Shure wants $145 to fix my E500 cables--Do it? Or move on?
Sep 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 37
I received a canned response basically saying the same thing.  Rather disappointed that they don't stand behind their product more, but I will likely do a remold/recable from Inearz.  No more Shures for me in the future!

Quote:
We don't repair earphone only replace them. Since we discontinued and no longer available E500 we will exchange it with SE530 under the part # of SER010 for a flat rate fee of $ 145.00 plus tax.Please see www.shure.com/service for directions on having your product repaired and possible pricing if it is outside of warranty.

It seems like Shure doesn't really understand how to support a premium product.  The rep doesn't even sound like he really read my email, going on about "possible pricing if it is outside of warranty".  Should I try to escalate this up the chain of command?

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #17 of 37
did you read clieos response. These don't come apart easily. You get new phones for only $145 and what does everyone expect after 3 years. Labor to get these apart and rebuilt would actually cost more. Like I said, ask for 535s and see what happens. The price represents them willing to not make additional profit on something that retsils at 3X the price. I think it more than fair.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 37
I don't see how Shure is not standing behind their product. It sure looks like they are. Your E500 is out of warranty and they are offering you $145 for a new SE530. They could easily just tell you no and buy something new but they offer you a nice discount instead. They don't have to do that you know.

Also I hope you realize that remolding will cost more than $145.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
I received a canned response basically saying the same thing.  Rather disappointed that they don't stand behind their product more, but I will likely do a remold/recable from Inearz.  No more Shures for me in the future!

It seems like Shure doesn't really understand how to support a premium product.  The rep doesn't even sound like he really read my email, going on about "possible pricing if it is outside of warranty".  Should I try to escalate this up the chain of command?

I think you as a consumer is demanding too much. $145 for a brand new SE530 is a great deal. What kind of realistic support were you expecting?

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #20 of 37
Remolding costs $117, because I can get the molds done by an ENT friend for free.  And I certainly expect a $450 earphone to last longer than three years!!

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
I think you as a consumer is demanding too much. $145 for a brand new SE530 is a great deal. What kind of realistic support were you expecting?

You are oversimplifying a lot.  It's more like spending $595 on E500/SE530's, with the distinct possibility of future repairs.  High end headphones should last a long time, period.  I had Etymotic ER-4P's for several years with no problems.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 37
Only Koss offers life warranty (and some of Maximo's), every other IEM companies sell two things to you: a new product in full package and a guarantee that it will function as advertised in a certain duration of time after the purchase. Just because one ER4P last a long time doesn't means Etymotic won't charge a fee for part replacement on another fresh out-of-warranty ER4. On a side note, there were quite a few reports of ER4P nozzle crack back on 2005, even for a pair of IEM model that has been on the market for 14 yrs back then.

Quote:
You are oversimplifying a lot.  It's more like spending $595 on E500/SE530's, with the distinct possibility of future repairs.  High end headphones should last a long time, period.  I had Etymotic ER-4P's for several years with no problems.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #25 of 37
When I first got my E500s the cable cracked where it goes over the ear.  On both sides.  At the time they were just out of the warranty period and after calling them, I sent them back and received the 530s under warranty.  They admitted the cable issue and said the cabling for the 530 was an improvement, but it doesn't sound like it.  Maybe thats why they went with the replacable cable now.  My 530s are out of warranty now and if I have another problem, I'll probably go custom with them.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #26 of 37
I bought my E500 in 2007, and later broke them, then Shure replaced them with the new 530s. Then, in the second year of the warranty, the cables cracked where they go over the ear. Shure replaced it again with a brand new one. Now the cables are cracked again at the same place but I am out of warranty, so I fixed them with duct tape.

Obviously, I am very happy with Shure support. They replaced my earphones twice. I am also very happy with the sound quality I get. But the cabling is a big issue. I would be very happy to pay $145 or even $200 for a replacement to the new SE535 where the cables can be easily replaced.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #27 of 37
My e500's were replaced multiple times. A guy named John who was head of that department always helped me out every time I called.  In my opinion I would just upgrade for the $145 and either sell them or stick with them.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:
I bought my E500 in 2007, and later broke them, then Shure replaced them with the new 530s. Then, in the second year of the warranty, the cables cracked where they go over the ear. Shure replaced it again with a brand new one. Now the cables are cracked again at the same place but I am out of warranty, so I fixed them with duct tape.

Obviously, I am very happy with Shure support. They replaced my earphones twice. I am also very happy with the sound quality I get. But the cabling is a big issue. I would be very happy to pay $145 or even $200 for a replacement to the new SE535 where the cables can be easily replaced.

If you still have the 530's then you could email btg-audio about recabling them for you.  Or you could go the reshell route instead.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #30 of 37
Can someone explain what reshelling or customizing means?
My e500 cables are fine but the right tube snapped off.
I was going to try and glue it but I'm as handy as Homer Simpson.
Maybe shure will send me a new pair for $145...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back