shure srh840, 750dj or ath m50?
Dec 14, 2009 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

big jake

New Head-Fier
un-amped for portable use with i-pod. wide variety of music. Can anyone shed light on the pro`s and con`s of each, and if anyone has any other suggestions I would be very grateful. They have to be full size, cos I don`t like the feel of anything else. thanks in advance

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 6
The 750s are the only one that would sound great via a sansa fuze. I own the 750dj, currently trying to sell it though. It's better than the D1k outside of comfort. I'm just not a closed back fan.

neither the m50 or the 840 will sound as nice as the 750dj will unamped.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 6
For what it's worth, I'm keeping my M50 and getting rid of my SRH750DJ. I just think the M50 have a great sound, and really works with all kinds of genres. I found the 750DJ to be a bit more like a M-Audio Q40 sound, but with too prominent of bass that veiled a lot of the sound. The highs will pierce through the veil every now and then, but the headphone overall just felt out of place. I know some people will really enjoy it as it is quite different from other similar bassy headphones, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I would compare the 750DJ to Equation RP21 and M-Audio Q40.

The M50 just seem to fit in a different crowd I felt, and seem to be more enjoyable for vocals than any other bassy headphone I've listened to. I actually found the M50 easier to drive with my Sansa Fuze than the 750DJ. Both, however, are easily cable of being unamped.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I'm keeping my M50 and getting rid of my SRH750DJ. I just think the M50 have a great sound, and really works with all kinds of genres. I found the 750DJ to be a bit more like a M-Audio Q40 sound, but with too prominent of bass that veiled a lot of the sound. The highs will pierce through the veil every now and then, but the headphone overall just felt out of place. I know some people will really enjoy it as it is quite different from other similar bassy headphones, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I would compare the 750DJ to Equation RP21 and M-Audio Q40.

The M50 just seem to fit in a different crowd I felt, and seem to be more enjoyable for vocals than any other bassy headphone I've listened to. I actually found the M50 easier to drive with my Sansa Fuze than the 750DJ. Both, however, are easily cable of being unamped.

I had both as well and returned the SRH750DJ also. Mainly because the 750DJ did not fit so great.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 6
The 840s are great but you really need an amp to get the most out of them. They're also a little on the heavy side, which can be uncomfortable. Most people like to bring up the M50 but unless you burn them in a few hundred hours or dampen the bass their sound is a little on the dark side. Have you considered the SRH-440? It's a fraction of the cost of the others and out of a portable source it sounds very similar to the 840. (albeit seemingly easier to drive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back