Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Sep 17, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #136 of 461
it's been reported by ALO that the lineout on the new touch doesn't work properly without an iphone LOD instead of a regular ipod LOD...for those who have the new touch and an LOD can you confirm this?

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #137 of 461
Just tested out the new Touch today with my E4cs and they sound pretty good.
icon10.gif
Need to get mine delivered so I can test them out more.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #138 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's been reported by ALO that the lineout on the new touch doesn't work properly without an iphone LOD instead of a regular ipod LOD...for those who have the new touch and an LOD can you confirm this?

do you ahve a link?

EDIT, nevermind, found it

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #139 of 461
I really want to pick up the new nano, but I have a few questions left.
Can someone please make it clear if the new nano sounds better then the 80GB classic?
Also, can someone tell me if the touch sound better than the nano or is it the other way? thanks.

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #140 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do a comparison between the 1st Gen and the 2nd Gen. I'm deciding between the 1st Gen refur and the 2nd Gen.

I was tossing up between that as well, but decided to go with a new touch due to the bug fixes and other good stuff like that. Also, the first gen touch sounded rubbish, and having tried out the 4th gen nano, if the touch sounds as good as that (which it apparently does), than it will definitely be money well spent.

Go on, be brave
tongue_smile.gif
You only live once

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #141 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea, you need an iPhone LOD if you are using an iPhone, however all other Apple iPods/iTouch pinoiys have not changed.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #142 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by minjae0810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want to pick up the new nano, but I have a few questions left.
Can someone please make it clear if the new nano sounds better then the 80GB classic?
Also, can someone tell me if the touch sound better than the nano or is it the other way? thanks.

My listening trial with Shure SE530's

New Nano sounds better than the 80/160GB Classic and the new Touch sounds better than both.

The new Touch has no (or very little) noise, wider more open sound stage and better bass.

I've used or tried other apple, Walkman & creative players and the new Touch with no EQ sounds better than any of them to my ears with the 530's (don't normally use EQ or like excessive bass).

Well pleased with my 32GB 2nd gen Touch
biggrin.gif

Also, with as supplied firmware on the Touch I've had no problem connecting to my works WPA-PSK encrypted wireless.

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #143 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by psikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My listening trial with Shure SE530's

New Nano sounds better than the 80/160GB Classic and the new Touch sounds better than both.

The new Touch has no (or very little) noise, wider more open sound stage and better bass.

I've used or tried other apple, Walkman & creative players and the new Touch with no EQ sounds better than any of them to my ears with the 530's (don't normally use EQ or like excessive bass).

Well pleased with my 32GB 2nd gen Touch
biggrin.gif

Also, with as supplied firmware on the Touch I've had no problem connecting to my works WPA-PSK encrypted wireless.

So, in SQ, Classic [80/160]< Nano 4G< Touch 2G?

Wow, touch must have improved a lot!
I bought one but then I returned it because it hissed and it sounded horrible
regular_smile .gif

I'm not really interested in the touch because I own an iPhone, but could you tell me if the touch sounds WAYY better then the nano or if it's only just a small, tiny difference you wouldn't mind...?

Also, I have a Walkman NWZ-A726, and I've done that little DAC setting tweak
and I use it with the Custom EQ of +2, +2, +1, 0, +2, +1.
I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, but does the nano sound better than the walkman?
If you have a different Walkman could you just tell me your opinion just based on your walkman?
Or if it's not better, how much worse does it sound? Because the classic I have sounds worse than the Walkman..
I'm definitely going to get a nano soon, since I just don't have enough money right now..
frown.gif

And it's driving me crazy and making me curious. I'm so looking forward to getting one!

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #144 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, you need an iPhone LOD since the pinouts have changed.

The pinouts have not changed, still the same pin 2,3,4 for the iphone LineOut. It's just that you need to solder additional 2 pin to trigger the iphone to route the audio to the line out instead of the headphone jack/speaker.

An iPhone dock should work fine with any ipods as i have tested them myself.

hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #145 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by minjae0810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, in SQ, Classic [80/160]< Nano 4G< Touch 2G?

could you tell me if the touch sounds WAYY better then the nano or if it's only just a small, tiny difference you wouldn't mind...?

Also, I have a Walkman NWZ-A726, and I've done that little DAC setting tweak
and I use it with the Custom EQ of +2, +2, +1, 0, +2, +1.
I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, but does the nano sound better than the walkman?
If you have a different Walkman could you just tell me your opinion just based on your walkman?
Or if it's not better, how much worse does it sound? Because the classic I have sounds worse than the Walkman..
I'm definitely going to get a nano soon, since I just don't have enough money right now..
frown.gif

And it's driving me crazy and making me curious. I'm so looking forward to getting one!

To be honest, what people prefer in SQ really means you'll have to go & try one out, but....

