Siberia v2 vs Audio Technica M50 vs A700!! (Budget < $130) - Ordered JVC HARX900
Apr 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

proxycon

New Head-Fier
Hi All, Greetings. This is my first expensive headphone purchase! Till now I was using $20 Sony earbuds. My Primary requirement is Movies(40%), Gaming(40%), Music(20%). I am not an audiophile. I have narrowed down the choices to two headphones:
1. Steelseries Siberia v2 ( again USB vs non- USB??! )
2. Audio Technica ATH A700

What I have gathered in information is that Siberias are 32ohm units and A700s are 64ohm based. I currently own two business laptop one running XP(Dell Latitude D630) and another running Win7(Toshiba Portege R700). I am not sure about the sound card quality of either. Toshiba one is this year's product against old Dell. I will be using my headphone with these two laptops only. I have a recent built $1500 PC in India and planning to take my headphones to use with them next year ( so no gaming for a year). And purchasing these headphones are damn expensive in India.

My question is do I need to purchase separate Fiio E5 amps to leverage the potential of these cans from whatever my Laptop's sound card offer?

Qualities present should be - Good soundstage, good bass, portability is not a factor, my iPod should be able to drive it.

I am open to suggestions for considering different headphones also.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 11
I recommend the Audio Technica M50 for your budget and purposes. A lot of praise for it on these forums, and I have personally listened to them and they are very competent for the price. $118 on Amazon, which falls within your budget.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 11
If you are in the US, and don't mind ringing around, you can probably pick up a Shure SRH840 for just on $130.  I paid US $129 for mine last month.  That's well under the listed price - and is a steal for a really good can.  I've listened to both the M50 and SRH840 - and my personal preference was for the 840.  It depends on what you like.  I found the 840 more neutral/balanced, with better mids.  Bass and highs are nicely balanced IMO.  The M50 has a little more bass presence and is a little more 'sparkly' in the highs.  Both are really good cans for their respective pricing.

If you have the chance though - I'd suggest getting to a store and trying them out first - especially the SRH840.  You get mixed reviews on their comfort.  Some people have found their headband uncomfortable, and they are weighty.  Personally - I find them extremely comfortable - but I'd suggest finding out for yourself if you can.

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for a great suggestion!. It seems to be non existent for online shopping at the price you have mentioned on amazon or newegg :frowning2:!.. From where did you steal such a sweet deal.!?

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 11
You need to ring around.  I'm at work at the moment - but I'll double check when I get home.  A few ideas you can try ....
J&R - http://www.jr.com/
B&H - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Northern Sound & Light - http://www.northernsound.net/
Headroom - http://www.headphone.com/

I know NS&L was one of the companies who often have quite good street prices.  With all of them, just mention that a fellow head-fier had purchased the Shures for $130 - and can they price match (or can they give best price)?

I would encourage you to demo them for comfort first - if you can.

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 11
Apr 20, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 11
PLEASE, do NOT buy the siberias. They are so incredibly bad. They're made for nothing else then gaming. Even for that I don't really enjoy them.

The isolation is non-existent because there is NO clamping force on your ears. The bass is aswell non-existent. Also for portability they're pretty ugly aswell.

If you're able too, check out the v-mode Crossfade LP, they have an extreme bass which I love, although it's your choice :)

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 11
Hey All, I suddenly realized that :
1. I will not be using my headphone for gaming for atleast 6 months.
2. I am not an audio purist.
3. I do not have any DVD player/TV set up.
4. I will use headphones only for watching Netflix online/DVD rental movies on my laptop.
5. I can get $200 - $300 headphones ( Maybe Astro A40) when I am returning to India after 6 months.

:) So I went ahead and ordered JVC HA-RX900 and Fioo E5 (58+21 = $79 - shipping included) on amazon!! Waiting for them to arrive! Will post a mini review when I get it. They better be good!

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Hey All, I suddenly realized that :
1. I will not be using my headphone for gaming for atleast 6 months.
2. I am not an audio purist.
3. I do not have any DVD player/TV set up.
4. I will use headphones only for watching Netflix online/DVD rental movies on my laptop.
5. I can get $200 - $300 headphones ( Maybe Astro A40) when I am returning to India after 6 months.

:) So I went ahead and ordered JVC HA-RX900 and Fioo E5 (58+21 = $79 - shipping included) on amazon!! Waiting for them to arrive! Will post a mini review when I get it. They better be good!

I'm glad you found a solution! Happy listening my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back