakers! MBL 101E.

Don't want to say what I paid for them but they now retail for $60k. After that, the next most expensive things were my MBL amps, then the MBL front end, then the MBL preamp. Each of those 4 purchases were made one at a time over a 2 1/2 year period because there was no way I could sallow it all in one gulp. None of my headphone stuff even comes close, including the HE90/HEV90 purchase or the SDS-XLR.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #19 of 173
akg 1000 which usually goes for more than 1k and I got it for $500
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I've always wanted Grados, and I've been lusting for their past and current flagships (PS1, HP1000/2, GS1000, and so on). Your GS1000s certainly weren't overpriced on your end. How do they sound, by the way?
icon10.gif

Why don't you deserve them? Are you a hoodlum?

I don't deserve them because I'm not exactly in a place of need, coming from a very fortunate family. I'm a kid in a situation where if I bugged my parents enough, which I would never do because I know my father works hard for his money (although it's plentiful
biggrin.gif
) I could probably get them anyways after enough nagging. Honestly I'd rather them go to some kid who loves audio but couldn't afford a pair of PortaPros, but I don't think I'm a good enough person to let go of them.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

They sound AWESOME, btw. I love them, more so than my PRO900s, which I LOVE as well. However, I have one of those ears that only picks out good things, rather than bad things, well except Dose
biggrin.gif
. (Which I very much like having. (The ear NOT Bose.
biggrin.gif
) ) Wow I just did parens inside of parens.

Anyways...The PS1 and the HP1000s have always interested me so much because I love the thought of a kind of 'underground' headphone, like one that was never intended to be here.

But yeah, I really like the GS-1000 and personally don't think it's overpriced a bit.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be my speakers! MBL 101E.

Don't want to say what I paid for them but they now retail for $60k. After that, the next most expensive things were my MBL amps, then the MBL front end, then the MBL preamp. Each of those 4 purchases were made one at a time over a 2 1/2 year period because there was no way I could sallow it all in one gulp. None of my headphone stuff even comes close, including the HE90/HEV90 purchase or the SDS-XLR.

Sweet Jesus man, I'm going to go ahead and assume you're in the Caymans because you are a retired billionaire.
biggrin.gif
I envy your Orpheus so much, and if I'm ever in the Caymans I HIGHLY suggest you bullet proof your windows and lock your doors....and reinforce your walls possibly?

But in all seriousness, I hate you.
biggrin.gif

Oh and if you're ever in the mood, I'll trade my GS-1000 for your Orpheus!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #26 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1gb sd chip for mp3's $10.00
JVC marshmellows $10.00
MP3 player built into cell phone...just insert sd chip
Do I win the High End Prize???

Either you're joking, or you actually spent more money donating to this site ($20 minimum) than you have on any single audio purchase. If the second is true, I salute you with a tremendous LAWL!

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #27 of 173
I'm pretty lucky that my most expensive piece of audio equipment (singular
smily_headphones1.gif
) is my Westone 3, which was purchased for $270.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #28 of 173
Retail on an Orbe with an SME IV is about $9,500. But I didn't pay retail.
wink.gif

I'm on the verge of sinking a large chunk of cash into a pair of Linkwitz Orion+ loudspeakers. The drivers alone are almost $2,000 shipped. Another $1,000 to do the active crossover right, at least $1,600 on amplification (they need eight channels) and $500-$2,000 for the cabinets. Maybe a little cheaper since I already have a beautiful stick of purpleheart I might resaw for the cabinets.

There will be 40-60 hours of sweat equity put into the Orions, too. It's an investment, but less expensive than commercial units of similar quality. I especially like that their open baffle design lets you use solid wood instead of ply or MDF.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #30 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Retail on an Orbe with an SME IV is about $9,500. But I didn't pay retail.
wink.gif

I'm on the verge of sinking a large chunk of cash into a pair of Linkwitz Orion+ loudspeakers. The drivers alone are almost $2,000 shipped. Another $1,000 to do the active crossover right, at least $1,600 on amplification (they need eight channels) and $500-$2,000 for the cabinets. Maybe a little cheaper since I already have a beautiful stick of purpleheart I might resaw for the cabinets.

There will be 40-60 hours of sweat equity put into the Orions, too. It's an investment, but less expensive than commercial units of similar quality. I especially like that their open baffle design lets you use solid wood instead of ply or MDF.

*******. That's some intense stuff. I'd never trust myself doing any sort of DIY with audio, or actually building stuff. My DIY abilities extend to building my computer with pre-made parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back