The 2nd gen touch is "slightly" better (or different sounding) to the new Nano but I'd say significantly better than the old classic.

As to the Walkman, with no EQ on both I'd say there more or less as good as each other but if you want more bass using EQ etc. then the Walkman is still better.

I originally got rid of my 2nd gen Nano because when I bought the Shure SE530's it made me realise how poor it sounded (muffled & lacking bass) compared to the A828 type Walkmans.

I really have trouble moving from Apple devices because I make heavy use of Autoplaylists & rely totally on the 5 star rating system to keep only the music I want on the iPod. The new Nano & Touch have brought good SQ back to the iPod and I think you'll find either a stepped improvement of whats gone before.

One thing I did find strange with the Nano is that I had to have the Nano on around 75% volume to be decent which is unusual for the sensitive Shures as on the old Nano 1st/2nd gen I could have it at around 50% ( possibly EU sound limit restrications). I even tried the included Apple earplugs and could have that a 100% and still only just loud enough for me. In contrast, at 55% the new Touch is loud for me and I can't bare to listen for more than a few seconds at the 70% mark
eek.gif
I'm sure my head would explode if I tried it at 100% with the Shures
biggrin.gif

PS , I did put volume limit option to max allowable on the Nano.

BUT.........

There are some songs that I've never heard play as well as they do on my 2nd gen Touch with SE530's (even Walkman!!). I'm really impressed with this combination.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #146 of 461
Hi there!
I presently use a Sony NWZ A-818 and like it a lot with a flat EQ. However, I am toying with the idea of buying the 2nd gen touch (amonst other reasons because of its higher capacity and integrated browser). While that additional storage space is certainly tempting I would not want to sacrifice any SQ. So, your thoughts on this are highly welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #147 of 461
okay. SO the new ipods sound (almost) as good as the sony line-up.

Now my big question is how do the new Nano and Touch compare to the iPhone 3G.

It seems the touch resembles the iPhone in a lot of ways so I'm wondering if they'd sound the same too.

if not I might get a Nano or touch.

rgds

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #148 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Winter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there!
I presently use a Sony NWZ A-818 and like it a lot with a flat EQ. However, I am toying with the idea of buying the 2nd gen touch (amonst other reasons because of its higher capacity and integrated browser). While that additional storage space is certainly tempting I would not want to sacrifice any SQ. So, your thoughts on this are highly welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

All I can add to what I said above is that when I got my Shure SE530's (first quality headphones I've owned) and listened to my 2nd gen Nano I didn't have a great feeling & wondered what all the fuss was about with the Shures.

I then tried them with a Walkman and was immediately amazed at the difference in sound quality and promptly sold my Nano looking for another player. I decided to wait until the new Apples came out and I've got that good feeling again
bigsmile_face.gif

I can't honestly say the new Touch is better than the Walkman but equally I don't consider it a backward step in SQ either. For some of the tracks I've been listening to today for the first time with this combination, I heard more detail with perfect bass (not overpowering) than I've heard before with any other player and no background hiss at all.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #149 of 461
Reports of the second-gen Touch is seriously swaying me to get a 16GB on for $329. Was thinking of getting a first-gen refurb 32GB for $339, but if the SQ is an improvement from the first to second gen, might as well bite the bullet for less memory.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #150 of 461
Well I just picked up my touch 2nd gen today and must say I'm pretty amazed and mad at the same time! First the thing seems even more sexy than the fist. The thinness and stainless even give it a better feel than the first, also the screen looks a tad better also (doesn't wash out at quite so little an angle). The buttons also feel a little better to me especially the home button. Anyways the build quality is amazing. The sound is also amazing, no hiss at all with my shure 530s and the bass and treble sound better. Like less of a haze on the sound, very very nice, headroom- soundstage seems a little better as well as instrument separation, The fist gen sounds a little "warmer" but I like the extra clarity
biggrin.gif

Now to the piss me off part, as reported earlier the old dock connectors will not work, so my 90.00 ALO dock is useless with this. If I want to use my amp with this I have to buy an another dock $$
angry_face.gif
Plus I have an ipod cable in the car which doesn't work with my new touch either. However I love the sound a lot and will probably buy the 16 gig nano, which I assume I can use with my car dock and cyro dock. Honestly it sounds so good from the HO I might not even use my amp, one things for sure you will see a 16 gig 1st gen for sale (with apps lol) very soon and maybe a sony nwa 818 also, plus maybe and iqube. Not so much the iqube
icon10.gif

I will take some comparism pics of the two 1st gen - 2nd gen later. I'm listening to "Trains" by porcupine tree right now on the new touch and it sounds amazing! and I know this song inside and out, the acoustic guitar sounds breathtaking.

Pics:
Picture004-5.jpg

Picture005-5.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

And yes thats glad wrap until I get a case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back