Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Sep 16, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #121 of 461
I'll still be very happy w/my Touch. And the SQ is supposed to be excellent - too many vouch for that to think otherwise. Even the guys at work say this model is supposed to be tha' SHIZZLE!!! I'm on it - too bad MS screwed up on what could have been an amazing update - FOR ME!!!

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #124 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just put a sticker on it or something.

Doesn't quite have the same effect! Engrave it I say!
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #126 of 461
I went to BestBuy yesterday to check out the new nanos. I was interested in picking up a 16GB one if the sound was a improvement over my 3g. But after handling one, I didn't like the feel of the sharp corners in my hands! Anyone else notice this? I'd hate to get jabbed by accident with one. On the bright side, it could be used as a weapon while jogging. There wasn't any music on the demos either to check out the sound. I think I'll wait till some more reviews come out, before I check them out again. So unless the sound is a noticeable improvement and they come out with some good cases, I'll stick with the 3g until the 5g comes out!

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #127 of 461
Talking UK versions here:

Had a play with Red Nano 8GB for wife then found out they've moved the 3.5mm hole again nearer to the dock connector. The wife loves the Apple Nano Lanyard Headphones (
confused_face(1).gif
) which she uses with her old 1st Gen Nano while doing housework. The Lanyard will work with the 3rd gen but not the 4th so it looks like I'll have to try & get her a 3rd gen.

Anyway, my 4th visit to the Apple store this week & each time I asked if the 32GB Touch was available and each time it was a no (even this morning).

Went back this afternoon for a refund on the Nano and low & behold they had a single 32GB Touch in store

Decided to spend the extra so I'm now the proud owner of a 32GB Touch. Now dare I get it out of the packaging before I have a case to put it in

::LATER::

One thing I've noticed straight away.

With the 4th gen Nano with Volume Limit set to Max allowable the Shure SE530's needed to be on about 75% for my usual listening volume which is strange as these are much more sensitive than normal earphones (equivalent to about 50% on wifes Nano 1st gen). I then tried the include Apple ones and could have them at full & didn't sound loud enough.

Just tried the Touch straight out of the Box and 50% default volume is loud enough for me & can't go above around 65% or I'd get ear damage

Other thing but this does seem strange based on reviews I've read, the 2nd gen Touch sounds even better than the 4th Gen Nano to my ears ??? Whether its because it has a more powerful amp to drive my Shures I don't know.

Not had that many mp3 players (no Cowon for me) but have tried the Walkman & Creative range and the combination of this 2nd Gen Touch & Shure SE530's sounds truly awesome... put a right smile on my face

This thing cost me £289 so dread to think what a 64GB would have cost if launched this time. Would have been outside my "comfort" price range for sure.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #128 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by psikey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking UK versions here:

Had a play with Red Nano 8GB for wife then found out they've moved the 3.5mm hole again nearer to the dock connector. The wife loves the Apple Nano Lanyard Headphones (
confused_face(1).gif
) which she uses with her old 1st Gen Nano while doing housework. The Lanyard will work with the 3rd gen but not the 4th so it looks like I'll have to try & get her a 3rd gen.

Anyway, my 4th visit to the Apple store this week & each time I asked if the 32GB Touch was available and each time it was a no (even this morning).

Went back this afternoon for a refund on the Nano and low & behold they had a single 32GB Touch in store

Decided to spend the extra so I'm now the proud owner of a 32GB Touch. Now dare I get it out of the packaging before I have a case to put it in

::LATER::

One thing I've noticed straight away.

With the 4th gen Nano with Volume Limit set to Max allowable the Shure SE530's needed to be on about 75% for my usual listening volume which is strange as these are much more sensitive than normal earphones (equivalent to about 50% on wifes Nano 1st gen). I then tried the include Apple ones and could have them at full & didn't sound loud enough.

Just tried the Touch straight out of the Box and 50% default volume is loud enough for me & can't go above around 65% or I'd get ear damage

Other thing but this does seem strange based on reviews I've read, the 2nd gen Touch sounds even better than the 4th Gen Nano to my ears ??? Whether its because it has a more powerful amp to drive my Shures I don't know.

Not had that many mp3 players (no Cowon for me) but have tried the Walkman & Creative range and the combination of this 2nd Gen Touch & Shure SE530's sounds truly awesome... put a right smile on my face

This thing cost me £289 so dread to think what a 64GB would have cost if launched this time. Would have been outside my "comfort" price range for sure.

Oh dear me! looks like I may have to sell my 1st gen touch and take a beating
very_evil_smiley.gif
I idid it! ordered a 32 gig from amazon, so unless the LO is worse than the 1st gen you will see a 16 gig first gen for sale very cheap!

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #129 of 461
SQ aside, anyone having problems with wifi and WPA? Seems some new Touch buyers (and those who upgraded their 1st gen Touch) with 2.1 software (which comes standard on new Touches) are having problems connecting to their home wireless if they use WPA security, which I do (and have a Touch 8GB on the way). I probably won't use the wifi feature at home much, if at all, since I have four connected computers, but hope it works anyway. Back to thread topic, SQ.

For more, visit
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....03504&tstart=0

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #130 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh dear me! looks like I may have to sell my 1st gen touch and take a beating
very_evil_smiley.gif
I idid it! ordered a 32 gig from amazon, so unless the LO is worse than the 1st gen you will see a 16 gig first gen for sale very cheap!

Please do a comparison between the 1st Gen and the 2nd Gen. I'm deciding between the 1st Gen refur and the 2nd Gen.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #131 of 461
the 2nd gen has a built-in speaker, tactile volume controls, a faster smoother os, future compatibility with a mic input, and better sq.

I hear NO static or fuzz with my new touch on my sf5p and they are pretty sensitive iem's.

that's my input.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #132 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 2nd gen has a built-in speaker, tactile volume controls, a faster smoother os, future compatibility with a mic input, and better sq.

I hear NO static or fuzz with my new touch on my sf5p and they are pretty sensitive iem's.

that's my input.

Thanks for sharing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you previously have a 1st Gen iPod Touch? If you do, can you compare how different they both sound?

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #133 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do a comparison between the 1st Gen and the 2nd Gen. I'm deciding between the 1st Gen refur and the 2nd Gen.

Will do
icon10.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #134 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you previously have a 1st Gen iPod Touch? If you do, can you compare how different they both sound?

no, i never owned a first gen, but I listened to my friends's ipod touches and to me it sounds like the new ipod has a wider soundstage and more openness.

I said in another thread that my new touch makes it seem like all other ipods' sound was run through a box before it came to the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back