Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Sep 10, 2008 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 461

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
The other thread is too general and full of mostly conjecture that happened before today's announcement so I'm starting this thread for people who want to tell us if the new Apple players sound any good.

I think there's a good chance SQ went down, seeing their price points.

So, when you get them, tell us how they sound.
popcorn.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 461
Just got a 16 GB ipod touch 2G from my local Apple Store. After listening about 2 songs, i am really surprised how well the new generation of touches sound. Now i'm not really an audiophile, so i don't know any lingo, but pairing my touch 2g with my shure SE530, it sounds really really good. I would say a lot better than the 1st generation touches which i had last year, and almost up to par with my current Sony Walkman A818. As an added bonus, there is very little hiss with my SE530/Touch 2G combo.

There's a lot more bass than previous generation of Ipod touches, it seems.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes hiss reports paired with IEMs please (without an amp preferable)

I only have the Shure SE530, but yea definitely a lot less hiss than my SE630/SonyA818 combo.

Also, sidenote, but the back of my touch seems to be more durable than 1st gen, it still attracts a lot of fingerprints, but may be more resistant to scratches.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a 16 GB ipod touch 2G from my local Apple Store. After listening about 2 songs, i am really surprised how well the new generation of touches sound. Now i'm not really an audiophile, so i don't know any lingo, but pairing my touch 2g with my shure SE530, it sounds really really good. I would say a lot better than the 1st generation touches which i had last year, and almost up to par with my current Sony Walkman A818. As an added bonus, there is very little hiss with my SE530/Touch 2G combo.

There's a lot more bass than previous generation of Ipod touches, it seems.

How does the bass compare to the Sony with clearbass set to +2? If the iPod touch has no hiss and has bass compareable to the Sony A8xx at +2 on clearbass, I might have to return my A829.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the bass compare to the Sony with clearbass set to +2? If the iPod touch has no hiss and has bass compareable to the Sony A8xx at +2 on clearbass, I might have to return my A829.

the touch2g can't compare to +2 clearbass, i would say probably +1 or 0 clearbass. (I never turned on clearbass, it was nice, but too much for me). The hiss is almost inaudible though.

So the bass is definitely substantial, about the default EQ of the sony A8 series, Its not going be as much as +x clearbass. I mainly listen to R&B/Rap, and i can say that the bass is enough (keep in mind i'm using the Shure E530).

BTW, using the EQ 'bass boost' is absolutely crap (distortion) on the touch (same with all other ipods)

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 461
Quote:

the touch2g can't compare to +2 clearbass, i would say probably +1 or 0 clearbass. (I never turned on clearbass, it was nice, but too much for me). The hiss is almost inaudible though.

Thanks for the response. Why oh why can't Apple just add a decent EQ to their iPods? I like all the features of the touch, but the lack of bass is holding me back.
frown.gif

Guess I'll keep waiting for a 64gb Touch and enjoy my A829, but wow, I'm so tempted to get the new touch.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response. Why oh why can't Apple just add a decent EQ to their iPods? I like all the features of the touch, but the lack of bass is holding me back.
frown.gif

Guess I'll keep waiting for a 64gb Touch and enjoy my A829, but wow, I'm so tempted to get the new touch.

I love this new player, the hiss was really annoying my on my A818. now that SQ is decent, its a winner in my books.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by insicor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a FiiO amp if you want more bass.
biggrin.gif
Also I take it the headphone jack isn't recessed?

It looks partially recessed to me. Not a big deal for me since i have the SE530s.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 461
Quote:

It looks partially recessed to me. Not a big deal for me since i have the SE530s.

Dammit that kinda sucks. Does that mean it can't fit my E4cs?
confused.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 461
the new touch should be very similar to the iphone: the new iphone is purported to be great even with triple fi 11. my touch 1g hisses much less than my sony 828 or 615, so having less hiss than those on the shure e500 or 530 is not something that surprises me. i cannot listen to my sony at all because of hiss without an er4p to s adapter.

i am very intrigued to have a listen to the ipod.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 461
I am really looking forward to what the big head-fiers will say about the new Nano, from LOD as well. It seems to me the former generations of Nano were not that well thought of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back